Is Thailand a bad idea?

Boy Wonder

some may be kind on the surface but the reality is you will always be a complete alien. i have to be honest, any girl i was with found black people disgusting behind closed doors but would be nice in person because that is the culture here.  if your trying to live here on tourist visas for any decent length of time i can guarantee you will have problems. lots of filipino girls love black guys and if you do it right you can actually live there as a tourist for long periods without leaving.

Edited by at15

2 hours ago, Maradona 10 said:

'I make $100k USD working online,''

Course you do.

If he’s a software developer than that’s underpaid (although that could be due to gaps between freelance gigs).

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

Yeah, I did. And, I pity people like you who just cannot imagine someone can actually earn good money

Hahahaha..so because I've exposed you as a fraud, I need pity?? Hahahahaha. I know plenty of people who make a lot of money, but guess what, they don't brag about it on an internet forum to strangers. It's called having some class.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Time Traveller said:

I have to laugh whenever anyone says they are bored in America, and need to justify a way to come to Thailand.

Because there's like a 10,000 things you can do in America, that you can't in Thailand.  

Exactly right, even if you are being sarcastic. It's absolutely bonkers, bored in America so emigrate to Thailand to walk around shopping malls and sweat every day.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smotherb said:

You have what? How is it you exposed me as fraud? You have no idea what I did or what I made. You are once again running your mouth without knowledge. I was not bragging, I was stating a fact that showed your comment to be uninformed and what, jealous? 

Yea really jealous of a no mark on thai visa...the fact that you think someone would be jealous of you really says it all about you. Deluded doesn't even come close.

Now haven't you got some sticky rice and somtan to be eating?

Just now, Maradona 10 said:

Yea really jealous of a no mark on thai visa...the fact that you think someone would be jealous of you really says it all about you. Deluded doesn't even come close.

Now haven't you got some sticky rice and somtan to be eating?

Jesus, are you dense. Jealous of anyone making $100k or more. So since I did, yes; or would just envious be the word? No, I finished breakfast, I had English muffins, cream cheese, back bacon and eggs; with tomato juice and coffee, black of course. Or, is that bragging too?

I don't know about the racism thing, Thais to me seem quite tolerant. The OP is probably aware Tiger Woods is the product of an African-American/Thai union. He is a god to Thai golfers, and a lot of Westerners.

A couple of suggestions: Come to Thailand and the Philippines first for a month each. See which suits you best.

Vietnam is worth a look also.

I would recommend building up your assets to be generating income while you sleep. Leave 80% of said assets in a safe haven. Make sure you have adequate health insurance.

Thailand is not a bad idea. I would not be here if it was. You do, however, have to research it thoroughly before committing to it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Jesus, are you dense. Jealous of anyone making $100k or more. So since I did, yes; or would just envious be the word? No, I finished breakfast, I had English muffins, cream cheese, back bacon and eggs; with tomato juice and coffee, black of course. Or, is that bragging too?

Wow! Well now I am really am jealous, living the dream eh. Don't go spending all that money at once..hahahahaha!

• Haha 1

The OP also stated he is in the San Jose area.  We call it Man Jose...the tech world is still dominated by males, and yes it is a well paid sector...although COL is just plain stupid around there, but not as stupid as the guys making 100K++ to go to sausage parties and haven't got lucky since college.  A single girl could walk in a bar there, and a dozen men would start acting like idiots to get her attention, whle she does a nice tease act.  The same woman here wouldn't even get a expat pensioner to take a swallow off his beer...that is how dramatically different the places are for female companionship.  DC is a lot better than SJ for that, but still the utmost material world where people are judged by what sleezy government contractor they work for..not their intelligence or personality.  

I can also name fifty cities where it aint that great being white, and you can't say that there isn't a lot of racism in the black communities in the US...but they are their own worst enemies.  Crime rates, test scores, property values...is there anything we are suppose to respect about that?

8 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

If you really are earning that kind of money, you might want to consider the elite visa -- plenty of info on this board.

Briefly, some of the little things that will make a difference to how you enjoy your time here are: be clean and tidy at all times (no smells); be sanuk (fun), but not in a condescending way; develop a sixth sense for scams (in other words, learn to be ultra-cautious and know how to politely brush off scammers and pests); learn the things that Thais regard as important (you don't have to go "native", just be respectful at the right time); learn to be very patient and develop your sense of tolerance (very important); once you decide to stay, pick up a bit of conversational Thai. Finally, leave the women alone (I jest -- this advice was getting boring).

As a black man, you will encounter some racism, but it's not as bad as many make out -- but it is also up to you to set the tone. Especially, try not to dominate everything, as Americans, black Americans notably, tend to do. As an American, you'll be much more appreciated if you don't act the brash, know-it-all yank - be low-key, charming and respectful like many of my American colleagues who are very successful here.

Good luck.

all in all a spot on post !   just one edit from me, if i might:   i haven't met any black americans here, but have met many white americans that act as you say.   so a black american acting that way would not be notable......just another one that fits that stereotype.   And yes, of course not all americans are like that.

I like to think that i am a notable exception !  Note:   it did take me some time to adjust....MY behavior 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MarkmBha said:

I first came to Thailand from Canada when I was 23.

Had a great time, with few problems -

I loved Thailand so much, I moved here and, 34 years

later, still love this country.

can you speak thai ?

15 hours ago, KarminLine said:

The highest number of fatalities and missing-persons of Australians in the world is in Thailand.

So if you were Australian, would sound like a bad idea, statistically.

He is from the USA, read properly before you make a silly statement.

14 hours ago, jackdd said:

You should just give at a try for a few months, then you know how it is, all the reading won't help you

Two things you didn't mention, so maybe you just don't know it yet:

For Thai people white skin is beautiful, black skin is ugly. Most girls (normal girls, a hooker probably won't care too much) won't be interested in you just because of your skin color.

Most black people you meet here in Thailand come from Africa and are either working as drug dealers or pimps. Before i came to Thailand i didn't judge anybody by skin color. Here in Thailand i definitely do this, because for most black people i encounter here it's just true. Immigration Police, or police in general, are of course also aware of this, so you can expect to be treated accordingly.

He is earning enough money to live in a good neighborhood, where he will be appreciated. Yes, you can't win them all but compared to the USA he will be fine.

3 minutes ago, moontang said:

yes, just be the soft spoken, humble british gentleman, who tells the greatest innovator of the century to stick it up his arse.

does anybody know what this guy is talking about ?

5 minutes ago, billybadcund said:

"I just stumbled across a thread titled "Leaving Thailand after 13 years" and it seems that Thailand may not be the paradise one would hope "

Is there a paradise where happiness is sustainable for 13 years ? Those guys will be telling their friends in another13 years that the UK or USA or wherever is horrible and they are looking to get out again. As mentioned many times already, wherever you go...there you are!

holy sheet !  first post or just change of name?    welcome to the monkey house

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

BW:  I am a US citizen who moved to Thailand in 2004 and have never returned to the US.  It was the great escape for me.  Prior to moving here, I spent five years traveling/living in Bermuda, the Caribbean (8 islands), Mexico, and Central/South America.  At that time, it was important to be able to hop on a plane and be back to the US in a couple of hours.  I suggest you do the same by visiting many nearby islands and countries.  After that, make a list of your priorities and compare them to other places.  You might even find that paradise is closer to home.  Thailand has offered me a very relaxed lifestyle near the beach, available women, healthier environment, and all for 75% less than what I had in the US!  I wanted to get as far away from the US as possible, even though I was grateful for the education and career that it provided.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Proboscis said:

Three points:

- just because you find your place in the USA boring does not mean that you will find Thailand interesting or comfortable. Think outside the box. Read what other people say about Thais and black people in Thailand. This is not to say that black people cannot get along there but you would have to work extra hard with the language in order to make it worketc. You would also have to get around the visa situation - in short, if you don't work legally with all the documentation, you cannot stay longer than a few months per year unless you are over 50 in which case you can retire. You might not want to be an English teacher because what you are qualified for is not open to foreigners in Thailand.

- I don't know what your profession/business is but all the folks who I have met over the years who make their living online, invariably there comes a time when that falls off the edge due to reasons outside their own control. Wherever you go in the world, a job puts you in touch with others. Otherwise all you end up meeting are the types that the tourists meet in bars etc and appart from the rip offs, you don't get to meet real people. I am not suggesting that you give up your current comfortable $100K a year but I am suggesting that you take a look at your qualifications and skill set and ask yourself if you are going to be somewhere else, would you be in demand as an economic unit if your current business went down? If the answer is no, then consider getting a qualification that would put you in demand. Many choose English teaching qualification but there are many other things you could do.

- If you have a business that will travel with you, why not travel anyway. You don't have to be stuck in one country. All you need is a good Internet connection - and most places have a good one. Even in African countries, I was able to get a good mobile data connection even though it cost me $150 per month. Depending on how adventurous you are, I would take a look at South Africa, Botswana and even Zimbabwe (I was in Zimbabwe before Mugabwe was deposed and while it was economically depressed, it was potentially a great country - with $100k a year, you could go a long way - now the country is on the way up). If you speak French, there is Senegal and the other French-speaking parts of Africa. But even in Asia, you can look at other countries. Cambodia might be more forgiving about the colour of your skin than Thailand although perhaps you should consider waiting until the election is long over as that could be a bumpy ride. I am not trying to tell you where to go but just to open your mind a little.

And don't forget to buy worldwide health insurance (not just travel insurance). You will find that if you cover youself for everywhere except USA and Canada, it will be much cheaper.

Good luck.

There is a non PC culture that could be construed as racism. People 'black up' here. But it's not a hate think. The Darlie toothpastes used to be called 'Darkie'

Check out these videos Both show blacked up Thais.

You might experience innocent casual rascism but not hate. There is lots of black modern music on TV

3 hours ago, smotherb said:

I worked online in the 90's I made over $100k. I am sure it is not impossible to do so now. So, why be so negative?

True, I work online and make much more...

Edited by khunpa
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Maradona 10 said:

'I make $100k USD working online,''

Course you do.

Has anyone mentioned that working on line might be 'doing a Thai out of a job' and is therefore illegal for foreigners, unless of course, you have a work permit?

Based on how you described yourself, you are going to get harassed for the rest of your life by immigration if you try to live here. Better not make the mistake in advance and look into countries that actually want foreigners to live in their country. Thailand is a tourist country, come for 2 weeks, spend your money then LEAVE. That's they way they like it and why they love the Chinese tourists so much right now because that's what they do.