Danger Thailand: Now lunchtime diners get dumped in the sea as restaurant floor collapses

snoop1130

Danger Thailand: Now lunchtime diners get dumped in the sea as restaurant floor collapses

hghjhyj.JPG

In a further dent to Thailand's image as a safe tourist destination comes news from Sattahip today of the collapse of a seaside restaurant floor.

Some 70 diners - men and women visiting Bang Saray from a Buriram sugar factory - were dumped in the sea. 

Fortunately the tide was out as a huge hole appeared in the floor of the restaurant.

The hole measured 6.4m wide by 11.1m long.

Everybody was brought to the safety of the shore but 29 were reported injured and taken to hospital. 

Police, local officials and rescue teams were quickly on the scene to help the Thai tourists.

The collapsed section is part of a mid-section of a structure that stretches 200 meters out to sea. 

Police have temporarily shut down the restaurant as an investigation begins. 

Source: https://www.dailynews.co.th/regional/654819

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2018-7-13

Images Channel 3

r.jpg
r2.jpg
r3.jpg
r4.jpg
r5.jpg
r6.jpg

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

70 diners fell through that hole? I wonder why they were all standing so close together? Waiting to be seated?
The live seafood tanks appear to have survived, so obviously no lobsters were injured.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

chinese

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm sure a very thorough police investigation into the collapse will conclude:

A. too many heavy people eating in one place.

B. the restaurant owner forget to wear his amulets today.

C. a runaway speed boat from Phuket hit the support beams causing the collapse.

Take your pick!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Henrik Andersen said:

Surely this restaurant is illegal because you can't build on beach that's government land 

There are businesses and nice houses that go on for kilometers around that bay. You can see where they start and stop near the Navy base from Jomtien

Can't see any substantial supporting structure, just long lengths of thin wood. Its obvious it wasn't built to support large numbers of people on it. Maybe it was OK when they first opened with fewer customers, but in true Thai style, just cram in more people and forget about everything except profit.

Interested to see what the reaction is to this - if it leads to inspections on other structures built over the sea, which is technically illegal anyway, half of Walking Street could be brought into question.

7 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

Can't see any substantial supporting structure, just long lengths of thin wood. Its obvious it wasn't built to support large numbers of people on it. Maybe it was OK when they first opened with fewer customers, but in true Thai style, just cram in more people and forget about everything except profit.

as I walk it each day ,I see the real cause is the police riding thier scooters over it every morning to p/u their envelopes and the income sheet from yesterdays beach vendors,then the morning newspaper man on his scooter ,then all the beach bullie tour group gang on scooters

Interested to see what the reaction is to this - if it leads to inspections on other structures built over the sea, which is technically illegal anyway, half of Walking Street could be brought into question.

Thought the Walking Street inspections were done and dusted previously, no? They dismantled some buildings but only a few if I remember....

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk