Rescuers begin evacuation of 'Tham Luang 13'

9 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Just hope the other fat p as great as he thinks he is doesn’t decide to help and get stuck in a 2m x 2m passage. Well not until everyone is out least. Hoping to hear the first one out being successful. Then all will follow happily. 

But only if, when, in case of, perhaps, or should the........( fill in the blanks, please.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, seasia said:

Young Thais in particular do not seem to exhibit much fear.

I agree, we get a lot of the fear we feel instilled in us from much of the nonsense we see on "TV" & the movies.

I'm sure we will be proven correct in believing they will all get out in good shape with no panic attacks.

19 minutes ago, Fish Head Soup said:

Pryut is going to Phuket tomorrow morning and then arriving in Chiang Rai tomorrow afternoon.

If he had any sense of obligation he would have been in Phuket all weekend.

16 minutes ago, steve73 said:

Many of the expats I see living here don't seem to get through a normal day without being heavily sedated.. 

?

Indeed.

These boys are made of much sterner stuff, to put it very mildly

2 minutes ago, bubba said:

Thai PBS are reporting that the first boys are on their way out. The doctor in the chamber worked with the divers to select who would go first.

If true, this is FANTASTIC news (if 'on their way out' means that they are now in the 'safety' zone)!

22 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I haven't heard that anyone needs to change tanks during a single dive, and I'd be extremely surprised if they did. The reserve tanks are there to change at the ends of the tunnels on dry land. Tell me if I'm wrong.

Changing tanks is a classic procedure when deep diving, for instance at decompressions stops 9 meters, 6 meters and 3 meters. Sometime the 3 meter decompression is on O2, but this needs careful calculation of the duration of the stop.

This won't be the case here as there won't be any significant depth. The main risk will be  the kids hyperventilating in conjunction with an unexpected duration of the dive.

You don't reconnect your regulator to the new tank, you just switch regulator, every tank must of course be fitted with a regulator and possibly octopus. I don't know how the use of full face masks affects this. Actually the only benefit, as far as I can see, of full face masks is the possibility of voice com. But I have always thought that a classic mouth piece is much more convenient, hence safer.

2 minutes ago, Eligius said:

If true, this is FANTASTIC news (if 'on their way out' means that they are now in the 'safety' zone)!

I don't think they inferred that. If they are in the process of coming out, they are in the danger zone.

4 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Changing tanks is a classic procedure when deep diving, for instance at decompressions stops 9 meters, 6 meters and 3 meters. Sometime the 3 meter decompression is on O2, but this needs careful calculation of the duration of the stop.

This won't be the case here as there won't be any significant depth. The main risk will be  the kids hyperventilating in conjunction with an unexpected duration of the dive.

You don't reconnect your regulator to the new tank, you just switch regulator, every tank must of course be fitted with a regulator and possibly octopus. I don't know how the use of full face masks affects this. Actually the only benefit, as far as I can see, of full face masks is the possibility of voice com. But I have always thought that a classic mouth piece is much more convenient, hence safer.

voice com could be very useful in coordinating actions with the boy - given that he's tied to the diver by an air hose and they have to roll tanks along at points, coordination, plus the ability to speak calming words, would it seems to me be extremely valuable. But I'm no diver, I've only been down once at a resort.

5 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Not likely.  They will need rest  and  various medications for 14-21 days if they exit.

They have been living in proximity to their feces and urine, and were drinking contaminated water during their time in the cave. I expect some will have some serious emotional issues that will need to be addressed. The best thing that can be done for them is to leave them alone for a few months and to let them heal with their families.

There always has to be one - at least perhaps you could spell faeces correctly .

You think in a Western way - oh my - I’ve dropped and lost 50 satang - I’m going to have PDST - it’s all ambulance chasers and lawyers . 

The Thai people are tough , wiry , much more resilient- have you been to funerals.?  at the time - it’s not good, Mum or Grandpa has died- few days later life and everything moves on. The West - No .

I don’t think you understand the culture we live in ( maybe you don’t live here ) 

My friends here are going to the temple . 

Good luck 

5 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Classic mouth piece under the conditions and who is using them I would suggest is a pre-cursor to disaster. 

2 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

You must be an American to come out with that utter tripe.

Nope, you've got it backwards. peterb's criticizing someone for using the North American spelling. peterb's likely a brit.

6 minutes ago, peterb17 said:

There always has to be one - at least perhaps you could spell faeces correctly .

You think in a Western way - oh my - I’ve dropped and lost 50 satang - I’m going to have PDST - it’s all ambulance chasers and lawyers . 

The Thai people are tough , wiry , much more resilient- have you been to funerals.?  at the time - it’s not good, Mum or Grandpa has died- few days later life and everything moves on. The West - No .

I don’t think you understand the culture we live in ( maybe you don’t live here ) 

My friends here are going to the temple . 

Good luck 

He spelled feces correctly for an American.

You Brits are always doing this.

I agree that they will need time away from media to spend with their families.

There will be PTSD.  Going to the temple won't make it go away.

Yes. I know normal regulators are not put on tanks under water.  I read they will use full face masks.  It would be more similar to normal breathing for the boys.   I think com would be a calming thing but I'm sure there are language barriers.   But I also imagine they have stashed tanks in the water passages on each side of the narrow sections as a safety measure. 

Just now, duanebigsby said:

He spelled feces correctly for an American.

You Brits are always doing this.

I agree that they will need time away from media to spend with their families.

There will be PTSD.  Going to the temple won't make it go away.

Who gives a S11t how it is spelt (or spelled)?  :clap2: 

Thais being ever optimistic, their TV journalists have been focused for most of the day on the ballet of ambulances and helicopters that will happen AFTER the extraction from the cave, apparently considering the latter as a mere formality...

Hopefully the children are in a similar state of mind...

4 hours ago, Spidey said:

Apparently, 3 relatively short but difficult dives to exit the cave, most of the journey is on foot. Probably 4 divers controlling each dive location. Therefore, 2 divers take one child through the first dive, he is then walked to the next dive location by navy seals and handed over to the dive team at the next location etc. until he is out. Also, would make sense to only have one child on a dive at any point in the cave at any one time.

But whichever way you look at it the divers at the childrens point NEED 5 hours to return so even if they shuttle 2 kids for 2 hours one way and 2 hours back that is still aa very tiring long day. 

I am more than happy for the rescue team on the spot make the decisions. They know the difficulties that they face and nobody here does. I certainly wouldn't want to make it. I suspect that they have spent the last few days planning and replanning what they need to do. 

I have explained what I would do but as I have NO experience with cave diving I have no idea if I am right or wrong but it would be one way of planning it.

3 hours ago, irishken said:

Thanks for letting me know. 

I didn't see it here so I wasn't aware it was fake. 

It's not a fake video as such, it's just not a video taken in the Tham Luang cave system. However its my understanding that there are sections of the Thai cave not dissimilar to what we see in this video, where it's so narrow that divers have to take their air tanks off and push them ahead of themselves but whereas the water in the video is clear and easy to see through, the water in Tham Luang is silty and extremely difficult to see through in places.

So if anything, that video may be showing conditions that are slightly better than some parts of the route the boys and divers are taking.

Finally someone who talks common sense, among all the armchair experts on this forum.  

1200 + dives, most solo with proper solo training, also passed cave dive training and dived a few caves. Handled several life threatening situations including 2x resolving divers in distress ( make that 3 x - rescuing an instructor who almost drowned in high waves getting back onboard ).

Yes - I have a lot to learn - but - I don't think I would fit the armchair expert definition

As a very experienced diver having been in confined spaces similar to that video and also experienced zero vis in caves - I can tell you it would be very very unsettling for an inexperienced person

Without dropping names, a very well known cave diver also feels sedation / anti anxiety should be considered

Enjoy your armchair

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived