Rescuers begin evacuation of 'Tham Luang 13'

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, bubba said:

Here is what Elon Musk had designed and built and put on his jet to Chiang Rai, all in 24 hours:

http://madriverunion.com/arcatas-wing-inflatables-spacex-collaborate-on-thailand-cave-rescue/

Pretty amazing.

That's exactly what I and others discussed a couple of days ago on a different thread, though I suggested using something like that with sedation for the passenger.

I didn't see on the live programme that they were being used now, but perhaps later.

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm asking as a point of information and not to be a smartass (though I've been guilty of that on occasion)   Was the O2 level falling, or do they know?  I'm wondering if they actually tracked the O2 percentage, and if they know that the normal level in the cave was above 15%?  It's quite possible that biological and geologic processes depleted the O2 long before anyone was trapped.

That's really not important- just a matter of curiosity.  Since it seems the increasing CO2 percentage and prospect of the water table rising from torrential rains are what drove the urgency.  But then I wonder if the CO2 was actually increasing, or was it already high even before they started measuring it?

I doubt if anyone ever measured the level inside before the incident, but if water can get in, air could too. With the rain, the air inlets have probably been closed now. Certainly there was enough O2 for all to survive till now.

37 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

Radio Silence till the operation is completely finished, one way or the other, is best. This is probably one of the reasons they have taken the close relatives to a place near the cave away from the media.

Agree. And it needs to be the families who are informed first.

13 minutes ago, bubba said:

Here is what Elon Musk had designed and built and put on his jet to Chiang Rai, all in 24 hours:

http://madriverunion.com/arcatas-wing-inflatables-spacex-collaborate-on-thailand-cave-rescue/

Pretty amazing.

Elon Musk is a world class expert at getting people to put their money and lives on the line to beta test his inventions. Does this contraption use lithium batteries?

11 minutes ago, natway09 said:

If they get 3 or 4 out  & the divers show signs of fatigue wait until tomorrow for the next lot

Save for an accident, they can't do that.

All the teams are in place and operations have to proceed like on an assembly line in a factory.

These teams are not going to stop after doing their 8 hours of work, make a 5 hours trip back to the entrance of the cave to relax, and make another 5 hours trip back into the cave tomorrow morning.

Anyway, they don't have to bring the children all the way out of the cave right away, but "only" to bring them to chamber 3...after that there is no more swimming involved, so everybody can relax there if necessary...

11 minutes ago, impulse said:

I'm asking as a point of information and not to be a smartass (though I've been guilty of that on occasion)   Was the O2 level falling, or do they know?  I'm wondering if they actually tracked the O2 percentage, and if they know that the normal level in the cave was above 15%?  It's quite possible that biological and geologic processes depleted the O2 long before anyone was trapped.

That's really not important- just a matter of curiosity.  Since it seems the increasing CO2 percentage and prospect of the water table rising from torrential rains are what drove the urgency.  But then I wonder if the CO2 was actually increasing, or was it already high even before they started measuring it?

They did monitor the O2 and it did drop, to as low as 15% and they then started pumping it in. I don't know if they measured CO2 but certainly declining O2/rising CO2 was a concern as where the incipient monsoonal rains.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That's exactly what I and others discussed a couple of days ago on a different thread, though I suggested using something like that with sedation for the passenger.

I didn't see on the live programme that they were being used now, but perhaps later.

Who knows? They may even be using them. The article says they loaded five of the pods onto Musk's G650 at 17:30 PDT Friday. They could have arrived in Chiang Rai Friday night or early Saturday morning.

34 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

May be a mix up between 3 hours and the Thai for 9pm

Yes. Bad translation. 9 PM is the expected time (approximate, of course - I know I'll be glued to TV and computer from around 7-8 PM),

5 minutes ago, jerry921 said:

Elon Musk is a world class expert at getting people to put their money and lives on the line to beta test his inventions. Does this contraption use lithium batteries?

Do you mean these spontaneous combustion batteries?

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The experts that are deciding these things will not be letting "blame" influence their decision making.

The coach was not in the wrong, other than being too enthusiastic, despite people's desire to accuse someone of something, regardless of the facts.

If people want to start "blaming" people perhaps they can "blame" the Phuket boat crew that took a load of people to their deaths while disregarding the weather forecast. There's enough "blame" there to keep even the most grumpy happy for a while.

And some, but then some people are never satisfied, especially those who have done bugger-all in their miserable lives. 

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

They did monitor the O2 and it did drop, to as low as 15% and they then started pumping it in. I don't know if they measured CO2 but certainly declining O2/rising CO2 was a concern as where the incipient monsoonal rains.

I understand that they read it to be as low as 15%, but I haven't read anywhere in the English media whether they were actually seeing it go down, or was 15% the normal O2 level in that location?  One of the dangers of exploring caves even under normal conditions is that the O2 level may be too low to support life, and toxic gases may be present, just because of natural processes.

14 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

The lowering O2 level and increasing CO2 levels were primarily an unanticipated result of having so many rescuers working (and having to breathe) inside the caves.  It radically changed the equation because until that time, one of the highly considered options was for the kids to simply stay put until the monsoon season ended and water levels subsided...Even without the lack of oxygen becoming an issue, that option was pretty flawed for a variety of other reasons though. 

8 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Yes. Bad translation. 9 PM is the expected time (approximate, of course - I know I'll be glued to TV and computer from around 7-8 PM),

Absolutely. I find it difficult to settle to other work - as my heart is in my mouth the whole time in anxious concern over these heroic boys and their liberators.

I cannot begin to imagine how the parents must be feeling ...

With all the tv footage they should be able to put together a documentary to show in cinemas. I hope they do, and donate the proceeds to the volunteers, the boys and their families who have all been through "hell" the past week or so.

I'm just watching a Thai guy at the site overcome with emotion. I'm 100% sure there will be loads of tears when the first lads emerge alive. I can almost feel the emotion through the tv.

4 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The coach was not in the wrong, other than being too enthusiastic, despite people's desire to accuse someone of something, regardless of the facts.

From what I have read here and there, this coach may be the only real (former) Buddhist monk in Thailand!

He appears to have taught meditation to the children, which may have helped save their lives!

It is the first time I have seen the words Thai monk and meditation mentioned in a same sentence...

16 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There is no way they would get me into one of those UNPROVEN things, if it gets stuck - what then? Sedation? I would rather have my wits about me! humans have the natural ability to react to most situations without being drugged! Just my thoughts.................

I've searched twitter, facebook, live streams, google, news media up-dates, but nothing, a total media black out. They all are saying the same thing.

WAIT

Personally I think this is wrong. The public want to know, the world wants to know whats going on right now. We want updates. It's the media attention that has brought about the plight of these children and the support and help they have recieved. Don't block us out now! We are worried too! Just as their families are.

Let the media back in. I want to know how the rescue is coming along and so do millions of others.

1 minute ago, CGW said:

There is no way they would get me into one of those UNPROVEN things, if it gets stuck - what then? Sedation? I would rather have my wits about me! humans have the natural ability to react to most situations without being drugged! Just my thoughts.................

Sedation would be essential to prevent panic and inside one they can't "react" to anything anyway.

I doubt anyone would refuse any possible means of salvation given the choice of that or death. Easy to say what we would or would not do behind a keyboard in safety. With death in one's face, things become a whole lot different.

Just now, tukkytuktuk said:

I've searched twitter, facebook, live streams, google, news media up-dstes, but nothing, a total media black out. They all are saying the same thing.

WAIT

Personally I think this is wrong. The public want to know, the world wants to know whats going on right now. We want updates. It's the media attention that has brought about the plight of these children and the support and help they have recieved. Don't block us out now! We are worried too! Just as their families are.

Let the media back in. I want to know how the rescue is coming along and so do millions of others.

I personally think this is absolutely right to have a media blackout.

Do you want to the world to start chattering about whether child D or child E (real names witheld) made it through sector 3 alive. What do you think that would do to friends and family? This is not a sports event.

18 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Anyway, they don't have to bring the children all the way out of the cave right away, but "only" to bring them to chamber 3...after that there is no more swimming involved, so everybody can relax there if necessary...

I agree that they will probably "hold" the boys in chamber 3, unless any of them require immediate medical assistance, and only then would they be taken out fully to waiting ambulances. 

Can you imagine the media chaos that will result when the first survivor comes out. 

Much better to try to contain all that until as many extractions as possible are completed. 

1 minute ago, tukkytuktuk said:

I've searched twitter, facebook, live streams, google, news media up-dstes, but nothing, a total media black out. They all are saying the same thing.

WAIT

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are not showing anything from the site for the most obvious of reasons. I hope they don't bend to the goulish media and let the mob in. It's been 10 days or something, so people can wait another few hours.

3 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

I've searched twitter, facebook, live streams, google, news media up-dates, but nothing, a total media black out. They all are saying the same thing.

WAIT

There are cameras inside the cave and live broadcast has been announced, although this won't probably happen before they have reached chamber 3 and relative safety...

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sedation would be essential to prevent panic and inside one they can't "react" to anything anyway.

I doubt anyone would refuse any possible means of salvation given the choice of that or death. Easy to say what we would or would not do behind a keyboard in safety. With death in one's face, things become a whole lot different.

I agree with the mild sedation and so do the experts...

Archived