If I don't sign new contract, fired...

My contract goes to next April.  We changed my schedule, now they want to pay me less.

If I don't sign, fired immediately.

Is this even worth complaining to the labor department?  

Should I wait to be fired?  I'm not taking a 10000 pay cut.

I'm not an expert on this however as you have fixed contract they can choose not to renew it without paying you anything. As you are still currently under contract if they want to get rid of now they will have to pay you 3 months of severance pay.

Don't turn in your work permit yourself as this means you resign and they don't have to pay you anything which is what they are hoping for.

• Like 1

Your employer is breaking the labour act by doing this, they can improve conditions / salary without your consent, but not the other way around, to lower conditions during the contract period requires both the employer and employee to agree on the terms, to threaten you with the sack is most definitely not correct, as it stands now you would be entitled to 3 months severance pay.

Be careful that they do not just lower the conditions without a new contract, if you do not lodge a complaint within 2 to 3 months, then you would be deemed as being complicit.

18 minutes ago, IamRoach said:

I'm not an expert on this however as you have fixed contract they can choose not to renew it without paying you anything

Not strictly true, an employer cannot just keep issuing back to back fixed contracts, as this would be deemed as continuous employment.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mattd said:

Your employer is breaking the labour act by doing this, they can improve conditions / salary without your consent, but not the other way around, to lower conditions during the contract period requires both the employer and employee to agree on the terms, to threaten you with the sack is most definitely not correct, as it stands now you would be entitled to 3 months severance pay.

Be careful that they do not just lower the conditions without a new contract, if you do not lodge a complaint within 2 to 3 months, then you would be deemed as being complicit.

Not strictly true, an employer cannot just keep issuing back to back fixed contracts, as this would be deemed as continuous employment.

Problem being many believe it to be true.

My wife had two contracts completed covering 7 years or so with the same company on two different jobs Both construction/fabrication contracts. She moved location along with the rest of her admin staff to the second job.

At the end of the second  contract the company claimed she was entitled only to severence on the shorter second contract.

The labour court checked tax records and awarded severence based on 7 years continuous work for the same company plus one months notice.

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Problem being many believe it to be true.

Assume you mean employers believing that issuing a fixed term contract yearly is OK and a way around paying out severance?

I have personal experience with this, as in my previous company we employed Thai seafarers on a trip by trip basis, where they were also paid for their time off, the time came, unfortunately, to reduce the numbers of crew on the books when we sold a vessel, we did not pay out redundancy as we were (wrongly) advised that it wasn't necessary by the legal department, several of the crew took the company to the labour courts and won, the judgement was that, even though they were on a trip by trip contract, the fact that they were being paid 12 months per year deemed it that their employment was continuous and they were awarded compensation according to the number of years with the company in line with labour act.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, overherebc said:

The labour court checked tax records and awarded severence based on 7 years continuous work for the same company plus one months notice.

Yes, this is exactly how they do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, overherebc said:

They cannot reduce your salary unless mutually agreed.

Even if they told you you will be the new toilet cleaner they still cannot reduce what they pay you.

Signing a new contract every year makes no difference to your work period considered for severence pay.

3 years or whatever on a single contract is exactly the same as 3 years on yearly contracts.

The labour office award severence in disputes based on your continuous tax records not your contracts.

Even if you sign a fixed period contract you are still entitled to severence.

Them firing you for refusing to sign makes no difference to severence paid.

Just make sure anything you sign has been explained to you by the labour office not your employer.

What he said.  The labor office frowns on companies pulling that kind of crap to get employees to quit instead of terminating them with severance.  This, according to the attorney a group of us hired when our company was going through downsizing.  Once your contract goes beyond a year, you're considered a full time, permanent employee for severance purposes.

Now, watch out for other tricks, like calling you out (with written warnings) for being late, missing work, taking long lunches, etc.  They may try to terminate you with cause, but they need to build a case for it.

Of course, you may decide to stay on and accept the 10,000 cut in pay if you have no viable options.

I will tell them I'm not signing.  I've done once before.  

How will I know for sure they fired me?  Sounds funny, but can can call the labor department and somehow I keep working here with my work permit?  55555.

I hope once they fire me, someone at the labor department comes here....

• Like 1

I'm going to guess that this is a teaching contract (based on the May start date). In that case you will have major problems getting any severance pay out of your employer as schools are exempt from certain rules.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, impulse said:

Now, watch out for other tricks, like calling you out (with written warnings) for being late, missing work, taking long lunches, etc.  They may try to terminate you with cause, but they need to build a case for it.

Yes, they may well try to do this, however, this is not as easy as it sounds, the written warning would have to be for the same thing etc. a person can have several written warnings for differing things on record without an issue.

It does sound like they are trying to terminate the contract without paying up, by forcing the OP to quit, my advice would be to hang in there.

2 minutes ago, Norrad said:

I'm going to guess that this is a teaching contract (based on the May start date). In that case you will have major problems getting any severance pay out of your employer as schools are exempt from certain rules.

Really, I am certainly not aware of this, it is not my line of business, but all employers are subject to the labour act as far as I am aware, do you have any link where it states different?

• Like 2

So how will I know I'm fired?

I have no problem turnng in my work permit tomorrow.  

But if not fired, can they blacklist me?  If fired, can they blacklist me?

Can they do anything else?

3 minutes ago, puukao said:

So how will I know I'm fired?

I have no problem turnng in my work permit tomorrow.  

But if not fired, can they blacklist me?  If fired, can they blacklist me?

Can they do anything else?

They would have to terminate you under the terms of your contract, i.e. notice period, whether they must serve written termination or not etc. 

Blacklist in what way?

You should keep a diary of every little detail and event, timings, dates etc. so if it goes to court this can be used as evidence, you should keep the offered new contract, unsigned as further evidence.

Try to keep all contact written, i.e. on email, this will further help your case.

Edited by Mattd

2 minutes ago, puukao said:

Can they make it impossible to teach any where else?  Like call ministry of education or something....

Others will know this better than myself, I personally do not see how they could, so long as your record is clean and it is them that are at fault.

2 minutes ago, puukao said:

How can this go to court,?

Is that common?

I find that rather crazy...

It would if you pursue what you are entitled to, the first step would be to visit your local labour department office and explain what has happened, they will then advise on further action, if any.

Most cases are settled out of court.

It all depends on whether you want to uphold your rights or not, as it would be you taking the school to court.

Seek advice from the labour office before you do anything else, they will help you.

• Like 1

Oh, me take them.  5555.  I don't care.

If I quit and am not technically fired, or if I'm fired, can they take me to court?

I really just want to be done with this place.  

An important side note:. I gave them a 41 day notice to leave.  Contract says 30 days.  41 days is two weeks from now.

If I leave then and I'm somehow not fired, am I 100 percent in the clear.

I want to leave, they are mad I'm leaving and now doing this I guess...

7 minutes ago, puukao said:

If I quit and am not technically fired, or if I'm fired, can they take me to court?

No, so long as you resign within the terms of your contract, this you are perfectly entitled to do.

If you are seriously not worried about getting what you are entitled to under the labour act and are unhappy, then perhaps the best course of action is for you to resign, remembering that this is, of course, exactly what they wanted you to do.

Are you on an extension of stay based on work, or a non b visa? (makes a difference of being able to remain in Thailand or not after resigning)