If I don't sign new contract, fired...

7 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Sounds like many of you are from the UK where labour laws are actually enforced. Being from the USA, where they are NOT enforced, I'm a bit surprised that anyone would think that Thailand would enforce these laws in favour of a farang. when they don't even treat their own people fairly. I have never worked in Thailand, I am only retired here, but I hear many stories from average Thai people, usually women. Why would the OP be exempt from the usual pattern of corruption and scofflaw? It's a serious question, not an invitation to a flame. Answers would be informative.

I agree. Thinking that a trip to labour office would help is fantasy.  It would probably make matters worse.  Just leave the job and move on. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Sounds like many of you are from the UK where labour laws are actually enforced. Being from the USA, where they are NOT enforced, I'm a bit surprised that anyone would think that Thailand would enforce these laws in favour of a farang. when they don't even treat their own people fairly. I have never worked in Thailand, I am only retired here, but I hear many stories from average Thai people, usually women. Why would the OP be exempt from the usual pattern of corruption and scofflaw? It's a serious question, not an invitation to a flame. Answers would be informative.

The labour department and courts are very good here. They tend to take the employee's side in any grievances regarding unfair dismissal and termination of contracts - regardless of nationality of the employee.  Most companies would prefer not to fight cases in the labour courts, because they are often required to pay more than just the last months salary. 

Perhaps, what you have heard are complaints by factory workers on long hours for low wages, with little in the way of benefits.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

The labour act is rigidly enforced in Thailand, especially when it comes to unfair dismissal and / or severance payments, I'd agree that certain companies do not comply with the laws, a lot do get taken to task for this, you would be genuinely surprised I am certain.

37 minutes ago, stud858 said:

I agree. Thinking that a trip to labour office would help is fantasy.  It would probably make matters worse.  Just leave the job and move on. 

Total rubbish, the labour department would advise any employee that is grieved, obviously within the confines of the labour act, in reality, the labour protection act in Thailand is far more protective than say the UK in certain aspects.

Private school.

Some Filipinos got under 600 on their English exam and were allowed to stay till the end of month.

I've seen like 30 teachers leave, but somehow I can't.  55555

3 months..... September easy.  Should be doable.

The ONLY headache is leaving the country after WP handed to labor office and going to immigration.  Maybe I'll fly out this time....

6 hours ago, KhunFred said:

You both know NOTHING about how it really works here and should refrain from sprouting nonsense. The labor office DOES help foreign people against a Thai employer and have done this MANY times.  

57 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You both know NOTHING about how it really works here and should refrain from sprouting nonsense. The labor office DOES help foreign people against a Thai employer and have done this MANY times.  

Thai people tell me that's the way it is and I've been here long enough to know how I've been treated when approaching government offices for help.  Some may get great help from the labour office. Some maybe you have heard of. Share the stories.  It may encourage me to bother visiting the labour office if the need ever arise. But otherwise I can't help but be sceptical as I live and breathe.

• Sad 1

That's what i was thinking....I want to talk to the Labor department first....

i have time on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday....

another thing:  I am the HEAD teacher, in charge of 7 foreign teachers.  5 of them don't have a proper work permit.  I think 3 are on like 3 month probation...

it's a mess
You have information that could get them into trouble use it well.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, stud858 said:

Thai people tell me that's the way it is and I've been here long enough to know how I've been treated when approaching government offices for help.  Some may get great help from the labour office. Some maybe you have heard of. Share the stories.  It may encourage me to bother visiting the labour office if the need ever arise. But otherwise I can't help but be sceptical as I live and breathe.

They are wrong and the attitude of other government offices have nothing to do with how the labor office works. You can be skeptical but don't give other people BS advice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

They are wrong and the attitude of other government offices have nothing to do with how the labor office works. You can be skeptical but don't give other people BS advice.

But I think your advice is bad.  If the gentleman goes to the labour office it may make more problems for him with his employer. My advice was to move on.  

I don't agree with you and you don't agree with me.  All good. Let him decide. 

Edited by stud858
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I understand the OP's current situation to be as follows:

1. He gave his employer, a school, timely notice of termination of his current employment contract.

2. Subsequently, he accepted and signed a new contract for employment with the same employer until the end of September 2018.

Therefore, I believe that under these circumstances the OP has currently no valid cause for a claim for separation pay and I suggest to discontinue discussions along that line.

• Thanks 1