Beer heiress loses bid for financial aid to fight treason charge

webfact

Beer heiress loses bid for financial aid to fight treason charge

By THE NATION

8607ac788af5e90454d428b25ae81b79.jpeg

Chitpas Kridakorn

THE JUSTICE Ministry has set aside a request for financial assistance from beer heiress and politician Chitpas Kridakorn to contest a treason charge after she failed to verify her suitability within the given time.

Justice deputy permanent secretary and spokesman Thawatchai Thaikhiew said yesterday that following Chitpas’s initial application seeking financial help from the Justice Fund, the fund had requested that she submit her tax documents to prove she should be a priority.

The ministry’s fund managers had sent her a request form by mail, Thawatchai said, but it was not signed for and was returned to the fund.

Subsequently, fund managers chose not to scrap her request, Thawatchai added.

Chitpas was eligible to re-apply anytime, the spokesman said. 

The Justice Fund was set up in 2006 and is open to anyone needing financial assistance in pursuit of a lawsuit but gives priority to low-income earners.

Chitpas is widely recognised as an heiress to a giant beverage corporation, and has changed her surname at her family’s request. 

It has been speculated that she had applied for financial assistance to stall for time in the criminal cases against her. 

The charges stem from the 2013 to 2014 demonstrations aimed at toppling the Yingluck Shinawatra administration.

Chitpas was one of the key leaders in the now-defunct movement officially known as the People’s Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC).

She had postponed a meeting with public prosecutors, citing the pending application to the Justice Fund.

The fund reportedly sought financial documents from Chitpas several times and extended the time period for her to respond, but officials say that she never did.

Chitpas has also faced severe public censure after the news went public about her application to the fund. 

She had a previous case regarding her social and financial status.

During the PDRC protest, Chitpas gave an interview to a foreign media outlet that was perceived as an insult to rural people. The incident has made her a prime target of criticism ever since.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30349324

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-05
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Beer heiress seeks financial aid to fight treason charge in court?

Doesn't she have enough money stashed away in the bank to pay for her defence?

What a cheek asking for a handout from public taxpayers money.

Next she'll be asking for public funds to wash her rolls royce.

Was stalling for more time and perhaps trying to get sympathy making it look like Family disowned her?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Interesting fall from grace.  Given the Thai alcoholic beverage market is practically a monopoly backed by the wet blanket himself.   The man that actually finalized the coup.  She is now filing for financial aid.  Odd that she cannot imagine how bad this looks.  She now knows what it feels like to be in the out crowd.

She should have socked away enough money to charter a plane out of Cambodia to seek asylum in Europe, like any other Thai politico.

• Like 1

"She epitomizes everything that is wrong in Thailand..."

Actually, she epitomizes everything that's wrong with most third world countries, and what we see today in a number western nations. Greed and power are not the exclusive entity of Thailand. The only difference is that western nations do it on a bigger scale. The common factor is the dumbing down  of the general populace to the point that they will believe any information the power brokers bombard them with through mass media. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

53 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

Interesting fall from grace.  Given the Thai alcoholic beverage market is practically a monopoly backed by the wet blanket himself.   The man that actually finalized the coup.  She is now filing for financial aid.  Odd that she cannot imagine how bad this looks.  She now knows what it feels like to be in the out crowd.

She should have socked away enough money to charter a plane out of Cambodia to seek asylum in Europe, like any other Thai politico.

Some people are just too closed minded she is one of them. Maybe she can see how bad it looks but wants to make a statement. I don't know but its of course more then shameful having loads of money and wanting aid that is for the poor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Some people are just too closed minded she is one of them. Maybe she can see how bad it looks but wants to make a statement. I don't know but its of course more then shameful having loads of money and wanting aid that is for the poor.

I agree to an extent. I thought that this must be to make some kind of statement. I just can't think of what it might be. Any ideas?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, tomta said:

I agree to an extent. I thought that this must be to make some kind of statement. I just can't think of what it might be. Any ideas?

I am not sure, but there must be more to it unless she really is this stupid. I can't imagine anyone wanting their reputation soiled even more by doing this. I mean if you have money and can pay for lawyers why use up a fund that is foor poor people their legal assistance and place yourself in the spotlight doing something repulsive. Why would you do something like that IMHO 2 options.. utter stupidity or a statement.. but I have no idea what that statement might be. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tomta said:

After reading the BKK post i got some more info... presumably she made the request knowing it would fail but hoping it would postpone the court case. But the court said it was no reason to postpone the trial. 

• Thanks 1

utter stupidity or a statement.. but I have no idea what that statement might be. 

Me neither, so my guess is its just utter stupidity.

I remember the pics of her, coming by on the CSILA page, where she was posing near the airport bikelane with her 400,000 baht bike.

And then claiming you don't have money for a lawyer... Guess the thought she didn't have cash, and that makes her poor and entitled to handouts.

In her defense: why not try it?

Even one of the most corrupt politicians, who brought down a government with his corrupt actions and was mistrusted by his own party for his corruptness (Suthep), was able to lead a protest to oust another corrupt government (yingluck), under the slogan "stop corruption". And all this helped bring in the leader of one of the most corrupt organisations (Prayut) to lead the country by gunpoint.

Two years from now she can become the spokesperson of the poor, she only needs her pic taken with some poor people once a month for 6 months in a row.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bob12345 said:

Me neither, so my guess is its just utter stupidity.

I remember the pics of her, coming by on the CSILA page, where she was posing near the airport bikelane with her 400,000 baht bike.

And then claiming you don't have money for a lawyer... Guess the thought she didn't have cash, and that makes her poor and entitled to handouts.

In her defense: why not try it?

Even one of the most corrupt politicians, who brought down a government with his corrupt actions and was mistrusted by his own party for his corruptness (Suthep), was able to lead a protest to oust another corrupt government (yingluck), under the slogan "stop corruption". And all this helped bring in the leader of one of the most corrupt organisations (Prayut) to lead the country by gunpoint.

Two years from now she can become the spokesperson of the poor, she only needs her pic taken with some poor people once a month for 6 months in a row.

It was not.. see my post 17 i made it after reading something in the BKK post. She was hoping that the request would delay the trial. Too bad for her it does not.

1 hour ago, tomta said:

Yes. 'This is how you'll end up if you are rich and spoilt from childhood.'

22 minutes ago, robblok said:

It was not.. see my post 17 i made it after reading something in the BKK post. She was hoping that the request would delay the trial. Too bad for her it does not.

Which to me is more proof of utter stupidity; she made an initial request but didn't follow up on it so delays were not really possible, it backfired like hell on her personal imagine, and a delay is just that... postponing what will come eventually.

Stupidity.

41 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Which to me is more proof of utter stupidity; she made an initial request but didn't follow up on it so delays were not really possible, it backfired like hell on her personal imagine, and a delay is just that... postponing what will come eventually.

Stupidity.

Yes its stupid... but she had a reason.. just did not think it through.. stupid. I have nothing with her, i just wondered why anyone would let their image be tarnished even more by pulling such a stunt. 

2 hours ago, robblok said:

After reading the BKK post i got some more info... presumably she made the request knowing it would fail but hoping it would postpone the court case. But the court said it was no reason to postpone the trial. 

Yeah that makes sense. No point of principle but a cynical delaying tactic. Presumably, she'll find one that works sooner or later. Already 4 years delay.

1 minute ago, tomta said:

Yeah that makes sense. No point of principle but a cynical delaying tactic. Presumably, she'll find one that works sooner or later. Already 4 years delay.

4 years is nothing.. look at all those court cases stretching 10 years and so on. The rich always stall stall and stall and in the end everyone has forgotten it and cases get stopped. 

I don't like all those delays but it seems the norm for Thailands rich. (unfortunately). 

Yes its stupid... but she had a reason.. just did not think it through.. stupid. I have nothing with her, i just wondered why anyone would let their image be tarnished even more by pulling such a stunt. 

The Thai upper crust must have a different sense of values than other parts of the world, as they make no sense to outsiders.   Politically and reputation wise she is done in Thailand.  Coming from extravagant wealth and bestowed privilege to use the farce of being broke to delay a court case ?  A new low for the inbreds that run Thailand. 

Edited by yellowboat
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, yellowboat said:

The Thai upper crust must have a different sense of values than other parts of the world, as they make no sense to outsiders.   Politically and reputation wise she is done in Thailand.  Coming from extravagant wealth and bestowed privilege to use the farce of being broke to delay a court case ?  A new low for the inbreds that run Thailand. 

Were you not living in Malaysia ? I believe the king of corruption lives there ? ? Even Thaksin never stole that much ?

Anyway now it seems that at least she did not think she was entitled to money that was for the poor but just a delaying tactic something that they (all those with money on all sides of the political spectrum) always do. 

I of course disagree with all those delaying tactics no matter who uses them. The time court cases take here is appalling .

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, maxcorrigan said:

I think her family's request to change her surname says a lot about her, seems the family want to distance themselves from her!

of course, its bad for business.

• Like 1