Phuket boat tragedy ‘unlikely to hamper tourism’

webfact

Here is a suggestion TAT,as you already propose to make the caves a tourist attraction(before the boys are even out),you could run boat trips to the site,you can take a selfie with the wreckage and if you are lucky, a floating corpse.

Think of the money you could make selling souvenir life jackets(only used once).

On second thoughts, I had better delete this, in case someone from TAT reads it and thinks,thats a good idea.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The tour boat catastrophe in Phuket was unlikely to harm the Thai tourism industry, but the government must respond to it decisively, the chief economist at Siam Commercial Bank said on Monday.

Thank goodne$$

• Like 1

3 hours ago, B T Justice said:

I hate to say it but they are probably correct.

If it happened to almost any other nationality in the world there would be serious repercussions.

National mourning for a week in many Western countries and a compensation to the affected families and thereafter investigations, sometimes for years?

Its a bright new cheery day at chalong pier today.. I saw 2 boats go out today. 2 boats yesterday. Not quite the usual 100 or so convoy  from 9 to 10 am

So i dont believe a damn word of this guys ill thought remarks.  Lets hope the people do cancell.

Cause from what i see around me the pheonix was the most seaworthy looking of them all.

A thai friend  in industy told me the chinese cancelled many boats have no customers.

So i believe it from what i see.

We will know in about 2 weeks when the sun comes out again and the tourist have  re cycled.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thian said:

Wat a disgusting remark!  Me and my family will NEVER go on a thai boat again...I already have been on a sinking boat to Riley where i had to hose water with a bucket all the way or we would sink...Even the outboard motor broke off it's stand while we were on sea, me and my mate had to grab and hold it or it would have been on the seabottom.

And all they care about is money....money money money...

Maybe the same reason you choosed to stay in this country?:whistling:

Well here in the UK not a mention of this accident BBC just about the chiang Rai cave. football. Brexit but i have not read one thing in the main UK papers , wont affect tourism of course, some one putting the dampers on news???

Edited by alzack

3 hours ago, Thian said:

Wat a disgusting remark!  Me and my family will NEVER go on a thai boat again...I already have been on a sinking boat to Riley where i had to hose water with a bucket all the way or we would sink...Even the outboard motor broke off it's stand while we were on sea, me and my mate had to grab and hold it or it would have been on the seabottom.

And all they care about is money....money money money...

Aye, i think i would sooner take my chances on the sex-boat with all the fat Aussie perverts.

Chiness tourists drown and missing!

Thai government must investigate!  

I hope the Chinese  authorities, unlikely many other ass licking foreign Governments, , will grill the Thai Dictator over this appalling lose of life, demanding truthful answers...

Young boys lost in dangerous caves! 

Chinese tourist missing and drowned!

TIT!  Paradise..555 lol

R.I.P

• Like 1

Here we go.

Sounds like an Aussie "shee'l be rite mate"

until next time when 30 die in a bus crash or a large truck cartwheels into a group or 2 mini buses crash racing each other.

The authorities need to grab their gonads in both hands

The T.A.T statement speaks volumes..total lacking in sympathy for those lost & those bereaved!!

this is a tragedy.. actually manslaughter charges should be brought to those responsible for the final decision to put to sea! I'ts negligence at the highest level all in the name of profit over the safety of customers!!

This should end in jail time for someone for manslaughter.. not get away with it's a tragic accident!

Edited by hotchilli
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Gandtee said:

'Boat tragedy ‘unlikely to hamper tourism’ Great. So everything is hunky dory. Mai ben rai.?

Yep, as we here have said before...life is just so cheap.

• Like 1

I wonder that there didn't surface any live videos from the incident yet.
One guess would be that Thai authorities threatened the survivors to publish it.
Also there are no interviews yet made public.
Seems strange to me...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sonhia said:

Chiness tourists drown and missing!

Thai government must investigate!  

I hope the Chinese  authorities, unlikely many other ass licking foreign Governments, , will grill the Thai Dictator over this appalling lose of life, demanding truthful answers...

Young boys lost in dangerous caves! 

Chinese tourist missing and drowned!

TIT!  Paradise..555 lol

R.I.P

Truthful answers ?   You've forgotten which country we are in !

6 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Yes,

that is what matters,

that is the thing to be concerned about,

that is what everyone should be thinking about after such an appalling tragedy...

the great god...

tourist numbers. 

Always been the same response in all the years that I've been in LOS. It's always about tourist numbers.

• Like 2

In the opening statement of this story it’s “is” not “was” however typical that some people think about tourism first, it’s a bit like why did the tourist minister meet the British diver at airport to thank him for efforts in finding the boys in the cave..... why tourist minister ??? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

Luckily the world media's concentration has been on the missing cave students and assistant coach, and ongoing rescue attempt near Chiang Rai. The radar has been kept very low key for Thailand's greatest maritime disaster since the tsamami of 2004.. 41 dead, 13 children, 18 women and 10 men all Chinese nationals, and 14 still missing and presumed dead. If there were nationals from Australia, NZ, Europe, UK, and USA involved in this tragedy and front page headlines, Thailand's tourist industry would suffer, only short term maybe. Hopefully changes are set in place to prevent any future disasters. The cheap safety vests used are no more than a floatation device, the likes of for someone water-skiing or jetskiing. Certainly not to international safety standards to keep one's head out of the water for hours while rescuers conduct a search and rescue mission. When safety is more paramount to money earned then maybe there will be changes for the better, even if it means refunding 100 tickets or rescheduling for another day.. 

• Like 1