Using Thai DL to rent car in Europe?

samran

Since car hire companies are used to dealing with tourists from various countries around the world, I don't know why you would have a problem.

I don't have any direct experience of hiring a car in Spain but I was able to hire a car in the UK with a Thai driver's license with no problem whatsoever.

When my wife did it ( they wouldn't accept my EU visa

card, but would accept her Thai one, so we needed to rent in her name) they insisted on an IDP. Problem is, no one there is going to be able to  read a Thai driving licence, so how will they know if it is valid ? 

6 minutes ago, tebee said:

When my wife did it ( they wouldn't accept my EU visa

card, but would accept her Thai one, so we needed to rent in her name) they insisted on an IDP. Problem is, no one there is going to be able to  read a Thai driving licence, so how will they know if it is valid ? 

Since a Thai DL is in English they would be able to read it.

Mostly a Thai DL will be accepted, but only the rental company can confirm their requirements. It will have to be a 5-year or permanent license though.

12 hours ago, tebee said:

Problem is, no one there is going to be able to  read a Thai driving licence, so how will they know if it is valid ? 

Err, because it's in English? (Or at least, all the relevant parts are).

As I said, in the UK I had no problem. When I asked if I could use a foreign licence they said sure, so long as the information we need (name, validity etc) is in English - which it is.

The Avis website in UK says that people with Licences from outside the EU need an international Licence. I read on one review site of a customer being turned away as they did not have an IDP so I got myself an International Licence  before going to the UK earlier this year.

Most people will tell you that they just use their five year licence and it is usually OK

I guess you can call the rental company to check up to check

Getting a IDP in Thailand is not so difficult. You just have to be patient as there can be long queues at the land transport offices

2 hours ago, lexilis said:

What about the US. Does anyone know if a 5-year Thai DL would be sufficient there?

Different states, different DL requirements.

But in general yes, 5 year Thai DL will be accepted and legal. But to be sure, check.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Last. Minute work trip and was caught out so had no time to get to the DLT (which I am very familiar with). 

Hertz have told me verbally on the phone that they are happy with it, but let’s see what happens when I get to the front desk. 

Archived