UK to warn public every week over 'no-deal Brexit': The Times

webfact

That just makes it sound like you want to be part of EFTA [emoji50]

IIRC PMTM emphasised ‘independent & bespoke’ is the aim.

PMTM has also given her full support & right to highlight DR Liam Fox’s recent views on a ‘No deal’ scenario. Yet still thinks a good deal is achievable.

Interesting times ahead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, citybiker said:

IIRC PMTM emphasised ‘independent & bespoke’ is the aim.

PMTM has also given her full support & right to highlight DR Liam Fox’s recent views on a ‘No deal’ scenario. Yet still thinks a good deal is achievable.

Interesting times ahead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PM May has 'emphasised' many things... and most if not all of them (red lines) were scrubbed out... The fact of the matter is she spends all of her time not trying to give her opponents in her own party something to discuss / argue / etc... that she has been unable to come to the table with something that is 'doable'.   So if you are relying on her keeping her word -- I think you might be a little delusional.  Interesting times is not always the best of times.

PM May has 'emphasised' many things... and most if not all of them (red lines) were scrubbed out... The fact of the matter is she spends all of her time not trying to give her opponents in her own party something to discuss / argue / etc... that she has been unable to come to the table with something that is 'doable'.   So if you are relying on her keeping her word -- I think you might be a little delusional.  Interesting times is not always the best of times.

Dillusional?

Ok, i'll leave you to your ramblings & enjoy the thread.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Harold Casados said:

Respect Your Waffle Maker. Be sure to read the instruction manual for your unit thoroughly. Different waffle makers are designed to cook waffles differently. Some people may tell you to coat your waffle maker with cooking spray. There's a good chance your manual will have different advice. If you bought your waffle maker in the last 5 years, chances are you should not use cooking spray.

Might be a post brexit biz opportunity for UK here,

produce and export waffle makers that work with AND without cooking spray!

(must adhere to the relevant waffle directive though - important for export to the EU)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, citybiker said:

Dillusional?

Ok, i'll leave you to your ramblings & enjoy the thread.

What would you call taking someones word at face value when they have repeatedly failed to live up to what they said? 

On 8/5/2018 at 9:03 PM, citybiker said:

EU'S own political protocol aptly named "Article 50" is what's to negotiate, we all bear in mind it could've been ignored but from a legal prospective it's due process.

The EU may not have asked the UK to leave, unwilling to self reform made Brexit a reality. Never mind, If Brussels has taken reform seriously it could all have been so different.

After Brexit, UK will have to renegotiate 759 treaties! ...but then they're such good negotiators!

Edited by kwilco

On 8/5/2018 at 9:03 PM, citybiker said:

EU'S own political protocol aptly named "Article 50" is what's to negotiate, we all bear in mind it could've been ignored but from a legal prospective it's due process.

The EU may not have asked the UK to leave, unwilling to self reform made Brexit a reality. Never mind, If Brussels has taken reform seriously it could all have been so different.

Article 50 only deals with the mechanics of leaving - any future relationship is to be negotiated separately. 

• Like 2

Having observed the Brexit process so far ,here are my brief impressions -

1) The EU is determined not to let the " Tail wag the dog " during the discussions . 

2) The major objective of the EU side is to prevent a break-up of the EU .

3) They ( the EU ) believe the UK must be punished as a lesson to any other countries who dare to leave .

4) France and Germany are not worried about a " No deal " because they believe Britain`s pain ( economically ) will be their gain.

5) Parliament is likely to vote against a no deal Brexit.

So,put all this together and what have you got...no idea,it will be interesting to see what happens.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, persimmon said:

3) They ( the EU ) believe the UK must be punished as a lesson to any other countries who dare to leave .

I disagree with this portrayal.  I see little evidence of "punishment" I see lots of evidence that the UK as an outsider -- will not get special treatment.   It is not the EU that asked you to make this choice, it is the UK that decided this is what they want.  It is the brexiters that have lied to the UK public that they could eat their cake and have it too... well... no... you can't...  There has been an arrogance about the UK position about how they are god's gift the EU and the EU will have to come begging at their feet...  and the EU has just said... no... we are going to treat you like any outsider ... if you want something you will have to give something... and it also works in reverse... you want to remove things from the table, the EU will remove things from the table too.

Edited by bkkcanuck8
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, tebee said:

It's not been help by a government that has decided to play to the popular mood and double down on the impossible promises made during the campaign while ignoring the views of the other half of the population.

Contrary to those who believe May  is a very cleaver remainder I  think she is a very stupid  popularist who believes her own rhetoric and listens only to sycophants who boost those views. 

By promising the impossible and ignoring those who disagree with her she  has split the country for years .

The images above are not the primary ones of where the UK is now or where it is going. The primary story since the vote is of a government split at its highest level in the Cabinet and of the PM trying to navigate a path somewhere down the middle. The suggestion that May is splitting the country is a nonsense other than to those who wish to paint Brexit Vs Remain into an exact picture of Tories Vs Labour. The missing piece of jigsaw in this story is the Labour Party which is just as split as the Tories and a leader who dishonestly represents his position which is, let's not mince our words here, to hold on to the Sunderland and Newcastle UKIP voters by refusing even to countenance a second referendum. You want your traitor to maintaining a split country? Its Jeremy Corbyn, left-wing hero.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

The images above are not the primary ones of where the UK is now or where it is going. The primary story since the vote is of a government split at its highest level in the Cabinet and of the PM trying to navigate a path somewhere down the middle. The suggestion that May is splitting the country is a nonsense other than to those who wish to paint Brexit Vs Remain into an exact picture of Tories Vs Labour. The missing piece of jigsaw in this story is the Labour Party which is just as split as the Tories and a leader who dishonestly represents his position which is, let's not mince our words here, to hold on to the Sunderland and Newcastle UKIP voters by refusing even to countenance a second referendum. You want your traitor to maintaining a split country? Its Jeremy Corbyn, left-wing hero.

If I were Theresa May -- I would try to engineer a non-confidence loss...  As soon as Jeremy Corbyn becomes Prime Minister - the shit would hit the fans and it would stick even more to him ?

1 minute ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

If I were Theresa May -- I would try to engineer a non-confidence loss...  As soon as Jeremy Corbyn becomes Prime Minister - the shit would hit the fans and it would stick even more to him ?

Yes. Its about that time for the expert opinions to flow in LK Metro. ?

33 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I disagree with this portrayal.  I see little evidence of "punishment" I see lots of evidence that the UK as an outsider -- will not get special treatment.   It is not the EU that asked you to make this choice, it is the UK that decided this is what they want.  It is the brexiters that have lied to the UK public that they could eat their cake and have it too... well... no... you can't...  There has been an arrogance about the UK position about how they are god's gift the EU and the EU will have to come begging at their feet...  and the EU has just said... no... we are going to treat you like any outsider ... if you want something you will have to give something... and it also works in reverse... you want to remove things from the table, the EU will remove things from the table too.

Good comment, think you are one to smth.

UK / gods gift? give me  a b

EU needs UK more than UK needs EU / give me a b

Piss off quickly from EU, let GB be great again  - give me a b

there aint no waves left for UK to rule

countries within and not within EU will get by just fine without the foggy islands

(most can do without Marmite and single malt)

UK has a very very serious case of suffering from superiority complex

9 minutes ago, aright said:

I voted to leave the EU for one reason only, for full political and economic independence.

That was not an option available to me staying inside the EU; so they are responsible for my Brexit vote.

So you want to be a subject to lords, dames, the queen and who ever political figures rules your country and you.

Well played, unless you count that your freedoms are reduced after the brexit.

On 8/3/2018 at 1:19 PM, dick dasterdly said:

And again, you misunderstand - as you similarly misunderstood why Yes Minister was so funny to brits.

"On top of this you have house of lords, who are unlected appointees by the Queen." 

No, the Queen has little power.  If I understand correctly, politicians appoint the undemocratic house of lords.  But I do agree that they are not elected and undemocratic.

"You also don't vote who is the head of your country, but believe that her family are somewhat better due their birthright. Silly stuff."

Re. the part I've emboldened, again no.  You may be able to find the odd individual that believes this to be the case (?), but even those that support the monarchy don't argue that "her family are somewhat better due their birthright?.

If I were you, I'd give up on your crusade to explain to brits. how you understand our country better than ourselves!

8 minutes ago, oilinki said:

So you want to be a subject to lords, dames, the queen and who ever political figures rules your country and you.

Well played, unless you count that your freedoms are reduced after the brexit.

I assume you somehow failed to read my post, repeated above?

• Like 2

DD

to the above you should add

that UK has an unelected PM, the PM is picked by some obscure persons in the Tory party

you also have a cabinet that is unelected, (which I find fully in order), the cabinet is picked

Edited by melvinmelvin

2 minutes ago, aright said:

You seem to feel you are qualified to know what I want better than I do.

I can tell you what I don't want...………………..an authoritarian Union governed by an avalanche of rules, orchestrated by faceless old men with no accountability, rigidly following a warped ideology who respond to arguments with threats all because the gravy train needs protection.   

Do you think you'll achieve all that by exiting the EU? Good luck with that.

4 minutes ago, aright said:

You seem to feel you are qualified to know what I want better than I do.

I can tell you what I don't want...………………..an authoritarian Union governed by an avalanche of rules, orchestrated by faceless old men with no accountability, rigidly following a warped ideology who respond to arguments with threats all because the gravy train needs protection.   

Is there any Union which is not like that?

4 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

DD

to the above you should add

that UK has an unelected PM, the PM is picked by some obscure persons in the Tory party

you also have a cabinet that is unelected, (which I find fully in order), the cabinet is picked

I have already explained the Tory system which you seem to willfully misunderstand.  The PM cannot become PM until she is firstly chosen by the political party, secondly elected by party members and thirdly elected by the people.

What's undemocratic about that?

As for the Cabinet they are elected MPs chosen by the PM. Makes sense they are members of the party responsible for government. What is your preferred method of choosing a Cabinet member ….an election to approve firing one and hiring another?

When was a member of the European Commission last fired? 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, aright said:

I voted to leave the EU for one reason only, for full political and economic independence.

That was not an option available to me staying inside the EU; so they are responsible for my Brexit vote.

Sounds like some Brexiteers voted hoping to get back their political virginity. :cheesy:

Just now, aright said:

I have already explained the Tory system which you seem to willfully misunderstand.  The PM cannot become PM until she is firstly chosen by the political party, secondly elected by party members and thirdly elected by the people.

What's undemocratic about that?

As for the Cabinet they are elected MPs chosen by the PM. Makes sense they are members of the party responsible for government. What is your preferred method of choosing a Cabinet member ….an election to approve firing one and hiring another?

When was a member of the European Commission last fired? 

PM is not elected by the people.