Is Thailand a bad idea?

Boy Wonder

1 minute ago, KarminLine said:

No its all included dude. Aircon, everything. Actually you don't even need aircon. I prefer a fan. It's only aircon hot in december-march.

$360 for everything.

that is a good deal......electric can be double or quadruple the thai rates are, in Cambodia...if I had trouble with a visa in LOS, I might be your neighbor.....but the smoke seems to be comparable to the bottom quartile of the much hated mexican....

5 hours ago, Boy Wonder said:

Thanks again to everyone that has responded with their point of view, I find all of it very helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to chime in with both the negatives and the positives.

Going to respond to a few comments together.

Hi Wonderboy, you have so many choices, and I am wondering why your neighbouring destinations as Costa Rica is not an option? Many silicon valley I know of just moved there for cheep living, and the possibillity for having a better life. 

I can tell you Thailand is exotic, but if you get tired in California, you will deffinity get tired here as well. 

Do you do any sports? What kind of social activities do you do?

However Pattaya have a great nightlife and a varity of different people, and a huge mix of food and restaurants as well. If beach life is not your style, it could be a good place, if you can behave and have good daily routines. It is also quite a few afro american and euro african living there. Solely basing your social contacts with thai or grumphy old men from Thai visa is not recomended ?

Around the different Islands there is quite a few rasta bars, one in Hua Hin, never seen any in Pattaya but Im sure there is, if that is important to you, but the Bob Marley bars getting boring after numbers of flame show, and the same music on reply for weeks. 

Not to forget

Those who is based here under 50 is, either here for health problems, running away from something, International employment in the bigger cities, or of investments reasons (very few) 

Health Insurance for one at your age should be around 35 000,- baht and up to around 60 000,- a year. Do not think you do not need one, because you will.

6 hours ago, KarminLine said:

I thought you can only stay one month then have to fly out every 30 days or do a border crossing every 15 and you are limited to doing it 4 times.

No, there are loads of different visa's, he could get an elite one and stay 5 years without a problem.

No its all included dude. Aircon, everything. Actually you don't even need aircon. I prefer a fan. It's only aircon hot in december-march.

$360 for everything.

Internet has not failed for 3 months straight. Streams HD youtube always no problem. Even when I am using torrents no problem. Is superfast and super reliable.

ELectricity outages - Have had 6 in 3 months, lasted average 15 minutes max.

What are you on about? it is way hotter in April and May.

Dude, what you are looking for is in Siem Reap, Cambodia. Or anywhere in Cambodia. You can get 6 month 'Extended Holiday" visas back-to-back for $280US each time. EASY. Just ask for an ORDINARY VISA ($35US) when you enter not a TOURIST VISA ($30). Because you can't extend the Tourist Visa but you can extend the Ordinary Visa before the end of the 30 days. Its VISA ON ARRIVAL. No hassles. Thailand, with their immigration hassles, is a waste of time. They don't deserve your money with all the hassle they put Digital Nomads through they just don't get it, so they can just go F themselves and now everybody is coming to Cambodia. Plus Cambodia is cheaper. I live in a resort with 25 meter swimming pool, cleaners every day, large LCD to hook up my laptop, tropical garden surrounding my apartment which is seperate from the others, like bungalow. No noice, quiet all the time, total peace but a nice bar with the tourist girls who come past. So many places in Cambodia. Cambodia is booming. The Thai huggers here won't tell you the truth. The Immigration/Tourism Minister of Thailand has destroyed Thailand. It's CAMBODIA now. Come to Cambodia.

Cambodia is for poor people who can't afford Thailand.

• Haha 1

If you get sick bad, there is international hospital next to the airport they fly you out straight to bangkok is only 40 minutes to get to bangkok in their emergency medical plane. So you might want insurance for that. I have not checked that out because I am immortal.

Only 40 minutes with a plane to get into Bangkok? You are seriously feeding this guy al sorts of BS. There are loads of hospitals in Bangkok no need for a plane.

Have you ever been here for real?

Based upon the  gentleman's  syntax and   statements, it seems that he has a pretty good grasp of reality and can adapt to a changing environment. He will do fine wherever he is. Let him try Thailand for a few months. He will go through the highs and lows and then leave and try somewhere where he will be more comfortable.

If he is in IT he needs a fast internet connection and one that is not subject to  supervision and censorship. He won't have that in Thailand or Cuba, or Cambodia. He can have it in Panama and Costa Rica and Canada. OP might find Canada more to his liking just as over 1 million US nationals have.

Nice online income. You run Shopify, affiliate, or leadpages type biz?

We divide our time between Melbourne and Thailand - kids, so education wise, we're back n Oz 10 months of the year.

As a single guy with nice cashflow, 3-6 months here is workable. Not sure what you're in to, but intellectually, you'll be bored out of your wits here in about 2 weeks. Most Thais have no idea what's happening in the world, and won't be able to engage in many topics. If you're interested in tech entrepreneurship for example, I highly doubt you'll find someone to discuss it with in detail.

If you keep it simple, don't expect too much, you can chill at some of the popular tourist palces - bkk, samui, etc. I would recommend staying away from the bar girls, chance of losing serious $ and gaining HIV/Syphilis not worth it. 

I was here for 6 months in 2007, went to Koh Tao, did my PADI Divemaster and Instructor, taught for a few months. It was great, fun place when single. If you have an interest and something to do, it's fine for 3-6 months. More than that, lots of the little annoyances start to eat away at you.

So a question for the op, what do you need for work and a good life? Maybe you need to sort that out, and if you make a list, maybe we can help you better to make your choice if possible to live here or not. 

11 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Nope. In respect to measurements such as education and wealth, Thailand is not a target destination. These are the people who put a value on country specifics such as;

- Personal safety

- Access to  quality healthcare in a timely manner

- Ease of immigration requirements.

- Travel convenience

Believe it or not, the south of France, Spain, Portugal and even the USA remain the preferred destinations of the high end demographic from Russia, and South America.The wealthy Chinese prefer the UK, Australia, Canada  the USA over Thailand. That is because that is where they have sent their younger family members.

The OP is young and is in IT related work. A very different demographic and one that will tolerate poor quality medical care, corruption and high personal risk. These older people I reference want safety and certainty. A country given to military coups, mass riots and  poor infrastructure doesn't provide that.  If you believe that a higher end retiree is going to put down 20 million baht  on a home and accept that the  wiring is deficient and that the construction quality is  poor, you are mistaken.

There are very few westerners retired in Thailand with multimillion dollar/Euro liquidity. If they are here, it is because they have had long standing ties, dating back decades. Why would anyone put up with the visa nonsense, or  want to deal with a backward infrastructure?  Sorry to say, Thailand is usually the option for those who cannot do better. Some people do live within their means.

That was a very long qualification of your earlier post!

Thank you for pointing out that I don't exist here! Bye the way I own a substantial property portfolio in the UK including a penthouse apt. built for our occupation, and can build / buy anything else I choose should I wish "to do better", which I currently don't.

15 hours ago, shaurene said:

Well, you surprise me. Young guy like you. Thailand is not an easy country to live in. Far to many rules ect for foreigners. You would have a great deal of trouble living there regarding visas. There really is no way for you to legally live there. The police and  imagination will not leave you in peace, you will need to expect to give a lot of money for them to leave you alone. You would be far better to live in Vietnam or Cambodia, 

more freedom and cheaper. 

I would seriously forget Thailand Man.

Ignore the naysayers on this forum.  Many don't live here nor have been here..That applies especially to Pattaya.  If you want fun, adventure.  girls  food of then world Then come here..If you are a snob millionaire, which i suspect you are not then travel to the USA or Bhutan. This is a safe fun country with extraordinary cultural depth.  But some of the white westerners who visit have a loud illl imformed presence on This forum. Ignore them. They are softies, liars, feminists and right wing Christians and parochial Australians. We call them the Thai haters and Thai 

bashers.

Edited by The manic

16 hours ago, hitext said:

Selling on Amazon, blogging, selling digital courses, doing SEO consultancy, affiliate marketing, running Shopify stores, and a whole lot more. As a online marketer myself, I have dozens of friends in Thailand who make a good to outstanding living online. 

There are many options - just talk to members of the thriving digital nomad community in Chiang Mai. This is a great time to start a new life in Thailand!

What is this digital nomad community in Chiang Mai? Where to find them.

We also run Shopify stores, and a few other things. We're in Chiang Mai at the moment, for another few weeks, before heading back home to Melbourne.

Would be great to hook up with a few like-minded online marketers and share info!

23 minutes ago, The manic said:

Ignore the naysayers on this forum.  Many don't live here nor have been here..That applies especially to Pattaya.  If you want fun, adventure.  girls  food of then world Then come here..If you are a snob millionaire, which i suspect you are not then travel to the USA or Bhutan. This is a safe fun country with extraordinary cultural depth.  But some of the white westerners who visit have a loud illl imformed presence on This forum. Ignore them. They are softies, liars, feminists and right wing Christians and parochial Australians. We call them the Thai haters and Thai 

bashers.

I guess you live in reality, so you see som shit to right? Letting people believe this is heaven, would not do the firsttimers any good. Give them all the shit and possibillities of deleted ups, and they know what to expect, and not think they come to Disney World! 

Life can be good here, but you have to suck it up every day, unless you live in a denaying state of life. 

"You take the blue pill—the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill—you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember: all I'm offering is the truth. Nothing more."

Matrix

1 minute ago, The manic said:

Of all the 60 countries I have lived and worked in Thailand is the most fun. Only idiots and losers have a hard time here. They try to dominate this forum.  They are often small minded, parochial people with Low IQ and little life or travel experience and thus lack ability to enjoy Thailand. Post man Pat from Perth living in a village in Issan supporting a child that is not his...

Wow, quite a bit of hate in this post about people who discuss issues about Thailand. When it comes to human rights, or lack of it, and peoples life and society, it is easy for one with money to have fun, and exploit everything he thinks is goodies for him or her for that sake. 

There is surten quite a bit to get frustrated by, and adopt to, but as you say it is a heaven if you put the blind eye to it. 

However even some of us see and think and discuss surten issues, it doesnt mean we let that ruin our lifes here. A healthy debate is always welcome about thailand, and also good for newbies to know about. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hummin said:

Wow, quite a bit of hate in this post about people who discuss issues about Thailand. When it comes to human rights, or lack of it, and peoples life and society, it is easy for one with money to have fun, and exploit everything he thinks is goodies for him or her for that sake. 

There is surten quite a bit to get frustrated by, and adopt to, but as you say it is a heaven if you put the blind eye to it. 

However even some of us see and think and discuss surten issues, it doesnt mean we let that ruin our lifes here. A healthy debate is always welcome about thailand, and also good for newbies to know about. 

Well the OP asked for opinions and he certainly go them.

11 minutes ago, The manic said:

Well the OP asked for opinions and he certainly go them.

Sometimes I think it is well made posts by newbies for our behalf to have something to discuss. Two last newcomers is tattoed, with different issues ? 

On 7/22/2018 at 7:33 PM, AsiaHand said:

Go to Cambodia first then the Philippines,then Thailand. You will like the crazy times in Cambodia but be glad that you left for the Philippines with all the cheap beer and young girls that you can handle while you are learning how to protect yourself from armed robbers and the worlds best pickpockets.You will then go to "The Land Of Smiles" . A land that caters to the interest and whelms  that can please everyone from families ,backpackers,and the single seeking all the pleasures of life, while meeting some of the most friendliest people in the world..You will now learn that this is the place that you will now live or  will always come back to . Enjoy my friend when you arrive and pleasant stay.,,,,DJ

Well said. Thailand for all its faults is more fun than other places 

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 10:13 PM, Time Traveller said:

I have to laugh whenever anyone says they are bored in America, and need to justify a way to come to Thailand.

Because there's like at least 10,000 things you can do in America, that you can't in Thailand.  

Having enough money is the key in America, it's the novelty of living in Thailand that's appealing and lower cost of day to day living.

Paradise is an individual opinion and depends on your wants and needs. You can live cheap here but you can also end up spending more than in your home country depending on your lifestyle. Political correctness does not really exist here and a black person will get more attention from the police than a white person so always make sure your up to date on all your immigration papers and keep copies with you. As a foreigner your early experiences here will include many trying to overcharge you for services (taxi, tuk tuk, etc.) as they will see you as a tourist (aka walking atm) but the longer you are here the less that will be a problem. Learn the language and life is easier. You will find that despite Thai tourism adds English is not all that common outside of tourist areas and even in tourist areas it is not spoken or understood well.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

Paradise is an individual opinion and depends on your wants and needs. You can live cheap here but you can also end up spending more than in your home country depending on your lifestyle. Political correctness does not really exist here and a black person will get more attention from the police than a white person so always make sure your up to date on all your immigration papers and keep copies with you. As a foreigner your early experiences here will include many trying to overcharge you for services (taxi, tuk tuk, etc.) as they will see you as a tourist (aka walking atm) but the longer you are here the less that will be a problem. Learn the language and life is easier. You will find that despite Thai tourism adds English is not all that common outside of tourist areas and even in tourist areas it is not spoken or understood well.

The Finish guy comes to mind! Never bring police to your door because lack of id paper, let them search your room, and have illigal substances stored in your room! 

On 7/23/2018 at 1:43 AM, KarminLine said:

$360 for everything.

Internet has not failed for 3 months straight. Streams HD youtube always no problem. Even when I am using torrents no problem. Is superfast and super reliable.

ELectricity outages - Have had 6 in 3 months, lasted average 15 minutes max.

be careful what you promote.    long time ago i told someone how nice chiangmai was....NOW LOOK AT IT !

well, of course some expats gonna tell you its so great,   but not what i was looking for 30 years ago, before

they all came.   Maybe they'll all move to your neck of the woods ( sounds pretty good)

• Like 1

On 7/23/2018 at 10:07 AM, BuckleUp said:

Sounds like you found PARADISE in Cambodia.

I'd keep it on he low down if I was you.

Do you really want 100,000 westerners all heading over there, creating the same problems as Thailand?

Just like Leonardo DiCaprio in The Beach, if you talk about it they will come and destroy it. 

hahahah    just what i just posted !!     guess we think alike (on that count, anyway) ?

46 minutes ago, simon43 said:

To give additional confirmation that earning these types of salaries is/was possible - in the late 90's I had a 'one-man-band' online business writing SMS text-messaging application software and operating these services on many mobile networks in the UK, mainland Europe, Australia and the USA.

Typical monthly income for me was about $60,000 USD, some months as much as $150,000.  My automated software needed minimal management - it was a money-making machine and I sold out for more than $2 million.

Quite how I went from being a millionaire to being a teacher in Myanmar is another story LoL!

A story that you already published everywhere you could.