Royal Project Food produce store appears closed!

Jingthing

This was the small store on the right hand side as you enter Central Festival mall on the ground floor from 2nd road. Different than the large Central Food hall supermarket. The stock was very unpredictable, but very good produce at good prices. The place is now boarded up with no indication that it's a renovation. Oh well! 

https://www.happycow.net/reviews/royal-project-foundation-pattaya-52390

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Dexlowe said:

That's a shame. Until I returned home last year I was a regular there for years -- the staff became quite friendly towards me over time. 

Yeah, I've been shopping there regularly. I was shocked but not too shocked. I had noticed that recently fairly often the produce shelves were really poorly stocked. 

18 hours ago, tolsti said:

I used to be able to get reasonably priced mushrooms from there and their other veg was very well priced. I think the nearest now is at Suvarnabhumi on the same level as the trains.

Pattaya Sukhumvit southbound just before the Pattaya Tai traffic lights... unless that has closed too?

Maybe they are relocating/consolidating at Terminal 21?

6 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Pattaya Sukhumvit southbound just before the Pattaya Tai traffic lights... unless that has closed too?

Maybe they are relocating/consolidating at Terminal 21?

No idea chum.... the one we're talking about was in Central Festival.

On 7/8/2018 at 3:55 PM, tolsti said:

No idea chum.... the one we're talking about was in Central Festival.

Yes, and they had another outlet on Sukhumvit.

5 hours ago, balo said:

Yes they are gone. Hopefully will relocate to T21.

You mean the one on Sukhumvit has shuttered as well?

Bit of a bugger as they had seasonal delights like rhubarb, jalapenos, nice avocados and (in Udon) fresh and frozen trout.

Edited by NanLaew
  • Like 1

Correct me if I am wrong but there were the basement, near the food court.  Not the ground floor.

I would always get my espresso there because it was cheaper than anywhere else in that mall.

Edited by lapd

1 hour ago, lapd said:

Correct me if I am wrong but there were the basement, near the food court.  Not the ground floor.

I would always get my espresso there because it was cheaper than anywhere else in that mall.

On the elevator, the floor is marked G for ground, the lowest floor, yes, one floor down from street level. Cultural differences in labeling.

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

On the elevator, the floor is marked G for ground, the lowest floor, yes, one floor down from street level. Cultural differences in labeling.

Ground is ground.  In other words, street level. The food court is below ground.  In other words the basement.  I always take the escalator so I wouldn't know what letters the Thias used on the elevator.

Edited by lapd

5 minutes ago, lapd said:

Ground is ground.  In other words, street level.  The food court is below ground otherwise known as basement.  Not my fault if Thais use G when they should have probably used B.  I don't memorize the letters they use on their elevators.  I always take the escalator.

The first floor is the street level. It's not only Thailand that would label it that.

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/238495/first-floor-vs-ground-floor-usage-origin

• In British English, the floor of a building which is level with the ground is called the ground floor. The floor above it is called the first floor, the floor above that is the second floor, and so on.

• In American English, the floor which is level with the ground is called the first floor, the floor above it is the second floor, and so on.

Cheers. 

Edited by Jingthing

I don't know about the one in Sukhumvit, if they are still open. I used to visit the Royal Project shop when I lived in Chiang Mai to get fresh locally produced strawberries when in season . They were delicious and sweet.

Here in Pattaya I buy their tomatoes and some other vegs. 

Maybe the rent was too high. But you would think Central would make some allowances as it was the Kings "Royal Project".

Or maybe the Expats just could not resist paying 3 x the price in Tops next door

35 minutes ago, Oink said:

Maybe the rent was too high. But you would think Central would make some allowances as it was the Kings "Royal Project".

Or maybe the Expats just could not resist paying 3 x the price in Tops next door

The one at Central Festival indeed has closed but it always seemed quite busy to me. Is it going to move somewhere else in Pattaya. Where can I get Herbal Stevie?

Their presentation was horrible.  You could walk right past without noticing it.  Just looked like some flower shop or something.  Only reason I knew about it was because someone told me about their cheap espresso.

Edited by lapd

Their presentation was horrible.  You could walk right past without noticing it.  Just looked like some flower shop or something.  Only reason I knew about was because someone told me about their cheap espresso.
Interesting.
I didn't think it was that bad but perhaps a sign saying they sold special produce might have helped.
As a local just going in one time and then you know. It was mostly for locals. Tourists don't buy raw cooking ingredients. I think I went in the first time soon after they opened and stopped in there every time I was in the mall.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app