Any recent experience of tourist visa from Saigon?

I did it last August and was easy but they have since added a new requirement on proof of accommodation for half of your stay (so at least 30 days of hotel bookings)

I'm not booking anything in advance as I never do and have do not have fixed plans to know exactly where I'll be.  Crazy that they expect someone on holiday to restrict themselves to this extent.  How difficult do they want to make visiting a country?

http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/7442/80804-For-Non-Vietnamese-passport-holder-%7C-D%C3%A0nh-cho-ng%C6%B0%E1%BB%9D.html

• Accomodation / Place of stay 
    **Copy of confirmed hotel reservation
    - Proof of accommodation to stay covering at least half of the trip with complete information.
    - Hotel reservation must start from the date of arrival into Thailand.
    - The name of the person (including family members with children or accompanying person names) applying for visa must appear on the hotel reservation.
    **For applicants staying with friends/family members with accommodation in Thailand, please provide the following documents:
    -  If the person you are staying with is a Thai Nationality, please provide a copy of his/her Thai Identity card and copy of Thai house registration
    -  If the person you are staying with is a foreigner living in Thailand, please provide a copy of passport, copy of Thai work permit, copy of accommodation ownership documents or rental agreement

Interestingly, on the Saigon embassy site, the old page is still there and accessible directly through a google search.  The old page does not have the accommodation requirement, so I'm wondering if i can get round it by telling them I never saw the new page.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/hochiminh/en/services/33685-Tourist-Visa.html

Has anyone managed to get a tourist visa here recently without providing accommodation evidence?

Thanks

• Like 1

I don't want to book a hotel for 30 days.  

The place I usually stay is an apartment but it's generally Thai residents and the staff do not speak English.  There is no web site and no online booking and if I email them there is no chance they will understand or offer me some sort of booking receipt.  It is cash in hand on arrival.

I think I'll just go in on an exempt and extend.  They're making it unnecessarily difficult.

Imagine a tourist who wants to do 60 days and in the first 30 days plans to do 4 nights Bangkok. 4 nights pattaya, 2 nights back in Bangkok, 5 nights in Chiang Mai, 5 nights in Phuket, 5 nights in samui, 3 nights on pha ngan and 2 on ko Tao.  <deleted> THAT 

Edited by randymarsh

If you have anynopportunity (in time) just go to the embassy in Hanoi, which is a lot easier to deal with.

The consulary agency in Saigon often has "temporary young staff in educational progress". To deal with such 20-ish aged Thai might heavely sucks (usually flighing very high in their arrogant thai-ness!!!)...

8 months ago I got a visa "void" on this way, despite all paperwork perfect, showed cash and I was very friendly as always I am! Since heard many similar stories - always because of such stuff there!

Hanoi is relaxed, friendly, no problems ever.

Regards.

I did it in Saigon last year as I mentioned with no problems and my passport was completely full of thai visas - only had about 5 blank pages left.  I'm not worried about the service there, I'm just wondering about this new requirement and whether I can get away without it, considering there are 2 separate pages on the site stating different things and it is not obvious which page is the more recent.

5 hours ago, BritTim said:

What relevance does showing cash have to do with applying for a tourist visa in Ho Chi Minh City?

One requirement to get a TR visa is the proof to have at least 20'000 thb (new bank statement or equivalent cash in any currency). Is that really new to you???

2 hours ago, mindfulness said:

... hey you can book a hotel without paying. Just print out the booking you made. 

Not in Saigon! They only accept proofed payed bookings (of hotels and flights back out of Los).

Edited by German farang
Grammer

7 hours ago, German farang said:

One requirement to get a TR visa is the proof to have at least 20'000 thb (new bank statement or equivalent cash in any currency). Is that really new to you???

You misunderstand the requirement. They need evidence for their files that you have funds. That is why they require a bank statement copy. You are not the first person who has misunderstood the requirement, and believed you could simply show cash.

It really is frustrating that you need a bank statement for the consulate, and cash when entering at the airport, but those are the rules.