Carrying a passport around

1 hour ago, seajae said:

when the police were grabbing farangs for not having their passports on them in Bangkok last year this subject was raised with the head of police, he stated that farangs did not have to carry their passports with them and that a photocopy or pic on their phones was ok. 

That's  what I said in my post. 

2 hours ago, possum1931 said:

How long have you lived in Thailand? Don't you know that Thai authorities make up their own rules?

That doesn't make sense mate, of course the 'Thai authorities' make up the rules for Thailand, that's their job as the Thai authorities. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

That doesn't make sense mate, of course the 'Thai authorities' make up the rules for Thailand, that's their job as the Thai authorities. 

OK, I will rephrase that, different authorities, ie Immigration offices, banks, etc, make up their own rules.

5 hours ago, joe china said:

Some people say that you should carry your passport around and others say that a photo copy will do.

It depends on who stops you if its an issue, I seem to remember a police chief in Bangkok said a photo copy was ok, however the reaction of immigration is likely to be less satisfactory, for sure they might make your day an unhappy one if they choose too, how they will react depends on how you interact with them and the reason they have stopped you. I've been here five years in Bangkok and in the country and have been stopped many times routinely and never been asked to see my passport.    

6 hours ago, joe china said:

Additionally, I have been told that I need to carry my Thai driving license and also carry my UK driving license. While the other day, I was stopped by the traffic police, I produced the Thai driving license and they insisted on the IDP as well, which I don't have and so they asked me if i would pay a fine. Lol.

This is defiantly wrong, if you have a Thai license there is no need for anything else. If you driving with UK license then you should have  a IDP, although before I had a Thai license I was stopped with a UK license and involved in an accident and the UK license was accepted. (without IDP), but like many things here it depends on the person that stops you.  In all cases I have had close support from either my (Thai) wife or (Thai) workers who have smoothed the way.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

OK, I will rephrase that, different authorities, ie Immigration offices, banks, etc, make up their own rules.

Now that is   true , that some of the same authorities, but in different locations, interpret  and apply the same rules differently , and that is confusing and  irritating. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Maestro said:

I have been desperately looking for this law for the last ten years, without success, and I should be very grateful if you kindly posted a link to the law your are referring to or at least post the Thai title of it.

He cannot as it does not exist.

1 hour ago, Phuket Man said:

He cannot as it does not exist.

All individuals in Thailand, citizens and visitors alike, are required to carry some form of ID with them at all times.  The confusion lies in what form that ID must or can take.  All Thais know this and respect that law, as do other Asian visitors who have the same law in their own country.  Only  some westerners seem to ignore it and they do so at their peril.  The law itself  will be incorporated into Thai written law and  I doubt that one in ten thousand Thais could tell you where to find it, and yet they all know it exists and the Police can and do enforce it. I doubt that one in ten thousand westerners could tell you where and how to find written confirmation of their own laws either.  Only an arrogant, naive or unthinking westerner, would not carry some form of ID on them while in any country, never mind one that is not their own, if only to prove identity in the event of an accident, or when  interacting with the authorities in any way, for example at road blocks/bar raids/ incidents out and about.  

18 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Someone said?   Its a bit more official  than that. The law says that you must carry your passport at all times,.  However,  that's risky and largely unnecessary if you carry a photo copy with you,  which is the current Embassy advice.  I also carry a photo on my mobile. If you carry a Thai Driving licence, that is usually good enough ID for the Plods and the Army.

If you have a Thai DL, why would you need to carry a British DL with you, or an IDP?   Doesn't make sense. 

Could you please provide a reference to which law you are saying requires the passport to be on a person?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hml367 said:

Could you please provide a reference to which law you are saying requires the passport to be on a person?

There is no such law.

No one (including the British embassy) has managed to answer my question about the Thailand Civil & Commercial Code reference....

6 hours ago, Maestro said:

I have been desperately looking for this law for the last ten years, without success, and I should be very grateful if you kindly posted a link to the law your are referring to or at least post the Thai title of it.

The nearest law that I have been able to come up with in this connection is the Alien Registration Act B.E 2493 (1950), section 17 of which contains a specific requirement for aliens in possession of an identity certificate "to carry the identity certificate with them or keep the same in a manner ready to show it to the administrative official or police officer at all times at the request of the administrative official or police officer". However, this particular certificate has, I take it, long since ceased to exist - and, in any event, non-immigrants (which is what most of us long-stayers are classed as under Thai immigration law) appear to have been exempted from this requirement by virtue of sub-section 16(4)!

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Alien_Registration_Act,_B.E._2493_(1950).pdf

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:

There is no such law.

No one (including the British embassy) has managed to answer my question about the Thailand Civil & Commercial Code reference....

And that, I think, undermines (at least in part) HMPO's justification for forcing us Brits to make 2 trips to Bangkok at passport renewal time!

• Like 1

44 post on this. amazing

ask yourself this.

How much time and inconvenience is it to replace a lost passport ?

or

How much time is it to, get someone to go get your passport to show PC plod or the nice immigration officer, if a copy is no good for him ?

No brainer I think !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can argue about rules and regulations, but it wont change the out come, on the day.

Edited by stanleycoin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

44 post on this. amazing

ask yourself this.

How much time and inconvenience is it to replace a lost passport ?

or

How much time is it to, get someone to go get your passport to show PC plod or the nice immigration officer, if a copy is no good for him ?

No brainer I think !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can argue about rules and regulations, but it wont change the out come, on the day.

quite right. 

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

All individuals in Thailand, citizens and visitors alike, are required to carry some form of ID with them at all times.  The confusion lies in what form that ID must or can take.  All Thais know this and respect that law, as do other Asian visitors who have the same law in their own country.  Only  some westerners seem to ignore it and they do so at their peril.  

False.

I have met many Thais who do not have a DL or ID card.

Most in Bangkok do,  in other places No...

On 7/9/2018 at 3:56 PM, Mattd said:

This has been done to death over the years on TV and no one can find a law that states that you must carry your original passport with you at all times.

The requirement is that you can prove your legal status in Thailand and photo ID, so a copy of your passport along with a Thai or Foreign DL (with photo) would be fine, you could be asked to produce the actual passport at a later time.

Personally I have the passport stuff recorded in my phone, if ever asked for it.

Carrying the original poses far too many risks, so only do this if doing something official that may need it.

I have heard that you are required to carry your passport and I have also heard the opposite from a Thai lawyer I respect.  Carrying your passport around does seem very risky.  Is there a law or regulation anyone can cite to conclusively answer this question?

Oh, in the 20+ years I  have been here, I have never been asked to provide any form of ID, except for a bogus traffic infraction about 18 years ago.  No one has ever stopped me on the street, in bar or even a disco (although its been years since I have been in one), and asked me for my ID.  Years ago, when I was much younger and Mr. T was the PM, the authorities raided Q Bar (I believe it no longer exists) and would not allow anyone to leave until they submitted a urine sample, but they still did not require an ID of any sort.  If they can compel you to submit a urine sample simply because you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, you would think they could also compel you to produce ID, but they didn't.

So, where is this law that requires foreigners to carry any sort of ID on them?  What law requires Thai citizens to do so? 

Don't mean to disparage any comments or opinions given on this subject, but I would like to see a cite to the actual law since I have heard so many contradictory statements on the subject and, save one traffic incident, have never been asked for my ID.

Edited by Horace
Typo

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

False.

I have met many Thais who do not have a DL or ID card.

Most in Bangkok do,  in other places No...

Whatever mate. Ignorance is bliss.  Posting bullshit doesn't help the debate  I've never met a Thai yet who doesn't carry ID , perhaps not on the farm, but at most other times.  All Thais have an ID card. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I carry a copy and would quite confidently explain to any officer that I'm happy to present the original within the hour and refuse to pay any fine as other officials have already stated what is accepted. Same for drivers licence rules.  If you appear weak they will hassle you. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Horace said:

I have heard that you are required to carry your passport and I have also heard the opposite from a Thai lawyer I respect.  Carrying your passport around does seem very risky.  Is there a law or regulation anyone can cite to conclusively answer this question?

Oh, in the 20+ years I  have been here, I have never been asked to provide any form of ID, except for a bogus traffic infraction about 18 years ago.  No one has ever stopped me on the street, in bar or even a disco (although its been years since I have been in one), and asked me for my ID.  Years ago, when I was much younger and Mr. T was the PM, the authorities raided Q Bar (I believe it no longer exists) and would not allow anyone to leave until they submitted a urine sample, but they still did not require an ID of any sort.  If they can compel you to submit a urine sample simply because you are in the wrong place at the wrong time, you would think they could also compel you to produce ID, but they didn't.

So, where is this law that requires foreigners to carry any sort of ID on them?  What law requires Thai citizens to do so? 

Don't mean to disparage any comments or opinions given on this subject, but I would like to see a cite to the actual law since I have heard so many contradictory statements on the subject and, save one traffic incident, have never been asked for my ID.

I've seen this debate contested numerous times here in TVF.  I think it's just one of those gray areas since there is a big difference between what is written law and what is practical law.

The law does exist, though I'd be at a loss to find it in written form since it is probably written in Thai somewhere in Immigration law statutes, but I remember reading an interview by the Bangkok Post with a Thai Immigration police official who said emphatically that it was the law for foreigner to actually have their "original" passport on their person at all times while in public, and be able to produce it to authorities on demand. 

He specifically made the point that a copy of the passport, or a substitute ID like a Thai Driver's license was not acceptable.  

I suspect the reasoning behind this is the high number of people violating their visas with overstays.

The chances of repercussions, if any,  are probably small, maybe a fine and a trip to the police station after you go home to get your passport, so I, like many, don't bother walking around with it all the time...but it is the law, and I'm sure if I cop was in a bad mood he could cause you to have a bad day if so inclined.

Take it for what you will ?

Edited by Kohsamida

11 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

I remember reading an interview by the Bangkok Post with a Thai Immigration police official who said emphatically that it was the law for foreigner to actually have their "original" passport on their person at all times while in public, and be able to produce it to authorities on demand

I remember reading a  lot of news articles quoting government official as saying something which is wrong. The article you quoted is one of them.

19 hours ago, OJAS said:

The nearest law that I have been able to come up with in this connection is the Alien Registration Act B.E 2493 (1950), section 17 of which contains a specific requirement for aliens in possession of an identity certificate "to carry the identity certificate with them or keep the same in a manner ready to show it to the administrative official or police officer at all times at the request of the administrative official or police officer". However, this particular certificate has, I take it, long since ceased to exist - and, in any event, non-immigrants (which is what most of us long-stayers are classed as under Thai immigration law) appear to have been exempted from this requirement by virtue of sub-section 16(4)!

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Alien_Registration_Act,_B.E._2493_(1950).pdf

Thank you, OJAS, for posting the link to the English translation of the Alien  Registration Act B.E, 2493 (1950). For the legal eagles among the Thaivisa members I am adding the link to the original Thai text:

http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/law/law2/%a118/%a118-20-9999-update.pdf

On 7/10/2018 at 6:28 PM, Maestro said:

I remember reading a  lot of news articles quoting government official as saying something which is wrong. The article you quoted is one of them.

and I thought that was a chiang mai or some other northern official and it came from a speech at an expats meeting?  My memory anyway.

On 7/10/2018 at 6:00 PM, Pilotman said:

, perhaps not on the farm, but at most other times.  All Thais have an ID card. 

You contradicted yourself verifying your statement "all" is not true....

Edited by bkk6060

12 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

You contradicted yourself verifying your statement "all" is not true....

He was saying they don't carry their ID cards when working on the farm.

It is mandatory that a Thai have a ID card or they are subject to detention and a fine. It would certainly be a rarity for a Thai not to have one.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Boon Mee said:

I never carry my passport out of the house unless I'm going to Immigration for the 90 day or renewing the Visa. 

The Pink Card coupled with the driver's license is sufficient. 

Pink card?

I have never had an IDP and my Thai license looks the same as everyone elses. Definitely no need for an IDP with a Thai Licence.

My Passport stays at home locked up in my Safe. Period.

A copy of my Passport is saved to my iPhone, as well as in a separate Gmail Folder, along with all the following: Scanned signed copies of my Passport, Thai Drivers License, Thai pink ID Card and Tambian Baan (Yellow House Papers) Signed hard copies of all docs are also kept in the glove box of my car with the insurance docs.