UK's new Brexit envoy optimistic, as EU warns of Brexit crash

webfact

1 hour ago, nauseus said:

Brexit is significant to leave voters. A consequence of Brexit is the weakening of the EU, which Putin will probably like. But people did not vote leave with Putin's happiness in mind, so your inference is invalid.

And Putin didn't support it with the UK's welfare in mind either. Quite the contrary.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, nontabury said:

During my 30yrs living n Thailand, I always understood, that it was up to the Thais to comment on their governments, certainly not me. The only exception to this rule, was when I discussed Thai political events with fellow ex-pats.

Yet for some strange reason££££, there does seem to be a number of non- Brits on these thread, urging us to remain in the hated E.U.

Everyone is welcome to express their opinions here. A multinational view is useful I feel....

4 hours ago, Grouse said:

Everyone is welcome to express their opinions here. A multinational view is useful I feel....

Brexiteers are weird; many claim that the EU needs the UK more than the other way around, but they are surprised that non-Brits participate in these Brexit threads and urge the UK to remain......

Well maybe non-Brits here are just fascinated by why the UK would want to do so much harm to itself and intrigued by this 'car wreck in slow motion'.

Edited by whatsupdoc
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Actually Britain has no choice but to go for hard Brexit. The only alternative is total capitulation and be Juncker's bitch for the next 40 years.

Contrary to what many Brexiteers believe, Juncker was elected to his position so he is not going to stay there for the next 40 years.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, whatsupdoc said:

Contrary to what many Brexiteers believe, Juncker was elected to his position so he is not going to stay there for the next 40 years.

Whatever other people think about the UK, you have only to consider the alternative.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

You can honestly say that you haven't seen that sentiment expressed many times by Brexiteers in this forum? How about the sentiment that both sides will be equally damaged? Have you managed in your journey through many thread not to have noticed that one also?

And your use of name calling shows how resourceless you are.

I have seen those lines multiple times on this forum. I suppose we all have.

Btw. We, who agree that brexit is a bad deal, can actually start replying to each others posts. 

That way the Brexiters won't get so much publicity to their sometime weird thoughts. 

16 hours ago, bristolboy said:

The use of "snowflakes' and "remoaners"  just shows that you believe your arguments to be so weak that you resort to trolling instead. I believe that the chief troll was recently dispatched to Mordor for some R&R. Are you his replacement? 

"I believe that the chief troll was recently dispatched to Mordor for some R&R."

Genuine question that I've wondered previously - how do posters discover that other posters have received a 'holiday'?

Obviously I'm not paying enough attention, so another question has to be who is the "chief troll" to whom you refer? 

4 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

"I believe that the chief troll was recently dispatched to Mordor for some R&R."

Genuine question that I've wondered previously - how do posters discover that other posters have received a 'holiday'?

Obviously I'm not paying enough attention, so another question has to be who is the "chief troll" to whom you refer? 

In this case, I presume it is one of our more fiery Brexiteer contributors - I was observing the aftermath of a spat in which he was involved, and where one of the Mods intervened, but this was followed up by a rash display of teenage hubris - picture someone getting a telling off, then proceeding to rip off their shirt and throw it to the ground in defiance. This post was quickly edited to tone it down, but I assume by this point the self-inflicted damage had been done.

22 hours ago, Jip99 said:

I think the EU are better at playing poker than we are....................it is not in the EU's interests to see major problems either.

I sincerely believe, one way or another, things will be resolved because too many people (on both sides - and we shouldn't have to use that divisive phrase) have too much at stake.

I have little doubt that will turn out to be the case. The UK needs EASA, EASA does not need the UK.

TM has stated that the UK will not attempt to become an EASA member as it means ECJ jurisdiction but, as with several issues, she will in the end concede to reality.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jip99 said:

I normally visit the UK/Europe around the end of March/early April; do you think I should hold fire making any bookings - just in case all the airports are closed and my British passport is voided ?

I would suggest the opposite, some sort of arrangement will be made in respect of the airlines that are affected, but one thing we can be sure off, prices are not going to go in our favour.

Something good for Britain after Brexit. Proper ID system, which have been default in many EU countries for decades. 

Call for UK citizen ID system after Brexit

The ID registration system for EU citizens in the UK after Brexit should extend to Britons to avoid another Windrush scandal, a think tank says.

EU citizens in the UK will have to pay £65 and join a registration scheme to stay after the UK's transition period.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/29/2018 at 7:02 PM, Jip99 said:

I normally visit the UK/Europe around the end of March/early April; do you think I should hold fire making any bookings - just in case all the airports are closed and my British passport is voided ?

Booked mine a few days ago for early May. Having decided when to go I talked to my wife but the delay cost me about £100, these 2 decided to pick that point in time to speak, sterling took a hit and I think we are unlikely to see a recovery anytime soon.

Sterling has been on a downward trajectory since Liam Fox, the international trade secretary, said last weekend that the probability of a no deal Brexit was now “60-40”. His remarks compounded concerns voiced by Bank of England boss Mark Carney last week. The Bank’s governor said the chances of a no deal Brexit were “uncomfortably high”.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/pound-sterling-gbp-dollar-euro-exchange-rate-latest-no-deal-brexit-concerns-a8484056.html

• Sad 1