• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
50 minutes ago, skippybangkok said:

Bingo - anaesthetist

I have been saying from day 1 they should be sedated to prevent anxiety

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Hindsight is 20/20.  

And we dont know for sure if anastetics will be used and if so to what extent. 

Edit: The armchair quarterbacking/doctoring here is truly amazing. Our patience on the rescue speed is lower than that of a typical Thai driver. 

3 hours ago, Brunolem said:

There has been some confusion in the numbers provided by different sources.

Not sure about the other participant numbers but for the evacuation the Bitish representation is 10 in total. Consisting of 7 cave divers and 3 support personnel, all sent to Thailand via the the British Cave Rescue Council at the direct request of the Thai government.

the total UK team will consist of seven experienced cave divers and three non-divers in support to deal with communications into the cave and to provide general support.

http://www.caverescue.org.uk/further-deployment-of-british-cave-rescue-divers-to-thailand/

No, not at all. The issue was for him to evaluate their fitness to undertake the dive.

Anethetists do not only put people under anesthesia. They are experts in issues of oxygenation, patent airway, etc. This doctor specializies in these issues in underwater setting.

Sedation would NOT be a good idea. People can have what are called "paradoxal" reactions to sedation and even become more agitated. Sometimes allergic reactions occur as well. The boys will need their wits fully about them, they need to be able to remember and follow to the letter the instructions they've been given. Sedatives would also increase risk of respiratory problems. It would be an absolute last resort.

Careful mental preparation and a high level of trust in their rescuers are key and have been worked on for the past few days.

Sorry Sheryl - disagree w you re benefits of sedation ( if it's at all possible at depth ). Having cave dived a little and also having had to deal with 2 panicked divers (not in a cave), I am 100% clear the biggest obstacle is ones inner fears and it can kill quickly

The head of the Brit cave rescue assc. recently said they bound ( immobilized ) and used a divers gag for one extraction- it was clear they did not want a panicked diver to jeopardize the extraction ( which was successful )

It simple - they can get inanimate items in and out of the cave no issue , so the more the boys just so nothing and chill, I would give almost a 100% chance of them gettibg out

Just look at how people panick having MRI's - this is a whole different level

37 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If my time in the military is any sort of a guide, the only reward the rank and file will get will be a sense of satisfaction for having assisted the successful rescue of small boys and their coach. I hope they get a few days off after it is all over.

I wasn't thinking so much of the military, but a bit more recognision wouldn't go astray. 

1 minute ago, Artisi said:

I wasn't thinking so much of the military, but a bit more recognision wouldn't go astray. 

Plenty of recognition will be given to the officers, in the same way that officers get medals for battles that were won by the guys in the mud. I'll be happy if the media shows any of the dozens of privates up close and personal, but I'm not holding my breath.

2 minutes ago, Aforek said:

Good ! let's not forget everybody, making food or anything else is also a part of the rescue 

Yes, I recall 2004...

weeks afterwards while they were trying to ID the bodies, a BBC news crew were doing a piece and were constantly interrupted by volunteers giving food out, everybody wanted to do their bit.

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Plenty of recognition will be given to the officers, in the same way that officers get medals for battles that were won by the guys in the mud. I'll be happy if the media shows any of the dozens of privates up close and personal, but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't wish to see any ones privates up close and personal. But its a team that is stuck and a team that is helping them to get out. 

Everyone deserves the utmost respect. 

13 minutes ago, skippybangkok said:

Sorry Sheryl - disagree w you re benefits of sedation ( if it's at all possible at depth ). Having cave dived a little and also having had to deal with 2 panicked divers (not in a cave), I am 100% clear the biggest obstacle is ones inner fears and it can kill quickly

The head of the Brit cave rescue assc. recently said they bound ( immobilized ) and used a divers gag for one extraction- it was clear they did not want a panicked diver to jeopardize the extraction ( which was successful )

It simple - they can get inanimate items in and out of the cave no issue , so the more the boys just so nothing and chill, I would give almost a 100% chance of them gettibg out

Just look at how people panick having MRI's - this is a whole different level

There is no "depth" to consider. It's just through flooded tunnels. No way I'd go through without being heavily sedated.

I wonder if all the tanks stashed along the way will require boys to change masks or if they have quick connect fittings?  I have not used these full face masks. Has anyone?  I can imagine pro divers can monitor air tank pressure and stop to change when needed.   I know standard dive regulators all fit in tanks the same way but they don't use quick connects. 

Maybe they will use some sort if sedation.  I had a shoulder MRI and it put me close to freaking out.  Maybe they only need to sedate one or two.  

22 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

@Beaking_News

Thai government releases graphic about #thamluangcaverescue . Full face masks; 2 divers accompanying 1 boy; guided by rope. When facing a very narrow path, they will release the tank from back and slowly roll tank & guide the boy through. They walk from Chamber 3 to mouth of cave

This is probably a clearer infographic:

DhkqPMzX0AEJMSE.jpeg.b3b94d7080ad076ab99438e850da2d48.jpeg

https://twitter.com/MichCaldeira/status/1015889639222194177?s=17

1 minute ago, Elkski said:

I wonder if all the tanks stashed along the way will require boys to change masks or if they have quick connect fittings?  I have not used these full face masks. Has anyone?  I can imagine pro divers can monitor air tank pressure and stop to change when needed.   I know standard dive regulators all fit in tanks the same way but they don't use quick connects. 

I haven't heard that anyone needs to change tanks during a single dive, and I'd be extremely surprised if they did. The reserve tanks are there to change at the ends of the tunnels on dry land. Tell me if I'm wrong.

3 minutes ago, Fish Head Soup said:

Pryut is going to Phuket tomorrow morning and then arriving in Chiang Rai tomorrow afternoon.

My respect, praise and boundless admiration lie with the real heroes ...

I think  they will all get out, intact.

They may be weakened due to length of time trapped but all looking forward to re uniting with their family and to familiar foods.

I do not think any will panic.

Young Thais in particular do not seem to exhibit much fear.

Every effort possible ( under the circumstances) being made.. By many.

5 hours ago, jerry921 said:

If the kids dive with 2 divers each, they're going to need 26 divers, not 18...

"Narongsak said the boys and their coach would dive out one at a time, each accompanied by two members of a team of Thai and foreign divers."

1 kid followed by 2 divers to the first narrow or dry section. To more divers receiving the

kid on the other side, bringing him to the next section, and so on. 

The first divers goes back and get another kid and the cycle repeats until everybody is out. 

Unless you know how many narrow and dry parts there are, there is no way you can do the

math on how many divers are needed..

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I haven't heard that anyone needs to change tanks during a single dive, and I'd be extremely surprised if they did. The reserve tanks are there to change at the ends of the tunnels on dry land. Tell me if I'm wrong.

One of the info graphics said the longest underwater section was a 20 minute dive. But I think end-to-end is longer than they can go on a single tank, so they have to change along the way somewhere, but not necessarily under water. I'm not a diver though.

3 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Hope that bumbling fool and his cohorts stay well away and let the experts do their jobs.

Absolutely the first and possibly only time I agree with you.

Cheers!

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There is no "depth" to consider. It's just through flooded tunnels. No way I'd go through without being heavily sedated.

Many of the expats I see living here don't seem to get through a normal day without being heavily sedated.. 

4 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Hope that bumbling fool and his cohorts stay well away and let the experts do their jobs.

Just hope the other fat p as great as he thinks he is doesn’t decide to help and get stuck in a 2m x 2m passage. Well not until everyone is out least. Hoping to hear the first one out being successful. Then all will follow happily. 

30 minutes ago, Aforek said:

Good ! let's not forget everybody, making food or anything else is also a part of the rescue 

Be asured, Aforek,
if something will never be needed to be reminded in this country --- it's to prepare enough food ...
?

Archived