Timing of team’s discovery in cave was matter of luck: NYT

webfact

4 hours ago, Graemej100 said:

What a 'put down' of a story and so bloody what. They did it! The Americans didn't do it. Mistake or luck - they did it!

This is the best story I've had in Thailand for 6 years. How bloody dare you insinuate that it was 'luck'. It was bloody hard work.

From a Kiwi living in Thailand.

I suspect that the Brits are displaying traditional British understatement, modesty and reserve when implying it was 'luck'. I also think cultural sensitivities are in play here - to ease the possibly ruffled nationalistic feathers of some grandstanding generals ...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I suspect that the Brits are displaying traditional British understatement, modesty and reserve when implying it was 'luck'. I also think cultural sensitivities are in play here - to ease the possibly ruffled nationalistic feathers of some grandstanding generals ...

Not too mention the feathers that have been ruffled on here

• Haha 1

And  so  claim  to  accolade   comes   so  fast in  support from  those  who  rode  upon  the  back of  tireless   donkeys as  assumed in  such  claim. Is  that  claim  from  the   riders  or  the the  grasping fans  of   national identity devoid of any  personal  attribute  let  alone  relevant  to  this situation?

If  they are willing let the individuals involved clarify  the  entire evolution of events.

In  reality  there  will  be  no  heroes  until such  time as these children reach  open air.

At  that  moment  all and  any  in any significant  contribution will deserve   heroic status on  the basis of  that  and not   nationality.

Consider  for  even  just a  moment where this diving  team  gained  experience sufficient to be considered best  suited to  vanguard this urgent effort.

I   congratulate  them as  much as in their  success in first sighting  this  stranded  group as I do  in  them having  confidence  in  the  support that  made  that  possible.

1 minute ago, oldlakey said:

Not too mention the feathers that have been ruffled on here

If it turns out what is being reported is true the MVP of this crisis may very well be Thai. Seems the young coach being ridiculed and threatened with arrest actually didn't lead the boys into the cave. He was contacted by several of the parents when the sons didn't arrive home. He went looking for them and most likely saved all of them with wise leadership. I think we can all agree the outcome most likely would have been different without his presence there for those nine days. Might be best to say there were multiple MVPs, like about 1000.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

If it turns out what is being reported is true the MVP of this crisis may very well be Thai. Seems the young coach being ridiculed and threatened with arrest actually didn't lead the boys into the cave. He was contacted by several of the parents when the sons didn't arrive home. He went looking for them and most likely saved all of them with wise leadership. I think we can all agree the outcome most likely would have been different without his presence there for those nine days. Might be best to say there were multiple MVPs, like about 1000.

My comment was aimed at those childish nationalistic feathers nothing else

As I have already pointed out this has been recognized as a joint effort by many of the TVM who have posted

When in the early days a member said in one of the threads that he hoped they did not wander off looking for a way out, my reply was for them to stay where they were and wait for rescue

It was assumed the coach had taken them into the cave at that time

58 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

If it turns out what is being reported is true the MVP of this crisis may very well be Thai. Seems the young coach being ridiculed and threatened with arrest actually didn't lead the boys into the cave. He was contacted by several of the parents when the sons didn't arrive home. He went looking for them and most likely saved all of them with wise leadership. 

Source?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAZZDOG said:

Praise for assistant coach who sacrificed himself for the good of the team #63

Yeah, that looks like a very reliable source – an unknown Thai poster supposedly quoting The Telegraph (without linking to a story) but showing a picture of The Times. 

This looks way more like a false rumour than a real source. But feel free to link to the corresponding article in either publication to prove me wrong. I would love to believe the guy a hero; let's see some evidence. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

What is wrong with you people? If all you can do is carp and moan at each other, and muddy the waters with asinine comments, you are no better than the newshounds and the politicians, cobbling together yesterdays' stories into todays' "news". 

I for one am fed up ploughing through endless pages of rubbish to find out what is really happening. Just accept that the experts are on hand, doing the best they can in difficult circumstances, and really don't give a monkeys' what you think about it. If by some strange chance you know better than they do, stop pontificating......go and help.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, pathologix said:

Yeah, that looks like a very reliable source – an unknown Thai poster supposedly quoting The Telegraph (without linking to a story) but showing a picture of The Times. 

This looks way more like a false rumour than a real source. But feel free to link to the corresponding article in either publication to prove me wrong. I would love to believe the guy a hero; let's see some evidence. 

Several other sources also. My Thai gf heard it on local Thai news. News gathered on TVF is often rumor, I rely much more on local programing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grusa said:

What is wrong with you people? If all you can do is carp and moan at each other, and muddy the waters with asinine comments, you are no better than the newshounds and the politicians, cobbling together yesterdays' stories into todays' "news". 

I for one am fed up ploughing through endless pages of rubbish to find out what is really happening. Just accept that the experts are on hand, doing the best they can in difficult circumstances, and really don't give a monkeys' what you think about it. If by some strange chance you know better than they do, stop pontificating......go and help.

If your fed up simply tune out and read something else.

• Like 1

CNN reported:

Claus Rasmussen, who is part of the rescue team, said the boys have told divers they heard dogs barking, a rooster crowing and children playing. That information now has teams looking at whether there is a chimney or hole they can access instead of trying to get the boys out through the water.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JAZZDOG said:

Praise for assistant coach who sacrificed himself for the good of the team #63

I totally agree with  (Praise) ..The  sign at entrance says July not enter ( Warning ) , they went in June 23rd...why crucify the coach . Also be the officials (Governor ) who should of had a locked gate at entrance of cave ..also slam the Governor who also failed to mention the Brits...Think coach was maybe  wrong or even stupid for taking in there in the first place, ...But He saved them...Just think what if he had not been there? ?

5 hours ago, Russell17au said:

The way that a lot of you a carrying on anyone would think that the Thai's just sat on their asses while waiting for 5 days for these 3 Brits to arrive.

No the didn't just sit on their asses for 5 days waiting for the 3 Brits to arrive, on day 2 the hammock delivery arrived.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JAZZDOG said:

CNN reported:

Claus Rasmussen, who is part of the rescue team, said the boys have told divers they heard dogs barking, a rooster crowing and children playing. That information now has teams looking at whether there is a chimney or hole they can access instead of trying to get the boys out through the water. 

Auditory hallucinations. It would be expected in these conditions.

• Like 1

I am sure that the Command Team have been keeping detailed logs of every single part of this operation. It would be really interesting if (after the whole incident has been concluded and debriefed) we could have access to all that information to see the parts played by all the people involved, some of whom we have hardly heard of.

For example, a couple of days ago I read that the Chinese team of six divers had been tasked with securing guide ropes throughout all the underwater sections of the route to Pattaya Beach. That is a vital piece of work (I imagine it's dangerous work too), but hardly mentioned again in the media.

I have read that Aussies, Germans, Swedes, Laotians, the US Navy and others have been involved in this rescue - but they have not received much press (well, the gorgeous USN Jessica Tate did get quite a lot of attention).

Regarding the Brits (I am British (English)): Nobody can deny that they have done a great job so far and they have not claimed any recognition for it.

I suspect that those guys will, modestly, credit any success to the whole team. To me, that is very honest and "British".

Edited by Ron19
Off topic comment

7 hours ago, pathologix said:

If the divine power of cave spirits proves to be correct, then that prognosticating monk is a top-notch guy. But until something approaching evidence appears, in either instance, I'm going to stick to the details provided by fact-checked, respectable news sources, not Internet memes and rumours

OK I am with you on this

You have to admit it would leave a nice cuddly feeling though

One last point I am glad you employed the "IF"word in your POST just like yours truly

Have a nice day