Some thoughts after the Chiang Rai rescue

Brunolem

48 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Or the kids were just being kids and did something they knew was dangerous with their coach (who should have known better) and went into a cave that should have been locked off with better signage. Through skill, and one mans life, they have thankfully been saved. Not much luck at play there and hope Thailand learns a little more about H&S.

In the UK, all pots (caves) that may be hazardous (Tham Luang certainly falls into this category) have their entrances gated and locked. Some just appear as a small hole, barely large enough for a man to squeeze through but open out into much larger cave systems. These are secured by the local speleological societies and to gain access you must apply, in advance, to them and prove your capability as a potholer to enter said cave. Also, the party is logged in and out by the keyholder. Larger caves that are open to the public generally have their access controlled by the cave owner. Before entering any cave system it's normal practice to check the weather forecast for the time you plan to be in there from a reliable source (normally the Met Office). Had these basic precautions been followed, none of this would have happened. As for the coach, I can understand him not following any basic safety precautions as this isn't normal practice in Thailand. What really baffles me is why he led them 4km into the cave system, barefoot with no hard hats. If he had only gone as far as the first large cave and had his picnic there he would have easily led the party out when the water started to rise. The route they took was the same as the route used to rescue them, a route difficult enough that, even when dry, should only be attempted by experienced cavers with the appropriate equipment.

Guy was irresponsible and unthinking and seriously endangered the lives of the children in his charge. Personally, I wouldn't want to see him prosecuted as he knew no better but would ensure that he was never put in charge of children again.

Hopefully, the Thai authorities will restrict the access to all caves in Thailand (not just Tham Luang, which is what is currently proposed) but I won't hold my breath.

Edited by Spidey
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 6
  • Thanks 1

Or the kids were just being kids and did something they knew was dangerous with their coach (who should have known better) and went into a cave that should have been locked off with better signage. Through skill, and one mans life, they have thankfully been saved. Not much luck at play there and hope Thailand learns a little more about H&S.

Shame about learning H&S far to late to save over 40 Chinese tourists from drowning, death means very little in this country!!

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

If only the entire world could be run like the UK wouldn't things be wonderful.

In another thread someone babbled on about a common trait of the British being their uncontrollable urge to help those in need.

It seems the only common trait of  the British is  a long history of masturbatory orgies of dubious self-praise and  the delusional belief that they are actually the chosen people.

cecil.jpg.8a276e4ac0bde05a70fb3295215aa2db.jpg

Ohhh, where are they, can I come?

:laugh:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

If only the entire world could be run like the UK wouldn't things be wonderful.

In another thread someone babbled on about a common trait of the British being their uncontrollable urge to help those in need.

It seems the only common trait of  the British is  a long history of masturbatory orgies of dubious self-praise and  the delusional belief that they are actually the chosen people.

cecil.jpg.8a276e4ac0bde05a70fb3295215aa2db.jpg

I think you'll find that it's the Jews that regard themselves as the chosen people (and who are we to argue?).

Ironically, Cecil Rhodes is a distant relative of mine!

Never took part in a masturbatory orgy unless firing our semen up a 6' wall surrounding the outside toilets at school counts. The point of the exercise was to see who could reach the farthest up the wall. Sadly, I was never awarded first prize. Not so much an orgy, more a scientific experiment - well that's my story and I'm sticking to it! (No pun intended).

Edited by Spidey
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Some excellent posts here though I do take umbrage with the chap who chastised masturbating Poms.

There is an aphorism in aviation that a superior pilot uses his superior knowledge to avoid the sort of situations where his superior skills will be required.

The question has to be asked, why in the face of ample available information (knowledge ) did they enter the cave (situation) resulting in the need to put the lives of hundreds of rescuers (skills) at risk.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, HooHaa said:

not the uk.

and you have no say regarding the coach.

thank heaven.

Yes, in the UK.

Neither do you have any say regarding the coach, or what I say' thank heaven.

1 minute ago, Brunolem said:

What pains me, even though it doesn't baffle me, is the significant number of nasty characters among the TV membership...

You being a prime example?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Brunolem said:

Because?

You seem to post nothing but negative posts against other posters. Any negative post against Thais or Thailand and you're on it like a rash.

I read and post on TVF for my own amusement, constant toadying and backslapping is.....boring!

You seem to want to enforce extreme censorship. Are you a member of the military junta by any chance?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Spidey said:

You seem to post nothing but negative posts against other posters. Any negative post against Thais or Thailand and you're on it like a rash.

I read and post on TVF for my own amusement, constant toadying and backslapping is.....boring!

You seem to want to enforce extreme censorship. Are you a member of the military junta by any chance?

Difficult to draw conclusions from one of my posts out of more than a thousand...

I don't like and want censorship, but I use to defend my positions as much as I feel, and in this specific case, I would be on the coach side whatever his nationality might be.

Regarding the topic at hand, I am not convinced that "amusement" is appropriate...

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

The UK is certainly not an example for the rest of the world and should better focus on its multiple internal problems!

What baffles you isn't baffling at all!

They were found deep inside the cave because they were forced to move that far by the incoming flood!

What pains me, even though it doesn't baffle me, is the significant number of nasty characters among the TV membership...

People who know better, give lessons and of course consider themselves way above the riff raff...

People who follow all the rules and regulations to the letter, who never make mistakes...

People with absolutely no compassion, even for a poor guy who lost both his parents and his brother when he was 10, and that they would like to see sanctioned...

In other words abject people!!!

I'm with you here Brunolem , all this malice against the coach , when I was about 10 yo there was a park nearby and on one side was a wooden fence , the other side were the back gardens of posh houses where we used to go scrumping , over the fence grab the Golden Delicious and back before the bloke sitting in the lounge could reach us with his hammer ,

We didn't wear gloves as protection against smashed fingers , we didn't tell our parents where the apples came from , we just did what kids did before the arrival of the nanny state.

To add to your OP list , I did wonder what if .  What if they had gone somewhere else first and left their bikes 2k away , would anyone have looked in the cave as ' They might be there '. There my 50 Satangs worth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

Shame about learning H&S far to late to save over 40 Chinese tourists from drowning, death means very little in this country!!

Shame about the Chinese owner of the Chinese company that took the Chinese tourists on the boat learning about H&S too late: the death of so many of his compatriots meant very little to him!!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Difficult to draw conclusions from one of my posts out of more than a thousand...

I read a good number of your posts before I came to my conclusion. What I particularly took umbrage with was the rambling diatribe that formed the last paragraph of your post.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

I'm with you here Brunolem , all this malice against the coach , when I was about 10 yo there was a park nearby and on one side was a wooden fence , the other side were the back gardens of posh houses where we used to go scrumping , over the fence grab the Golden Delicious and back before the bloke sitting in the lounge could reach us with his hammer ,

We didn't wear gloves as protection against smashed fingers , we didn't tell our parents where the apples came from , we just did what kids did before the arrival of the nanny state.

To add to your OP list , I did wonder what if .  What if they had gone somewhere else first and left their bikes 2k away , would anyone have looked in the cave as ' They might be there '. There my 50 Satangs worth.

For me it was not apples and hammer, but cherries and dogs...those were the good old days...

As far as I know, it was not the bikes that revealed their location, but one of their friends who knew that they were in the cave.

5 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I read a good number of your posts before I came to my conclusion. What I particularly took umbrage with was the rambling diatribe that formed the last paragraph of your post.

I would be surprised if you found a bias favoring Thais over farangs in my posts!

Generally, I try to avoid this issue and, from time to time, I have been accused by other members of Thai bashing...go figure...

Edited by Brunolem

Just now, Brunolem said:

I would be surprised if you found a bias favoring Thais over farangs in my posts!

Generally, I try to avoid this issue and, from time to time, I have been accused by other members of Thai bashing...go figure...

Schizophrenia? 555