Removing an old spirit house

CardSenseJimmyBond

On 7/14/2018 at 1:29 PM, 55Jay said:

There's an open field near where I live and as they do, Thais use it as an unofficial middle of the night dump site to avoid paying a bit of money to dump at the real one.  I've seen a few  busted up "spirit houses" out there some time ago, and once, noted a few thrown into bushes along side a country road.   

I wouldn't get wrapped around the axle about it and worse, set a precedent that you'll go along with this superstitious nonsense. 

Or just lie and make up a lovely sounding story like Thais would to whitewash the less sexy idea that they're just getting rid of some shit they don't want anymore.  I suggest you say you're making a home for homeless, starving birds, paralyzed from the wings down.  The more tragic and sappy it is, the better.  You'll be a hero!

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/discarded-spirit-houses-turned-artificial-reefs/

Wrong. it must be done correctly.

• Haha 1

Just now, The manic said:

You know nothing about Thailand. Dont make light of things can crush you. You are borderline abusing aspects of Thai culture that could get you in real trouble. And not just forum rules. Grow up or get out.

Seriously?  Thailand's not difficult to suss out but I appreciate some here like to get all wrapped up in the silly stuff.  Makes them feel more "assimilated" I suppose.

Agreed though, I'll move along but you have to know, the irony in the advice to "grow up", is a real gut buster considering the topic at hand.  Amazing.  Anyway, see ya'.

27 minutes ago, The manic said:

A good way to lose your life

incredible, burn a pile of  wood and lose your life, aint religion grand, dont suppose that goes against any of their religious teachings though, being all good  Buddhists and such.

Unfortunately, the thing is concrete, so it is not exactly easy to move.  I managed to retrieve most all of the dolls from the trash, so I would hope it wouldn't be too bad, unless people (or spirits) are especially vindictive.

I don't mean any offence- as I said I don't mind other people having this stuff. Wife is relatively westernized (including higher education), so is not too fussed; I have a kid I am trying to provide a rational and non-religious upbringing to (trying not to sound too up myself). 

Think I will try the temple way just so as to not upset the new neighbours too much, though it does go against my outlook- I hate peer pressure...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CardSenseJimmyBond said:

Unfortunately, the thing is concrete, so it is not exactly easy to move.  I managed to retrieve most all of the dolls from the trash, so I would hope it wouldn't be too bad, unless people (or spirits) are especially vindictive.

I don't mean any offence- as I said I don't mind other people having this stuff. Wife is relatively westernized (including higher education), so is not too fussed; I have a kid I am trying to provide a rational and non-religious upbringing to (trying not to sound too up myself). 

Think I will try the temple way just so as to not upset the new neighbours too much, though it does go against my outlook- I hate peer pressure...

Mate, this obviously bothers you. It's not the Monks who deal with this. You need to find out a 'priest' who deals with this, usually the guy who sets up new shrines.He won't be a Monk but rather an Indian faith-based chap. Ask around. When we had our shrine blessed it wasn't Buddhist Monks.

5 minutes ago, grollies said:

Mate, this obviously bothers you. It's not the Monks who deal with this. You need to find out a 'priest' who deals with this, usually the guy who sets up new shrines.He won't be a Monk but rather an Indian faith-based chap. Ask around. When we had our shrine blessed it wasn't Buddhist Monks.

It doesn't bother me at all, but I can see it bothering other people.  Hope I don't seem whiney!

Interesting idea you gave there about different monks. I will ask my wife if she knows anything about it.

Edited by CardSenseJimmyBond

3 hours ago, digbeth said:

Normally the dumping ground would be a T junction somewhere(it's a superstition), best to look for where the locals already dumped theirs

...is the CORRECT answer (at last).

The OP should take a drive around and keep an eye out for his local/regional spirit house repository. It's usually road-side where 3 roads meet and not specifically a t-junction. That's where to dump it; no ceremony, shamans or monks or pooyai needed and absolutely no need to put any sort of bric a brac back in it to appease bugger all.

It's one of the very few jobs a farang can do here that doesn't involve cultural mumbo jumbo or a work permit.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

...is the CORRECT answer (at last).

The OP should take a drive around and keep an eye out for his local/regional spirit house repository. It's usually road-side where 3 roads meet and not specifically a t-junction. That's where to dump it; no ceremony, shamans or monks or pooyai needed and absolutely no need to put any sort of bric a brac back in it to appease bugger all.

It's one of the very few jobs a farang can do here that doesn't involve cultural mumbo jumbo or a work permit.

One of the dumbest replies I've read in TVF in a while.

So, aside from everyone's religious and cultural beliefs:

1. The OP should take a drive around and keep an eye out for his local/regional spirit house repository.

Ok, so why does he have to dump it at a 3-way junction if.....

2. It's one of the very few jobs a farang can do here that doesn't involve cultural mumbo jumbo or a work permit.

Your comment makes no sense.

The OP is equally whitless.

48 minutes ago, CardSenseJimmyBond said:

It doesn't bother me at all, but I can see it bothering other people.  Hope I don't seem whiney!

Yep, you do. Apparently it doesn't bother either you or your Thai wife, so what is the point of this post?

I have total respect for @kannot who at least tells it as he sees it, even if I don't agree.

Unfortunately for you, you cannot take kannot's advice and burn it, as it's concrete. So fella, put the figurines back in the bin, take a sledgehammer to it and maybe use the debris as a soakaway from your septic tank.....unless it really does bother you but that's a seperate topic maybe. Anyway, good luck.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, grollies said:

One of the dumbest replies I've read in TVF in a while.

Ok, so why does he have to dump it at a 3-way junction if.....

2. It's one of the very few jobs a farang can do here that doesn't involve cultural mumbo jumbo or a work permit.

The usual bin men or whatever thetsaban that comes won't take it, even if you drive to a recycling place they won't take it either, leaving it where there are already other spirit houses at a T/3way junction is tantamount to fly tipping (illegal dumping) but it's socially acceptable dumping, the poor sod who owns the land would have already internalized the cost of bulldozing the concrete spirit house into his landfill when he buys the land.

Compared to If you just dump it on any other place where they dump garbage illegally where normally spirit house is not dumped, the neighbors or who ever own the land there would be in distress for the unusual dumping of spirit house where they would not expect.

Paying shamans or monks or hindu brahmin to make a ceremony and take it away would result in that they dump it at a T junction somewhere anyway but with great cost to you 

• Haha 1

I don't believe in these things, but I find them kind of charming with in the Thai cultural context. So why not fix it up and make it a part of you landscaping.  

How about the OP provides a picture? does he need the room , is it intrusive?

I am an atheist but at the same time I am a cultural christian, I don't believe in all the mumbo-jumbo but  enjoy some of the Christian culture I was brought up in . Can something like this apply to this Buddhist/Animistic Thai cultural symbol.

Why remove it?

Edited by sirineou
typo

3 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Seriously?  Thailand's not difficult to suss out but I appreciate some here like to get all wrapped up in the silly stuff.  Makes them feel more "assimilated" I suppose.

Agreed though, I'll move along but you have to know, the irony in the advice to "grow up", is a real gut buster considering the topic at hand.  Amazing.  Anyway, see ya'.

When in Rome....

16 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I don't believe in these things, but I find them kind of charming with in the Thai cultural context. So why not fix it up and make it a part of you landscaping.  

How about the OP provides a picture? does he need the room , is it intrusive?

I am an atheist but at the same time I am a cultural christian, I don't believe in all the mumbo-jumbo but  enjoy some of the Christian culture I was brought up in . Can something like this apply to this Buddhist/Animistic Thai cultural symbol.

Why remove it?

Just removed it in the correct way

14 minutes ago, The manic said:

When in Rome....

A silly cliche to use in this context.  It's more mature and honest to be selective and sensible, rather than putting your brain on the shelf just to pacify and coddle the silliest Romans in Rome. 

Thankfully my Mrs. isn't into religion, so I don't need to pretend, enable or facilitate a lot of rituals, superstitious dogma or old wive's tales.  I've dismantled a few she'd been holding on to since childhood, thanks to her parents, I'm sure.   Exposure to the big world outside Thailand and Asia in general, has helped diminish it as well. 

Nevertheless, ghosts and goblins seem to sail right past our house.  

Just lucky I guess. 

Or it could be the neon sign I installed out front on the lawn. 

image.png.5fdff59f315fdd8f89c422d6ff1521fa.png

30 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

A silly cliche to use in this context.  It's more mature and honest to be selective and sensible, rather than putting your brain on the shelf just to pacify and coddle the silliest Romans in Rome. 

Thankfully my Mrs. isn't into religion, so I don't need to pretend, enable or facilitate a lot of rituals, superstitious dogma or old wive's tales.  I've dismantled a few she'd been holding on to since childhood, thanks to her parents, I'm sure.   Exposure to the big world outside Thailand and Asia in general, has helped diminish it as well. 

Nevertheless, ghosts and goblins seem to sail right past our house.  

Just lucky I guess. 

Or it could be the neon sign I installed out front on the lawn. 

image.png.5fdff59f315fdd8f89c422d6ff1521fa.png

Not a cliche but a wise truism.  What you believe is irrelevant. It's the beliefs of the community you live. Your immaturity speaks volumes. No more thanks. Somebody asked for advice about a culturally sensitive matter. All he has to do is consult senior member of his community including, monks,police and mediums.  Your suggestions are just arrogant cultural insensitivity.  I will block you now.

• Haha 1

On 7/14/2018 at 4:57 AM, ChouDoufu said:

not offering advice, just observations....

have cycled many tens of thousands of kilometers thru thailand, and seems every small town or village has a few spots along the back roads where the locals dump old spirit houses.  doesn't appear to have been done with any ceremony, just stop the pickup long enough to chuck the items in the ditch, sometimes with all the little zebra and chicken statues still inside.

not that the results at the temples are any different.  wander around the back areas of temples, or in the woods surrounding them, and often run across the same piles.

I was puzzled in my early travels in Thailand when I saw so many of these things dumped and broken beside the road in deserted areas. I couldn't reconcile that with the apparent reverence Thai people appear to have for them.

The truth is self-evident: when these things get to be too much trouble they are simply discarded and the spirits be damned.. Apparently anyway.

In general I can't advocate dumping beside the road (an ever-popular past time here), but in this case just wait for a moonless night, backup your truck, and free those spirits!

• Like 1

Every neighborhood has a tree, if not a temple, where the spirit houses can be put to rest after their years of service. I asked a neighbor's housekeeper who was glad to help for a modest tip.