Thai business owners who think they own the public road

Grumpy Old Man

Try to tell them otherwise and you get a face full or agro, i have tried once and nearly got into a fight over someone placing his restaurant tables in the middle of the road, learned my lesson since....

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:
17 minutes ago, seancbk said:

If I owned or rented a shop I would consider the parking out front to be mine.   

Why, do you maintain the roads and curbs?

No, but I'd expect to be able to park outside my shop.   What if I needed to do regular deliveries and needed to be parked there to pickup/drop-off stuff?  

It's common courtesy to leave the spot outside a shop for the owner. 

Unless there is a parking meter outside the shop, everywhere I've lived in Asia treats spaces outside shops as for the use of the shop.

Edited by seancbk
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

Another farang kicked ass for principle. Great he told us all about it.

How many of you guys and gals Cary bolt cutters in your vehicle?

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect

I'm starting to think hard ass Mr Grumpy might have those bolt cutters in the truck to use as "toe" cutters to anyone who tries to irritate him ?

By the way, OP, good for you standing up for your principals and rights, but as you have alluded to, you are aware of the possible consequences.

Edited by Farangwithaplan
  • Like 1

"Good for you cutting the chain. First thought take it with you (but then they could claim theft). Perhaps cut into 4" sections would be in order?"

One could argue that he was destroying private property by damaging the chain. 

"...everywhere I've lived in Asia treats spaces outside shops as for the use of the shop."

"Treats" is the operative word here. They have no legal right to it, but often call "dibs" on it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sydneyjed said:

This country has one rule for Thais' and Thais..then no rules for Thais' and farangs.

I image that if a local did what the OP did and they weren't notably hi-so, there would have been a similar outcome. At least that's my experience in my little part of the kingdom. I find I get treated no differently to the locals, at least I don't notice any different. In fact I believe I get treated with a higher respect than the way a lot of locals do.

• Like 1

Its a pet hate of mine,its all over Thailand,and the authorities turn a blind eye to it,i have had a number of altercations with busiñesses in Pattaya and Jomtien,even one with a mid 30's French farang that knocked my window when i returned to my car to tell me not to park there,there were no chairs or witches hats there,i actually thought the place had closed down,due to a couple of pot plants blocking the entrance at the top of the stairs.I just pointed to my car registration sticker on my windscreen,and told him that i pay for that to park here,he went off saying he will get the police,i told him to get them,as there was a Police box about 50 metres away at the 711 at Dong Tan beach,he never took me up on the offer..I am surprised there has been nobody shot over it....T.I.T.

12 minutes ago, seancbk said:

No, but I'd expect to be able to park outside my shop.   What if I needed to do regular deliveries and needed to be parked there to pickup/drop-off stuff?  

It's common courtesy to leave the spot outside a shop for the owner. 

Unless there is a parking meter outside the shop, everywhere I've lived in Asia treats spaces outside shops as for the use of the shop.

BALLCOCKS is  it