British foreign secretary quits in protest over May's Brexit plan

Jonathan Fairfield

British foreign secretary quits in protest over May's Brexit plan

2018-07-09T141226Z_1_LYNXMPEE6819V_RTROPTP_3_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

LONDON (Reuters) - Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson quit on Monday over Prime Minister Theresa May's plans to leave the European Union, the second resignation in a day leaving the British leader's Brexit plans all but in tatters.

After a day when the foreign secretary cancelled meetings for crisis talks at his official residence in central London, Johnson decided to walk from his job - just hours after May's Brexit minister David Davis did the same in protest at her plans.

The two resignations leave May badly exposed at the top of a government unable to unite over Britain's biggest foreign and trading policy shift in almost half a decade.

It also puts a question mark over whether the leader will try to weather it and stand firm in her commitment to pursue a "business friendly" Brexit, or will be faced with more resignations and calls to quit herself.

"This afternoon, the Prime Minister accepted the resignation of Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary," May's spokesman said in a statement. "His replacement will be announced shortly. The Prime Minister thanks Boris for his work."

The departures raise the stakes for May, who secured a hard-won agreement with her deeply divided cabinet of ministers on Friday to keep the closest possible trading ties with the EU.

Many eurosceptics are angry, saying the agreed strategy betrays her promise for a clean break with the EU, raising the prospect that some could try to unseat her.

(Additional reporting by Andrew MacAskill, Michael Holden and Kate Holton, Editing by William Maclean)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-07-09

6 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

"This afternoon, the Prime Minister accepted the resignation of Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary," May's spokesman said in a statement. "His replacement will be announced shortly. The Prime Minister thanks Boris for his work."

Bet she has already got a replacement lined up, did not take long to replace the other wet blanket.

• Like 1

A man of great principle, voted for it on Friday, resigns on Monday following Davis making the first move. Gutless. 

Only one thing on his mind and it ain’t the World Cup Semi hence the scathing resignation letter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Samui Bodoh said:

I have said it before and will say it again; the UK is not ready for Brexit and to undertake such a huge, complicated policy shift with little or no large scale agreement, consensus and/or with a minority, incompetent government is pure madness!

Many will condemn my idea, but I recommend that the UK should delay Brexit (5 years? 10 Years? 20 Years?) until it manages to get its act together, have consensus on what it wants, and has a government capable of delivering that.

Moving forward under these circumstances is plain stupid.

Is it legally possible for HMG to exit from BREXIT? If so...

What is currently the level of voter support for BREXIT now reality of the lies by Leavers have been exposed? Doubt Corbyn can achieve power, so why not announce intention to exit from Brexit and a General Election for voter buy-in or not. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

UPDATE:

UK PM May appoints Jeremy Hunt as new foreign minister

2018-07-09T205324Z_1_LYNXMPEE6822B_RTROPTP_3_BRITAIN-EU.JPG

Britain's new Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs Jeremy Hunt talks to the media outside the Foreign Office in central London, Britain, July 9, 2018. REUTERS/Simon Dawson

LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Theresa May appointed Jeremy Hunt as foreign minister on Monday after predecessor Boris Johnson resigned in protest at the government's plans for a close trading relationship with the European Union.

Full story: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1047572-uk-pm-may-appoints-jeremy-hunt-as-new-foreign-minister/

9 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Is it legally possible for HMG to exit from BREXIT? If so...

What is currently the level of voter support for BREXIT now reality of the lies by Leavers have been exposed? Doubt Corbyn can achieve power, so why not announce intention to exit from Brexit and a General Election for voter buy-in or not. 

I am not British, so I cannot give you a definitive answer.

That said, there is a general rule that a Parliament can do whatever it wants. Revoke the Brexit legislation; it only takes a vote...

The question is whether Europe would accept it, and if there were a... 20 year commitment(?) to the EU followed by another vote, then I think they would agree. Happily; they all seem to think it is a bad idea...

Stop the madness or pay the price of a botched, terrible, incompetent break-up process.

Edited by Samui Bodoh
Lack of coffee

With England possibly going through to the World Cup final its a great opportunity for pollies to dissent and the government to make some really  unpopular decsions.  The public are sheeple that will be hypnotised by a football game. Alot of weird stuff is happening in the UK but not in Russia.

8 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

If the UK was ready for Brexit, why did the Leave camp manage to muster barely 1 in 3 of the electorate to back them? The UK has been made an international laughing stock; is being brought to its knees to satisfy 37% of the electorate. There is no denying that Leave got marginally more votes than Remain, however the picture being painted of a UK population desperate to leave the EU is... desperate.

The UK was more then ready, hence the result even with the prime Minister sending leaflets to every household and the project fear. Remember the remain mustered as you say, even less votes.

The establishment and the EU puppets from the media to banks and businesses have and are still trying desperately to keep the UK in the EU. I would say your tone here is just one of bitterness clutching at a weak and poor statistical figure.

Admit it more people voted to leave than remain and I am more than confident would do again, with a more truthful and even playing field, be a greater win. I wonder if you would have felt the same if the result was the same in the Scottish referendum, with 52% wanting to leave the UK. I know the answer so no need to reply. Double standards.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

The UK was more then ready, hence the result even with the prime Minister sending leaflets to every household and the project fear. Remember the remain mustered as you say, even less votes.

The establishment and the EU puppets from the media to banks and businesses have and are still trying desperately to keep the UK in the EU. I would say your tone here is just one of bitterness clutching at a weak and poor statistical figure.

Admit it more people voted to leave than remain and I am more than confident would do again, with a more truthful and even playing field, be a greater win. I wonder if you would have felt the same if the result was the same in the Scottish referendum, with 52% wanting to leave the UK. I know the answer so no need to reply. Double standards.

I have called for the EU referendum to be repeated, not because of the split or voter turnout, but because of the dirty tricks of both sides and the mounting evidence pointing to illegality from the Leave campaign. If all was above board and there was no evidence of foul play, then I would not be in a position to call for a repeat.

HOWEVER, I would continue to point out that your comments such as

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

I disagree the UK has been ready for Brexit for years

is disingenuous, hubristic nonsense. If the UK was ready, more than 50% of the electorate would be supportive of Brexit.

• Confused 1