VIDEO: British cave explorer Vern Unsworth considers legal action against Elon Musk

webfact

Even if Mr. Musk apologizes, Mr. Unsworth could still bring civil action.

Civil action where? In USA civil libel is a state issue not federal. And it may be that Mr. Musk was not even in the USA when he made those tweets.

• Haha 1

Well he may have a number of options on where to sue...

Musk is now a US resident, the US courts award eye watering amounts in damages, problem is they are appealed and it will take years to get any of it, with many noughts knocked of the original award and the lawyers getting most of it. 

The UK the favorite for deformation, but more realistic awards, but again the the lawyers are the ones to gain the most.

Thailand, well not only a civil matter but also deformation is a criminal thing too so could serve time at the BKK Hilton, down side is Thailand is totally incompetent at extraditing it's criminals and plenty of opportunities to buy his way out of the shit hole he dug for himself. 

4 hours ago, SammyT said:

Musk has 22.3 million twitter followers. If you'd be happy with him slandering you and calling you a paedophile to that many people, so be it. It's not like it was words spoken between to two in a bar. Personally, I'd be suing him as well. Maybe I'm just not as big a man as you...

Maybe time to close his twitter account...

The European Union has given Google, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and other internet companies three months to show that they are removing extremist content more rapidly or face legislation forcing them to do so.

Social media firms have come under increasing pressure from various governments and the EU to do more to combat extremism and remove terrorist and objectionable content such as hate speech and Islamic State propaganda. But now the EU has given them a target and a deadline.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018/mar/01/eu-facebook-google-youtube-twitter-extremist-conten

3 hours ago, Thian said:

Can't wait to see Elon's sub going to cave 5.....Show me Elon! I think you can do it.

Going from the outside to cave 5 is child's play. With the water level low on the day of his VIP tour, Musk could walk there.

It is from cave 5 to cave 13, where the boys were holed up, that the passageway is in parts so narrow that the divers had to take their oxygen tanks off their backs to squeeze through and then put them back on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

I would take the 'Space Cadet' for every penny i could get if he called me what he called Vern Unsworth !

Well if you're white and you live in Thailand, that's exactly what he called you.

• Confused 1

There is no way a smart guy like Musk was going to call this guy "pedo" without checking up first. Musk has a lot of nerds working for him. They have dirt on this guy! It could be a picture or a video dug from the archives. If the Brit does not quit while still ahead, he will live to rue the day he entered that cave. It's LOS. Many skeletons. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Machiavelli said:

There is no way a smart guy like Musk was going to call this guy "pedo" without checking up first. Musk has a lot of nerds working for him. They have dirt on this guy! It could be a picture or a video dug from the archives. If the Brit does not quit while still ahead, he will live to rue the day he entered that cave. It's LOS. Many skeletons. 

Or local gossip his Thai minions might have gathered in Chiang Rai.

But the way I see it now. Vern's a jerk. Musk's a jerk. But the boys are alive so who gives a rat's ass.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

If so he wouldn't have deleted his tweets within a few minutes...

He knows its already out there. Nothing leaves the internet. It's bait. He knows he has your guy right where he wants him. Next move is your guy. Watch him crawl back to wherever he sprung from without a whimper. ? Tick tock.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Bang Bang said:

Or local gossip his Thai minions might have gathered in Chiang Rai.

But the way I see it now. Vern's a jerk. Musk's a jerk. But the boys are alive so who gives a rat's ass.

Agreed, and if was Vern, I would try to keep the peace. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Slip said:

I don't really understand why you keep banging this drum.  If he was in the US when he typed/ said it, then Unsworth can pursue it there at state level according to your comment.  <snip>

In the US, anyone can sue anyone as long as they can find a lawyer to take the case and get a Court to recognize venue.

19 minutes ago, JLCrab said:

In the US, anyone can sue anyone as long as they can find a lawyer to take the case and get a Court to recognize venue.

so what?  The point that you keep ignoring is that Musk defamed someone while Unsworth didn't. 

1 hour ago, Puccini said:

It is from cave 5 to cave 13, where the boys were holed up, that the passageway is in parts so narrow that the divers had to take their oxygen tanks off their backs to squeeze through and then put them back on.

I see, well maybe his sub can fit in that hole, maybe not....i bet he can build a sub with a jackhammer at the front as well to make that hole bigger.

The guy just tried to help, and a mini sub was a very good idea....

• Sad 1