Heavy rains may force early extraction of survivors

rooster59

Heavy rains may force early extraction of survivors

444C3892-5B2E-4087-9272-85CD64797B01.jpeg

Potential heavy rains in the next few days are forcing the rescue teams to consider extracting the 13 survivors out of Tham Luang cave sooner than they have earlier planned, chief of the rescue operation Narongsak Osotthanakorn said.

Speaking at a press briefing at around midnight, Narongsak also admitted that oxygen supply within the chamber where the 12 young footballers and their coach are sheltering has become a major concern.

Narongsak did not spell out specifically how the survivors would be taken out of the cave but hinted that they might have to dive their way out.  He said young soccer players have already started to learn how to dive.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/222296-2/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-07-07
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

this cave dive has now been described as the Mount Everest of cave dives by the international team of experts.

that being said, the kids don't need to learn how to "dive". they need to learn to over come their fear.

they need to learn how to breathe through what ever type of regulator they are provided with. that part is easy.

they need professional masks that fit their face and do not leak. they need to know what to do if their mask somehow gets knocked loose and leaks.

I wonder if they will wear wet suits? then they will have positive buoyancy.    

they don't even need to know how to swim, just kick with dive fins. if they have a Thai seal with them they may not even need to do that as they will just be pulled along.

the small boys or maybe all of the kids will have to have their tank carried for them or it will be on their backs except for the one very tight space.

I saw a video of this tight space and it is extremely tight for a full grow man. maybe not so for the kids. the challenge will be getting the kids through with their tanks no longer on their backs.

they need to rig up a "leash" for the kids to be pulled though the tight spot. 

I hope they have rigged up staging and rest areas at as many points as possible along the route where maybe the kids can be handed to a fresh diver. 

You make it sound easy. New divers can flap about and panic in easy open water conditions, in a cave a lot of experienced divers would be panicking, most BMs would in this situation. The professionals know that the panicking could cause deaths.

I hope those in charge don't try and wing it, one death already

Attempts to extract survivors may begin in next few days

3.jpg

Rescue teams will attempt to bring the 13 survivors out of Tham Luang cave in the next few days before the looming fresh monsoon rains flood the cave system again, chief of the rescue operation Narongsak Osotthanakorn said this morning.

He said the water level in the cave, the state of the health of the 12 young footballers and their coach and the weather at the moment are “most conducive” for the rescue operation.

Speaking at a daily briefing, Narong said all rescue plans are in place and rescue teams have been rehearsing them in the past few days. He also said additional teams of international cave diving experts are on their way to help with the rescue operation. “The are some of the world’s top experts in cave rescue,” he said.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/attempts-extract-survivors-may-begin-next-days/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-07-07
  • Sad 1

Boys Should Come Out Today: Official

By Todd Ruiz, Editor

k1.jpg

CHIANG RAI — The boys should be brought out of the cave today, the head of the rescue operation said Saturday.

Divers are becoming faint inside the cave where 13 people are trapped as falling oxygen, rising carbon dioxide and an expected surge in water levels pose potential disaster to the cave rescue effort.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2018/07/07/boys-should-come-out-today-official/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-07-07

• Like 1

Surely it's better to try to dive at least some of them out now - and perhaps lose 1 or 2 of them, than to leave them all in this cave for 4 months, and perhaps lose all of them plus any rescuers that volunteer to stay with them.

I see in a previous post, that they are moving them due to rising water levels... From what I understand from the cave maps this will entail some diving anyway, including one very tight squeeze - assuming they will be moving back to Pattaya beach.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

I have to say Thai kids have NO FEAR as I have tried to follow Thais on their hopped up scooters while I was on my Kawasaki 650 and there is no way I would dare cut through traffic in the death defying way like they do. I think they will not panic.

Not too sure, most of them were raised on a scooter, maybe with some even conceived on a scooter. 

A scooter is just an extention of themselves. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Thailand said:

I have been around for a few years and a couple of life threatening problems.

I am a very good swimmer..

I can think of nothing much worse than being in an enclosed space with a mask over my face and basically unable to see, this is what facing these kids.

How about being stuck in an enclosed space (about the size of a small room) with around 20 others, for 3-4 months, with a rising water level and nowhere to go except possibly allowing yourself to float up to the roof. With a diminishing oxygen content in the air, and possibly intermittent power for lighting & communications.  Watching your friends and brave "rescuers" also struggling to survive.

This COULD be what happens if they try to sit it out. 

Not an easy decision to make I agree.

• Like 2

I have to say Thai kids have NO FEAR as I have tried to follow Thais on their hopped up scooters while I was on my Kawasaki 650 and there is no way I would dare cut through traffic in the death defying way like they do. I think they will not panic.
There is a thrill and adrenalin rush flying on bike. It's not the same thing

6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

this cave dive has now been described as the Mount Everest of cave dives by the international team of experts.

that being said, the kids don't need to learn how to "dive". they need to learn to over come their fear.

they need to learn how to breathe through what ever type of regulator they are provided with. that part is easy.

they need professional masks that fit their face and do not leak. they need to know what to do if their mask somehow gets knocked loose and leaks.

they don't even need to know how to swim, just kick with dive fins. if they have a Thai seal with them they may not even need to do that as they will just be pulled along.

the small boys or maybe all of the kids will have to have their tank carried for them or it will be on their backs except for the one very tight space.

I saw a video of this tight space and it is extremely tight for a full grow man. maybe not so for the kids. the challenge will be getting the kids through with their tanks no longer on their backs.

I hope they have rigged up staging and rest areas at as many points as possible along the route where maybe the kids can be handed to a fresh diver. 

Along those lines yes. International seal team would have advised. But I recommend the US team handle the extraction only. It won't happen but should 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Along those lines yes. International seal team would have advised. But I recommend the US team handle the extraction only. It won't happen but should 

Have they dived in these caves before?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree with some of the comments these kids are not snowflakes they play football and sports climb into caves ,i do not think they sit in internet cafes and play video games .Plus the guys on the ground seem to be doing a very good job as the one comment said do it so you can get your tickets to the WC final

5 hours ago, Topdoc said:

Stay positive! They can do it although perhaps the boys should be sedated to calm them completely.

It feels like it's time to move now. Why wait? Good luck boys, the whole world is with you!

The sedation is a great idea Doc

I never thought of that and wonder if they have

8 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i agree with one of the divers opinion....drug them, in other words mild sedative, so no anxiety and or drama so to speak...then just pull them out...worth a try