Brexit Secretary David Davis has resigned - source close to Davis

webfact

28 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Will you be laughing tebee, when his resignation sparks the ousting of May and someone like Mogg takes over ?

It's the parliamentary party that votes for a new leader and there is certainly not a majority there in favour of a hard brexit, so Mogg has no chance. You can have as many wet dreams about as you want, it ain't going to happen.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, tebee said:

It's the parliamentary party that votes for a new leader and there is certainly not a majority there in favour of a hard brexit, so Mogg has no chance. You can have as many wet dreams about as you want, it ain't going to happen.

Great answer, but totally ignores what I asked you.

Trump & Brexit were never going to happen either ??

So I will ask you again. Will you still be laughing when May gets ousted and someone like Mogg takes over ?

Tell me again about Parliamentary majorities, if as claimed by Labour, they will vore against May's white paper ? Lose that vote and she is history

Labour will not back Theresa May's EU exit plan agreed by Tory cabinet, party's Brexit chief Sir Keir Starmer says

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-labour-theresa-may-keir-starmer-cabinet-latest-eu-cabinet-chequers-boris-a8437081.html

Theresa May faces threat of leadership challenge as furious Tory Brexiteers rail against Chequers Brexit plan

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-theresa-may-leadership-challenge-plan-tories-mps-chequers-jacob-rees-mogg-a8437706.html

9 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

David Davis is a good man. May has chosen to ignore him and use an un-elected remainer civil servant Ollie Robbins to front negotiations with the EU. What a farce. May should go now if she has a shred of decency.

Other people think not - a comment from the FT

There is nothing good to say about this fool.

Here’s the moron who said the location of the European Banking Authority and the Medicines Agency were all within his negotiating remit and they weren’t going anywhere.

Gone in a flash and with them thousands of jobs, prestige, status and influence.

That was just one example of his rank stinking incompetence.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

11 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

David Davis is a good man. May has chosen to ignore him and use an un-elected remainer civil servant Ollie Robbins to front negotiations with the EU. What a farce. May should go now if she has a shred of decency.

Tory David Davis faces calls to resign after admitting he's done NO impact assessments of Brexit

The Brexit Secretary faces claims he misled Parliament after saying there are no impact assessments - despite boasting he had them in "excruciating detail"

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/tory-david-davis-admits-no-11647988

6 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Great answer, but totally ignores what I asked you.

Trump & Brexit were never going to happen either ??

So I will ask you again. Will you still be laughing when May gets ousted and someone like Mogg takes over ?

Tell me again about Parliamentary majorities, if as claimed by Labour, they will vore against May's white paper ? Lose that vote and she is history

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-labour-theresa-may-keir-starmer-cabinet-latest-eu-cabinet-chequers-boris-a8437081.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-latest-theresa-may-leadership-challenge-plan-tories-mps-chequers-jacob-rees-mogg-a8437706.html

But I thought parliament were not going to have a meaningful vote on whatever was agreed? We gave the executive freedom to negotiate as they saw fit. 

As I've said before, a hard nodeal Brexit does not scare me - it will be  such a disaster that the clamour to reverse it will be irresistible. I'll bide my time. 

5 minutes ago, tebee said:

Other people think not - a comment from the FT

There is nothing good to say about this fool.

Here’s the moron who said the location of the European Banking Authority and the Medicines Agency were all within his negotiating remit and they weren’t going anywhere.

Gone in a flash and with them thousands of jobs, prestige, status and influence.

That was just one example of his rank stinking incompetence.

Doesn't sound remotely like the FT. Provide more detail.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

A politician with principles. Good for him. The Brexit secretary who can see that TM is selling the country and referendum result down the pan. Lets hope more follow and bring the leadership to task.

Well it will be interesting to see how this pans out.  Clearly this should trigger a leadership challenge but who will be prepared to grasp the poisoned chalice?  Probably nobody but the pressure on Johnson and JRM must be pretty intense.  If a challenge is launched then it would take about three months to be completed.  I would say it would be a 50/50 chance of it being successful and May could certainly survive it.

But let's say that May is toppled and replaced by Johnson or JRM (I know it is just fantasy but we can still speculate).  At that point what would they do?  Too late to go back to the drawing board so all they could go for is a no deal!  That would be economic suicide and Britain would be hit really hard.  That would trigger a general election and it would be bye bye Conservatives and hello Jeremy Corbyn and his sidekick Dianne Abbot!

In the meantime a new Brexit secretary will have to be appointed and my money would be on Gove.

4 minutes ago, tebee said:

But I thought parliament were not going to have a meaningful vote on whatever was agreed? We gave the executive freedom to negotiate as they saw fit. 

???

You confuse May's White Paper from Friday with a final vote on a UK - EU deal. Easy mistake to make ? especially when I provided 2 separate sources explaining it.

7 minutes ago, tebee said:

As I've said before, a hard nodeal Brexit does not scare me -

Really ?

Might be best if you review your previous comments, especially on the now closed thread.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Thingamabob said:

Doesn't sound remotely like the FT. Provide more detail.

from the comments on this article 

https://www.ft.com/content/fef0e51c-8300-11e8-96dd-fa565ec55929

He doesn't seem exactly popular there - some more of the comments 

He has left the government but is expecting to be able to keep the ministerial car and salary using a special bespoke deal not available to anyone else.

The government needs him more than he needs the government.

Coward. DD knew deep down he was incapable of doing the requisite job well and also being forced to play on a sticky wicket. He used this well played May move at Chequers as an excuse to throw in the towel, perhaps trying to save face with the loony-Right nativist elements.

I’ve said it before, the Tories have absolutely no right to be running our country. This Brexit nightmare is over two years old, we have no definitive exit plan with the EU and these bozos are still playing make-pretend at home.

Oh, woe to the UK. What will this country do now that this massive intellect is no longer leading us? The country is rudderless, the negotiations will stall. Barnier, weary of being trounced by this great negotiator, will be soooo relieved.

I'm not sure appointing a man who combines the traits of Swiss Toni and Gareth from The Office was a good idea in the first place.

Did he want to spend more time with his family? Clearly all of those 4 hours that he spent in meetings with foreign officials took too much of his valuable time

• Haha 1

I don’t think a no-confidence vote is immediately in the offing.

I think what the prime minister needs to do is give up on the Chequers proposals which, David Davis has pointed out in his resignation letter, don’t actually deliver Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2018/jul/09/david-davis-resigns-as-brexit-secretary-live-updates

As I said above. See where May's White Paper ends up before doing anything.

Immediately being the operative word.

18 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

???

You confuse May's White Paper from Friday with a final vote on a UK - EU deal. Easy mistake to make ? especially when I provided 2 separate sources explaining it.

Really ?

Might be best if you review your previous comments, especially on the now closed thread.

It's a white paper - I didn't think we voted on white papers asa they are only policy summaries?

I'm sure I've said the same thing before, but let me clarify a bit  I'm scared in the short term because of the damage a hard Brexit will do to people's jobs and lives, but I don't expect it to last long - and it would have the advantage of burying Brexit forever. 

Edited by tebee
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SheungWan said:

He didn't resign to spend more time with his family. He will be betting either that the Government cannot deliver (some hubris here) or that he will lead a revolt against May after an agreement has been signed between the UK and the EU. None of the ink on his hands to lead a charge of betrayal. However, he's not as smart as Gove who will likely skewer him as Gove previously did Johnson if and when the opportunity arises.

He won't lead a revolt, of the gang of 4 he probably the most honourable.

• Like 2

Also stolen from Twitter 

I know we’re all sad to see David Davis go, but after a whole 4 hours of negotiating with Barnier was it really fair to expect he had anything left to give?

• Like 1

Just now, tebee said:

It's a white paper - I didn't think we voted on white papers asa they are only policy summaries?

It needs Parliamentary consent before it can proceed.

Unless you are Politician,, you are absolutely correct - You don't get to vote on White Papers.

Be surprised if they move on TM this week - the Trade Bill is already scheduled for a vote next week and there is an amendment there to remain in the CU so, if there is a chance of Mogg or the likes taking over, the HoC could well tie a future PMs hands.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

That's a terrible thing to say about the other 3.

They should be Hung ,Drawn & Quartered...

Even that's too good for them.

Truth is Davis can not push through "Hard Brexit" because not just TM but the majority of Tory MP's do not want it either. 

Edited by Basil B
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, The Renegade said:

Nope.

Sit back and watch May's White paper fail to pass through Parliament, let her resign and then step up to the plate. No need for a leadership challenge.

A leadership challenge is only needed if her white paper gets through Parliament and is subsequently accepted by Brussels.

I think that is a fair point but we are in uncharted waters here and normal procedures are not necessarily going to be followed.  Johnson was far more critical than Davis over the Chequers "summit" and so was JRM.  Davis resigned but they didn't.  Why is that?

5 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

I think that is a fair point but we are in uncharted waters here and normal procedures are not necessarily going to be followed.  Johnson was far more critical than Davis over the Chequers "summit" and so was JRM.  Davis resigned but they didn't.  Why is that?

I would say that the simple answer is that Davis is thick but basically decent. Johnson and the vile toff are ambitious plotters with brains of a sort but without morals. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

David Davis has said something rather curious:

“I wouldn't have done a good job' of delivering May's Brexit plan”

Putting aside the extreme difficulty finding anything Davis has done well, It curious that he has not stated he doesn’t support the PM or that he believes she needs to change course.

He went on to say:

“I won’t be encouraging people to do that [challenge May]. I think it’s the wrong thing to do.”

Well there you go.