UK to warn public every week over 'no-deal Brexit': The Times

webfact

• Replies 675
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, tebee said:

Britain, a country that once shaped Europe, is stumbling out of the EU with some incongruence. Old Brussels hands invoke Vietnam war flicks to compare poor Theresa May to a bloated corpse floating down the Mekong river, flanked by Brexiteer ministers using her as cover from enemy fire.

there you go, pm tm useful as ever

24 minutes ago, aright said:

How absurdly pathetic and petty and pretentious

Without contributions by him and other members you would have nothing to talk about.

You should be ashamed

Fix the quotation and we never have to come back to this problem again.

I rather talk about the ideas than the form ideas were presented. That's why I don't want to see such mess again.

Btw that's also the way we Northern Europeans do things in everyday life. We keep our forms clear, so that we can concentrate to what really matters. This sometimes means that we have to tell some folks to follow the well established rules. 

4 minutes ago, aright said:

Sadly for some, it's much easier to create a desert than a forest.

Indeed. This is a good analogy of Brexit!

2 minutes ago, oilinki said:

Fix the quotation and we never have to come back to this problem again.

I rather talk about the ideas than the form ideas were presented. That's why I don't want to see such mess again.

Btw that's also the way we Northern Europeans do things in everyday life. We keep our forms clear, so that we can concentrate to what really matters. This sometimes means that we have to tell some folks to follow the well established rules. 

1 minute ago, oilinki said:

Indeed. This is a good analogy of Brexit!

Its now 4am in the bar and all I want to do is go home.

3 minutes ago, aright said:

Its now 4am in the bar and all I want to do is go home.

I understand you are exhausted. Let someone else take over your account. Have a nice sleep. Tomorrow is hopefully a brighter day for you.

Just now, oilinki said:

I understand you are exhausted. Let someone else take over your account. Have a nice sleep. Tomorrow is hopefully a brighter day for you.

Why is tomorrow your TV day off.

I have no problem with UK desiring to leave the EU. Wanting control over legislation and immigration.
Fine with me. Easy to understand.

However,
I do take issue when people refer to EU as corrupt and as unelected dickheads.
In my view, they are not.

I can not think of any political system in the world that is more open to the public than the EU.
It is so easy to influence the development of regulations that you can't believe it.

I stand corrected if wrong but the EU own financial accounts were only made transparent in 2007.

How long has the EU been operating prior to this, bearing in mind the UK has been a MS for 40+ yrs.

Anyway, the focus should be forward.

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, oilinki said:

UKers need more sisu,

maybe they will get that outside the EU

5 hours ago, aright said:

I voted to leave the EU for one reason only, for full political and economic independence.

That was not an option available to me staying inside the EU; so they are responsible for my Brexit vote.

Totally get that.  And how do you feel about it now?  To attain what you voted for we are left with the no deal option as May's Chequers deal leaves us closely aligned with the EU and subject to their rules.  Was a no deal scenario something that you willingly voted for or do you think that there is still a way to get your cake and eat it?

7 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

UKers need more sisu,

Exactly! Brexiters need to experience how vulnerable they are alone, then go forward, no matter what or how many people are sacrificed during this enrolment. Only after that they will understand the power of unified community. 

The whole brexit debate is to avoid all the suffering, but I guess the suffering is required for educational purpose. I'm happy my country is not part of this self destructive experiment. I'm also sad that some of my friends have been forced to be part of it. 

We'll see how this turns out. I guess after hard Brexit, UK will re-apply to become EU state, after few years. With less exemptions and privileges it had prior brexit. We'll see.

19 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

UKers need more sisu,

Over 17 million people showed SISU before the referendum when they voted to leave the EU. Not for us sucking the dummy harder or hugging the nurse tighter . 

43 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Sisu, had to look that up. Yes we need more as 52% sisu is not enough for some.  

I'm sorry, but sisu doesn't apply to the brexiters. It's the opposite force of the whiners, which you represent. 

17 minutes ago, oilinki said:

I'm sorry, but sisu doesn't apply to the brexiters. It's the opposite force of the whiners, which you represent. 

Here's some news, we won the referendum. The whining was started by the remoaners and hasn't stopped since.

1 hour ago, dunroaming said:

Totally get that.  And how do you feel about it now?  To attain what you voted for we are left with the no deal option as May's Chequers deal leaves us closely aligned with the EU and subject to their rules.  Was a no deal scenario something that you willingly voted for or do you think that there is still a way to get your cake and eat it?

The best question of the day. I have never been frightened of the walk away deal. It wasn't my preferred option when I voted but then I never ever felt a favorable or equitable deal was on the cards. The EU (Selmayr) want to give us a punishment beating.

I holiday in Europe every year and have nothing against it or its people. My argument is with the unelected unaccountable fat cats sitting atop the heap gorging on taxpayers funds showing open contempt for the European people especially those in the southern states. When was the last time you heard of the European Parliament amending or proposing new legislation? You haven't because they don't do it. 

As for the real fear being if we leave the EU , our planes would be grounded, mass shortages of food, no pharmaceuticals , civil disorder and unprecedented violence.....stuff and nonsense.

I accepted the walk away deal if it was the only way to leave and feel leaving will benefit the UK in the medium to long term but accept the waters will be choppier in the short term with a no deal scenario.

I find it hard to believe that with the UK being the largest European market for Germany's cars, France's wine , Ireland's general exports and Spain's vegetables there won't be some sort of accommodation. 

The pace should pick up when Parliament reconvenes in early September.

21 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Here's some news, we won the referendum. The whining was started by the remoaners and hasn't stopped since.

You indeed did just that, with a bit of help from foreign powers. If you would be really content of your victory, you would be eager to show your power and support the 2nd referendum, which is at this point really needed to unify the country again.

Are you fine with 2nd referendum or are you afraid that you might loose it?

Having sisu, means that you have real internal power, not just one time fluke. 

13 minutes ago, oilinki said:

I bet you wish you had sisu instead of paha sisu

Malice combined with rudeness and relentlessness.

32 minutes ago, aright said:

The best question of the day. I have never been frightened of the walk away deal. It wasn't my preferred option when I voted but then I never ever felt a favorable or equitable deal was on the cards. The EU (Selmayr) want to give us a punishment beating.

So far EU has seen UK as confused adolescent child and therefore EU has been rather lenient with UK. As the Brexit date comes closer, I think this lenient attitude is about to change. 

UK was supposed to pluck off it's baby feathers and become a man of it's own during the 2 years brexit period. It didn't happen. 

Nobody likes a needy child who doesn't know how to behave along with the adults. 

Bye, bye baby.

6 minutes ago, aright said:

I bet you wish you had sisu instead of paha sisu

Malice combined with rudeness and relentlessness.

Cute! 

Part of the sisu is to have strength to say what has to be said agains destructive forces.

Keep on learning, you'll just might find your inner balance with the environment you are living in during the process. 

3 hours ago, vogie said:

If you can't respect other members, it's better you don't post, you are constantly belittling the UK, and as much as you would like to say what you like, you cannot as we are constantly being monitored. This is my last post to you.

Can I join your club?

2 hours ago, nauseus said:

Sisu, had to look that up. Yes we need more as 52% sisu is not enough for some.  

The issue is that whenever you have 52% or so in a referendum - on an idea you have 52% that voted for something... but not necessarily the same something.  I seem to remember the exit polls showing some voted for hard brexit, some voted for a fantasy put forward of things like Free Trade plus plus plus etc.    No matter what the final proposal there will be a large part of the electorate that will say that is not what they voted for...   That brings it back to a second vote - with multiple options.  1 being hard brexit, 1 being status quo with the EU and the third option being the whatever trade arrangement thing that eventually comes from your negotiating team (though I would not actually announce it now, only after the final text is worked out).  The vote would be to select your favourite option and if that is eliminated what is your second favourite option (in the end getting to the choice between two items).   I don't know what the outcome would be, but I am guessing the negotiated option will be the first option eliminated....

2 hours ago, oilinki said:

You indeed did just that, with a bit of help from foreign powers. If you would be really content of your victory, you would be eager to show your power and support the 2nd referendum, which is at this point really needed to unify the country again.

Are you fine with 2nd referendum or are you afraid that you might loose it?

Foreign powers or Austin Powers?? Yeah Baby! I am content with the victory.  Power to the people.

A second referendum would discredit British democracy forever. Not a good idea. No, not afraid, if we lost we would need a third and if it came to that we would win overwhelmingly. One time was all that was given in 43 years - and we won.

Sisu = Brexit as far as I am concerned.  

I'm off for a  lap dance.

52 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

The issue is that whenever you have 52% or so in a referendum - on an idea you have 52% that voted for something... but not necessarily the same something.  I seem to remember the exit polls showing some voted for hard brexit, some voted for a fantasy put forward of things like Free Trade plus plus plus etc.    No matter what the final proposal there will be a large part of the electorate that will say that is not what they voted for...   That brings it back to a second vote - with multiple options.  1 being hard brexit, 1 being status quo with the EU and the third option being the whatever trade arrangement thing that eventually comes from your negotiating team (though I would not actually announce it now, only after the final text is worked out).  The vote would be to select your favourite option and if that is eliminated what is your second favourite option (in the end getting to the choice between two items).   I don't know what the outcome would be, but I am guessing the negotiated option will be the first option eliminated....

Funny, I don't remember these multiple choice exit polls at all.

Archived