Rescuers begin evacuation of 'Tham Luang 13'

5 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

I personally think this is absolutely right to have a media blackout.

Do you want to the world to start chattering about whether child D or child E (real names witheld) made it through sector 3 alive. What do you think that would do to friends and family? This is not a sports event.

I do not think there is any "malice"  intended by those wanting regular updates, however, I must agree 100% with your post, despite me also wanting to know.

• Replies 598
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, steve73 said:

I agree that they will probably "hold" the boys in chamber 3, unless any of them require immediate medical assistance, and only then would they be taken out fully to waiting ambulances. 

Can you imagine the media chaos that will result when the first survivor comes out. 

Much better to try to contain all that until as many extractions as possible are completed. 

This last part of the rescue trip will be broadcasted live...if everything has gone well...

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Bickering posts have been removed

Sounds like you're being kept pretty busy today.  I for one appreciate your efforts, and I'm sure a lot of others here do to.  Thanks for keeping things tidy and civil on this thread.  It deserves that, for sure. ?

12 minutes ago, tukkytuktuk said:

I've searched twitter, facebook, live streams, google, news media up-dates, but nothing, a total media black out. They all are saying the same thing.

WAIT

Personally I think this is wrong. The public want to know, the world wants to know whats going on right now. We want updates. It's the media attention that has brought about the plight of these children and the support and help they have recieved. Don't block us out now! We are worried too! Just as their families are.

Let the media back in. I want to know how the rescue is coming along and so do millions of others.

Should anything go wrong (god forbid) it would be only decent to inform the families first, don't you agree?

I had wondered why they had an Australian doctor assess the children, what specialized expertise was needed that Thai Navy docs could nto supply.

Turns out the doctor was "Adelaide anaesthetist and diving expert Dr Richard Harris."  Also an expert in cave diving.

They have really done a great job in tapping into the best of the best for this operation, and kudos to all those experts for stepping forward.  

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/thai-cave-rescue-australian-doctor-richard-harris-joins-rescue-operation/news-story/ae49c3cfe024fc8f00188a5b9b7b24b5

Fingers crossed, the world is rooting for you boys and for the rescue team. Hopefully tomorrow we will all be celebrating one of the most amazing rescue operations of our time. All the best to the brave kids and amazing heroes of the rescue team !

3 minutes ago, BB1958 said:

I do not think there is any "malice"  intended by those wanting regular updates, however, I must agree 100% with your post, despite me also wanting to know.

It is likely that the guys waiting in chamber 3 don't know themselves what is going on a kilometer away deeper inside the cave!

Nobody could provide reliable information now...only speculation...

World media moved back from cave as evacuation begins

By Patinya Srisupamart, 
Supira Sangharanont 
The Nation

Foreign media members on Sunday said they accepted an order by Thai authorities to move out of area outside the Tham Luang cave as evacuation of the footballers begins.

Foreign media are being evacuated four kilometres from the cave to ensure clear access. Journalists will be housed at the Tambon Pong Pha Administrative Organisation Office on Phaholyothin Road.

n14.jpeg

The 12 teens and their football coach assistant have been trapped in the flooded cave since June 23, with experts from international allies joining with Thais to rescue the team in a race against water and time.

Local and international media have converged at the cave to keep the world up-to-date with the latest developments.

Six days after the footballers were found safe deep in the cave network last Monday, authorities on Sunday launched the evacuation operation to bring them out. 

n15.jpeg

Spanish television reporter Biel Calderon said he didn't mind the request that media move out of the way of officials and rescuers during the high-risk extraction.

Calderon agreed that a large group of media could harm the efficiency of the rescue operation and cause delays. He said he understood that there were reasons for such a request in the life-and-death situation and media needed to respect it.

n16.jpeg

Russian TV reporter Andrey Pashin, who had been covering the story for the past four days from the cave entrance, said he felt positive about the authorities regulating the large number of media in the vicinity to ensure the rescuers are not blocked.

He hoped that, without a continuing media presence in the area, officials could work more efficiently and more quickly rescue the trapped youths.

n17.jpeg

Pashin said he wasn't much worried much getting film for his news coverage, because he believed that officials were working to address the issue.

He hoped that the Thai authorities would ensure all media have equal access to information and pictures and that any news and images obtained by journalists would be pooled and shared among all other media workers.

n18.jpeg

The Thai authorities on Saturday began limiting the media’s access at the front of the cave, but some journalists had ventured under the rope fence to report the news.

This led to an official order being issued at 7am on Sunday to reclaim the area outside cave. Media members, along with volunteers and officials not vital to the rescue efforts, were to be cleared from and kept way from the area by 9am.

Many reporters negotiated to remain, while others moved as ordered to crowd the Tambon Pong Pha Administrative Organisation Office area.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30349582

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-07-08

14 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

It is likely that the guys waiting in chamber 3 don't know themselves what is going on a kilometer away deeper inside the cave!

Nobody could provide reliable information now...only speculation...

Not intending to be crass or inappropriate, but this is going to make one hell of a blockbuster movie when it's made, and it surely will be made, hopefully with sensitivity by somebody like Steven Spielberg  since this is a unfolding drama with all the human and humane elements of a great film.  What we're witnessing is a truly powerful story when you think about it.

1 minute ago, jerry921 said:

They could allow a single pool reporter and cameraman inside the cave to feed all the other news organizations outside without them being in the way too much I should think.

They might want to hide if  anything bad happen....I hope for the best though.

They are showing a good montage on Thai PBS 3 of the rescue effort. It's far larger than I had thought, with hundreds of military and others involved, large machinery and huge amounts of water being pumped out.

For those that seem to believe militaries are not necessary, no other organisation could have put together such a large operation, and they deserve a huge vote of thanks.

24 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sedation would be essential to prevent panic and inside one they can't "react" to anything anyway.

I doubt anyone would refuse any possible means of salvation given the choice of that or death. Easy to say what we would or would not do behind a keyboard in safety. With death in one's face, things become a whole lot different.

With the world looking on, could you guarantee non of the boys would have a adverse reaction to the drugs? Personally I have never taken anything in my life to sedate me, doubt these kids will have either. 

The commander of the operations decisions will be hyper analyzed at a later date, trying to justify the use of these unproven devices and drugging the boys would be hard to justify if there use was unsuccessful, if it worked - different story, but too risky, bringing in too many unknown factors - just my opinion.

If it was a last resort with no other means of escape? things do indeed become different, but at this time there are better options IMO, that WILL work ? 

Reasonable to have a camera man and team recording inside for posterity but not for live feed. This is one of those occasions we just have to wait till the team have done their job. The world is looking at this and we all are rooting for a successful outcome

I had wondered why they had an Australian doctor assess the children, what specialized expertise was needed that Thai Navy docs could nto supply.

Turns out the doctor was "Adelaide anaesthetist and diving expert Dr Richard Harris."  Also an expert in cave diving.

They have really done a great job in tapping into the best of the best for this operation, and kudos to all those experts for stepping forward.  

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/thai-cave-rescue-australian-doctor-richard-harris-joins-rescue-operation/news-story/ae49c3cfe024fc8f00188a5b9b7b24b5

Bingo - anaesthetist

I have been saying from day 1 they should be sedated to prevent anxiety

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

16 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I was interested in the story, but the link runs into a paywall. Did it say anything about the question of giving the boys any anti-anxiety medication?

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They are showing a good montage on Thai PBS 3 of the rescue effort. It's far larger than I had thought, with hundreds of military and others involved, large machinery and huge amounts of water being pumped out.

For those that seem to believe militaries are not necessary, no other organisation could have put together such a large operation, and they deserve a huge vote of thanks.

Militaries are necessary...inside their countries to provide defense and help in major cases like this one...not outside wreaking havoc in Middle East countries...

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've been watching the livestream all day.  I just wish I could understand Thai ?  Informative graphics for sure!

With the expert guidance from the foreign divers & seals I hope it all goes well..

I'm not focused on the boys getting out in time for the world cup final... just want to see them reunited with family & friends.. a good shower & meal is what they need most!

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Ya, the math doesn't seem to work out, nor does the notion of two divers for every kid/coach.

Just based on the numbers, it would seem more like one foreign diver for each kid/coach, and then perhaps support along the way from the 5 Thai SEALs.

It's certainly interesting that at the end of the day, the vast majority of the actual rescue diving is being undertaken by foreigners as opposed to Thailand's own military/rescue personnel.

Particularly given that the military has been in control of the country and the government for the past 4 years and pretty much gotten everything and anything they wanted.

Yes but why would they anticipate that all of a sudden they would need in excess of a dozen cave divers ? I'm probably in favour of military rule as much as you, but under the circumstances, the best cave divers from around the world will probably be doing a far better job than any trained by the Thai military people.

10 minutes ago, CGW said:

With the world looking on, could you guarantee non of the boys would have a adverse reaction to the drugs? Personally I have never taken anything in my life to sedate me, doubt these kids will have either. 

The commander of the operations decisions will be hyper analyzed at a later date, trying to justify the use of these unproven devices and drugging the boys would be hard to justify if there use was unsuccessful, if it worked - different story, but too risky, bringing in too many unknown factors - just my opinion.

If it was a last resort with no other means of escape? things do indeed become different, but at this time there are better options IMO, that WILL work ? 

Thats why the Australian Doctor was there, he's an expert in anesthesia who is also a cave diver. That's what I understood anyway, 

1 minute ago, CGW said:

The commander of the operations decisions will be hyper analyzed at a later date, trying to justify the use of these unproven devices and drugging the boys would be hard to justify IMO - if there use was unsuccessful, if it worked - different story, but too risky, bringing in too many unknown factors - just my opinion.

With an anaesthetist expert on hand, nothing is going to be given that would imperil any of the boys. 

If the decision is made by the experts on site to do something, I think it is unfair to try and second guess them. Someone has to make a decision, and it's not any of us on here.

3 minutes ago, skippybangkok said:

Bingo - anaesthetist

I have been saying from day 1 they should be sedated to prevent anxiety

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Just because he's anesthetist doesn't mean he'll suggest sedating them.

He's there because of his cave diving experience.

I believe no sedation should be used but at least there's an expert in the cave and not me or you making the call.

4 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Militaries are necessary...inside their countries to provide defense and help in major cases like this one...not outside wreaking havoc in Middle East countries...

Can we confine ourselves to the situation at hand and not make wild diversions into world politics, please.

10 minutes ago, jerry921 said:

I was interested in the story, but the link runs into a paywall. Did it say anything about the question of giving the boys any anti-anxiety medication?

No, not at all. The issue was for him to evaluate their fitness to undertake the dive.

Anethetists do not only put people under anesthesia. They are experts in issues of oxygenation, patent airway, etc. This doctor specializies in these issues in underwater setting.

Sedation would NOT be a good idea. People can have what are called "paradoxal" reactions to sedation and even become more agitated. Sometimes allergic reactions occur as well. The boys will need their wits fully about them, they need to be able to remember and follow to the letter the instructions they've been given. Sedatives would also increase risk of respiratory problems. It would be an absolute last resort.

Careful mental preparation and a high level of trust in their rescuers are key and have been worked on for the past few days.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

With an anaesthetist expert on hand, nothing is going to be given that would imperil any of the boys. 

If the decision is made by the experts on site to do something, I think it is unfair to try and second guess them. Someone has to make a decision, and it's not any of us on here.

I agree, just a discussion, I doubt they are looking in on out thoughts, but the experts will have to be able to "justify" their decisions as they will be aware they could, at a later date be held responsible and be prosecuted.

5 minutes ago, johnsnapo said:

Thats why the Australian Doctor was there, he's an expert in anesthesia who is also a cave diver. That's what I understood anyway, 

He is an expert in dive medicine, anesthesia is a common background for that.

Archived