UK police declare major incident as two people fall ill near Salisbury

webfact

UK police declare major incident as two people fall ill near Salisbury

(Reuters) - British police declared a major incident late on Tuesday after it said a man and a woman in a critical condition may have been exposed to an unknown substance near the southern English town of Salisbury.

"Wiltshire Police and partners have this evening declared a major incident after it is suspected that two people might have been exposed to an unknown substance in Amesbury," the police said in a statement.

"Emergency services were called to an address in Muggleton Road, Amesbury on Saturday evening (June 30) after a man and woman, both in their 40s, were found unconscious in a property," the police said.

Amesbury lies seven miles (11 kms) to the north of Salisbury, where in March Russian former spy Sergei Skripal and his daughter Yulia, fell severely ill after being poisoned by nerve agent.

Police on Wednesday said sites that it believed the man and woman found in Amesbury had frequented in both Amesbury and Salisbury would be cordoned off overnight as a precaution.

It was initially thought the man and woman had possibly used crack cocaine or heroin from a batch of contaminated drugs, police said, adding that further testing was ongoing.

A Public Health England (PHE) spokesman said: "The current advice from PHE England, based upon the number of casualties affected, is that it is not believed that there is a significant health risk to the wider public. This will be continually assessed as further information becomes known."

The man and woman were being treated at Salisbury District Hospital, which remains open as usual, police said.

(Reporting by Andy Bruce in London and Abinaya Vijayaraghavan in Bengaluru; Editing by Leslie Adler and Stephen Coates)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-07-04
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, maximillian said:

I thought it was meant as irony. No ?

People are getting sick of this Novitchok stuff. They should stop it.

Putin is not a fool unlike Trump, May, Johnson, Merkel and Macron.

Well, we shall have to wait and see. Shan't we? 

Anybody who blindly believes what their government tells them is an idiot. Still waiting for them to provide us with proof of Russian involvement and explain how they could have been poisoned with Novochok. 

Not only are they refusing to stop the arbitrary confinement of Julian Assange, they are now kidnapping two Russian citizens. 

Edited by tumama
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, zaphod reborn said:

Putin flexing his muscles prior to his summit with Trump.  Trump will be best served by eating at McDonalds in Helsinki, as he is the ultimate witness in Putin's election tampering scheme.

McDonals is absolutely the most advisable food for trump on this trip with “buddy”. I think he should enjoy multiple double cheeseburgers dripping in grease, morning, noon, dinner and before bed snack. Some greasy, well salted fries would go well with the burgers. And lots of Coke. 

10 hours ago, tumama said:

Anybody who blindly believes what their government tells them is an idiot. Still waiting for them to provide us with proof of Russian involvement and explain how they could have been poisoned with Novochok. 

Not only are they refusing to stop the arbitrary confinement of Julian Assange, they are now kidnapping two Russian citizens. 

Presume you are not convinced this planet is round either...

• Like 1

Just been confirmed it was a nerve agent...

A man and woman found unconscious in Wiltshire were poisoned with Novichok, the same nerve agent as ex-Russian spy Sergei Skripal, police say.

The couple, believed to be Charlie Rowley and Dawn Sturgess, are in a critical condition having been found unconscious at a house on Saturday.

Police say no one else has presented with the same symptoms.

There was "nothing in their background" to suggest the pair were targeted, the Met Police said.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44719639

My thoughts, this couple came across the remnants of the nerve agent  carelessly discarded by the 

Russian agents.

Nice timing right in the middle of the world cup.

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, neeray said:

McDonals is absolutely the most advisable food for trump on this trip with “buddy”. I think he should enjoy multiple double cheeseburgers dripping in grease, morning, noon, dinner and before bed snack. Some greasy, well salted fries would go well with the burgers. And lots of Coke. 

Diet coke or regular............:giggle:

6 hours ago, Basil B said:

Just been confirmed it was a nerve agent...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-44719639

My thoughts, this couple came across the remnants of the nerve agent  carelessly discarded by the 

Russian agents.

Nice timing right in the middle of the world cup.

Dream on, Russians have nothing to do with it, where is your or your governments proof?

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, neeray said:

In case you didn't know, Trump prefers eating at fast food restaurants to lower his risk of being poisoned.  He has been running a Russian-styled organized crime ring for most of his life, and knows from Putin how crime family members who no longer have value are eliminated.

On 7/4/2018 at 11:04 AM, Topdoc said:

zaphod reborn wrote:  "Putin flexing his muscles prior to his summit with Trump.  Trump will be best served by eating at McDonalds in Helsinki, as he is the ultimate witness in Putin's election tampering scheme."

Wow! Talk about jumping to conclusions. 

Well, I guess my conclusion was correct.  https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1046379-uk-counter-terrorism-chief-says-two-people-in-wiltshire-poisoned-with-novichok-nerve-agent/

That's the problem with social media.  We've lost the ability to rationally and logically connect the dots, instead shouting out "fake news" and "conspiracy theory" when we are too lazy to take in all the news sources and think for ourselves.

8 minutes ago, zaphod reborn said:

In case you didn't know, Trump prefers eating at fast food restaurants to lower his risk of being poisoned.  He has been running a Russian-styled organized crime ring for most of his life, and knows from Putin how crime family members who no longer have value are eliminated.

Thank you. I am aware of why trump orders take out from McDonalds. It's about anonymity (nobody knows the food is for him, thus, can't poison him). But I had thought my post was dripping in sarcasm just as the food I want him to eat is dripping in grease. You guessed it. He's not my favorite world leader.