Not-SpaceX Shows Up as Cave Rescue Becomes Circus

Not-SpaceX Shows Up as Cave Rescue Becomes Circus

By Todd Ruiz and Jintamas Saksornchai

1530960946729-e1530961424850-696x508.jpg

Pairoj Toongtong, who owns a hotel and night markets, arrived Saturday to propose a lower-tech version of Elon Musk's already unlikely plan.

CHIANG RAI — When someone showed up with a plan to free the cave 13 through an inflatable tunnel Saturday, it wasn’t one of the SpaceX brainiacs.

The day after news spread that billionaire American futurist Elon Musk was dispatching SpaceX engineers with an innovative plan, a wealthy Bangkok hotel owner and former politician showed up to announce a remarkably similar idea.

But his version involved a “canvas inflation tube,” which he claimed could be inserted into the cave to create a flood-free tunnel for the kids to crawl and walk out.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/calamity/2018/07/07/not-spacex-shows-up-as-cave-rescue-becomes-circus/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2018-07-08
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, toybits said:

4. Is the material of the tube sturdy enough so as not to rip and tear?

All the rest of the points don't matter

It's sturdy & HEAVY, ever worked with large tarpaulins or the Thai printed advertising tarps 

6 minutes ago, toybits said:

This guy is just in it for the publicity. I was looking at this ridiculous plan and have the following questions for him.

1. Has he ever tried to submerge a balloon underwater?

2. Will his escape tube hold its shape while underwater?

3. When fully inflated the tube will be bouyant and rise to the roof of the cave. Will that not cause some difficulties for the exiting kids?

4. Is the material of the tube sturdy enough so as not to rip and tear?

5. How is he going to make sure the internal pressure on the tube remains constant and does not collapse?

6. What if kinks form on the tube - like a garden hose that folds?

1. The pipe will stay underwater as it will be the weight of the kid that travel into it and because part of the narrow cave will hold it down.

2. of course it will as it will be filled up with pressurized air/oxygen.

3. How it will???

4. Solution for not make it rip/tear were given, using teflon pads to cover sharp parts of the cave..

5. you know what a air pump is?

6. again how it will???

you talking about the idea of one of the most brilliant mind of our times, I'm just saying, let the Thais handle this, they will let this kids in there for another 3/4 months or more...

• Confused 5

49 minutes ago, lanista said:

WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON ???

There has been a disaster in Phuket with over 50 tourists dead and  more missing  - feared drowned- and the media is all but ignoring it.

One diver drowns in the cave and its top billing all across the media.

drill drill drill  !!!!!! this whole cave thing has got out of control.

I'm seriously waiting for Cpt Kirk and Spok to fly down and beam them up.

The media is insane.

You forgot to mention that all victims were Chinese , had it been a boat load of Australians would things be different?

• Like 2

I had this exact same idea days ago...

Waterproof tube filled with pure oxygen, kids in thin neoprene wetsuits with oxygen tanks, get a motorized winch and pull the kids thru with divers at all the tricky choke points.

Give the kids a phone with videogames and a few battery packs lol perhaps a sedative to slow breathing, panic.

1 hour ago, lanista said:

There has been a disaster in Phuket with over 50 tourists dead and  more missing  - feared drowned- and the media is all but ignoring it.

The media is insane.

I agree with you about insanity of media but media do not ignore the Phuket tragedy.

1 hour ago, BEVUP said:

As I was watching this several times being demonstrated on live TV, I thought it to be one of the most rediculous ideas out there

* Has one thought how heavy that material is ( how many mtrs are they prepared to drag in IF POSSIBLE )

* Actually there is no need to go on 

As i was watching it also last night, i thought it might just be the solution for the narrow part of the cave the boys otherwise have to dive.

I did a night dive once , and that was already terrifying.

So i don't even dare to imagine kids with no experience under water in a small cave.

By the way I incidentally saw the weekly speech of the PM after the football match.

In the past I sometimes found his explanations a bit propagandistic and pretending people to be dumb.

But this week topped it.

Further comments can't be made here or public...

• Like 2

notice how we haven't heard a peep out of the mining giants?  Is it a payback for the unfair treatment given to Kingsgate?  I can't say for certain, but it seems like it should have been treated like a mining accident the whole time, instead of an underwater rescue.  I was reminded of my shareholder newsletter from Freeport-Macmoran...they had decided to expand from mining into oil and gas exploration...apparently they had struck both so many times in the course of mining that it was an obvious decision..And oil was a lot more valuable than copper, at the time.  But water?  they deal with removing water from extremely deep mines on a daily basis.  Drilling and pumping and providing oxygen and light?  No one more suited for the job than the big miners.

28 minutes ago, moontang said:

notice how we haven't heard a peep out of the mining giants?  Is it a payback for the unfair treatment given to Kingsgate?  I can't say for certain, but it seems like it should have been treated like a mining accident the whole time, instead of an underwater rescue.  I was reminded of my shareholder newsletter from Freeport-Macmoran...they had decided to expand from mining into oil and gas exploration...apparently they had struck both so many times in the course of mining that it was an obvious decision..And oil was a lot more valuable than copper, at the time.  But water?  they deal with removing water from extremely deep mines on a daily basis.  Drilling and pumping and providing oxygen and light?  No one more suited for the job than the big miners.

Not wishing to get off-topic, but mining (& oil/gas) involves initial seismic activities & studies that often take years, then exploratory drilling.  Only then does the hard work start, and it's perhaps 8-10 years until people actually get involved "at the coal-face".  Mines are well mapped with good comms, so in the event of a problem (like the Chilean disaster) they immediately know where they need to go....and it still took over 2 months to rescue them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Not wishing to get off-topic, but mining (& oil/gas) involves initial seismic activities & studies that often take years, then exploratory drilling.  Only then does the hard work start, and it's perhaps 8-10 years until people actually get involved "at the coal-face".  Mines are well mapped with good comms, so in the event of a problem (like the Chilean disaster) they immediately know where they need to go....and it still took over 2 months to rescue them.

valid points, but they have been precisely located.  The limestone is a complication, too.  The miners would have the best geologists, too.  At least a 4-6 inch air hole could be drilled, that isn't rocket science...just some expensive, industrial equipment that the military doesn't have.

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

I had this exact same idea days ago...

Waterproof tube filled with pure oxygen, kids in thin neoprene wetsuits with oxygen tanks, get a motorized winch and pull the kids thru with divers at all the tricky choke points.

Give the kids a phone with videogames and a few battery packs lol perhaps a sedative to slow breathing, panic.

I'm sure this is only your idea. Never heard it anywhere else. 

2 hours ago, lanista said:

The media is insane.

Add - & totally untrustworthy, they are covering up what amounts to manslaughter as it was negligence that caused the sinkings!

• Like 2