Deported from thailand

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Any passenger coming into Australia should know steroids are illegal in Australia. They also should know it is a crime to make a false declaration. Both are there in black and white on the incoming passenger card.

I do believe it is the very first question that you are asked on the Incoming Passenger Card!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

No one really seems to know for sure, the one or two people that claim to know the ins-and-outs of the passport linking system based on experience in other countries admit they can't explain many of instances and stories shared here or even their own experiencing passing through immigration - the reverting to manual nung,song, sam counting and paper flipping with this automatic linking system etc.. or how some people manage back to back tourist and exemptions for dozens of years without a single iota of questioning, and others don't..  It seems pretty random at best. 

One thing I do notice is the immigration officers in the premium lane queues seems to move people along with much less hassle. You can fly from Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok with Malaysian AIrlines or Thai in business class on many afternoons for 6000-7000baht one way, which will give you a premium pass - they hand them out on the plane when passing around arrival cards, if this doesnt work this has the added benefit if they do deport you they probably will just return you to Kuala Lumpur, although I'm not sure what your option would be at that point.  

Maybe better to try and get the record expunged in Australia

The answer to the OP's question is that there is a high degree of probability that Thai Immigration would be able to match his identity under another nationality with his Australian passport, particularly if he has the same or similar names in both. In addition there is also face recognition software which might be able to match the photographs, if they have it. I am sure the system in Thailand is not 100% foolproof, so he can give it a try, if he wants to invest in another air fare.  I recall a Brit who committed a criminal offence in the UK years ago and jumped bail. He fled to Australia and became a naturalized Aussie and changed his name and surname.  He was able to visit the UK with that passport and wasn't picked up but that would probably not be possible today with current technology.  

13 hours ago, micks88 said:

i also have dual citizenship, am i allowed to use that other passport to try and fly back to thailand in the near future or will they know? thank everyone

Nothing wrong with trying to be sure of it.

Although it is sad for anyone to get deported without even being allowed into the country, the fact that Thailand is getting more efficient on banning foreigners with criminal records seems positive for Thais and law abiding foreign residents.  Reading certain websites, one gets the impression that places like Pattaya and Samui are populated almost entirely with foreign criminals on the run from their home country authorities but welcomed as VIPs by local constabulary with their ever oustretched palms and free to pursue their criminal careers in Thailand.

• Like 2

• I would like to see the Thai stamps in your passport first.
  • Surprised that the Oz end allowed you to board.
  • Without more info on your past crimes difficult to advise.
  • The Oz Federal Police are alive & very active here with the RTP but in a quiet way 7 long may it continue

On the dual citizenship issue there are posts in other threads where look krung (half-Thais) living abroad had entered Thailand on a foreign passport and then sorted out a Thai passport while in the country, which they tried to use to leave Thailand after overstaying on the foreign passport.  On more than one occasion Thai Immigration was able to make the match with the foreign passport used for entry, despite them having completely different names in their Thai passports, and forced them to pay the overstay fines on the grounds that they had chosen to enter as foreigners and had to close the loop with their foreign passports.  (This is a position one could probably argue in court but when you've got a plane to catch, it's easier just to pay up and go.)  On the other hand, others have posted they left the country on a new Thai passport with a different name from the foreign passport they entered on and were not picked up for overstaying. I think it is very likely that Immigration would be able to detect a blacklisted person using another person, if they can pick up overstayers with different names like this.  With the same name in both passports, I would guess the chance of a black listed person being detected would be excess of 90%.

12 hours ago, AdamTheFarang said:

You did not mention what you went to prison for and for how long? There is a massive difference. Surprised that Australia are allowed to share your data with another country without your consent? I don't think the UK can unless they are asked. Is there more to this story did they ask you and then the Aussies sent the details.

He didn't mention going to prison. 

OP,champ , unlike all other experts on here I am only guessing . But I do not think Oz police contacted thai immigration . Most likely scenario is that when you were arrested, oz police either tracked where shipments came from or tried to source it and your name ended up in Thai books. It is also a possibility of joint operations to track down gear imports and since you were already in the system you got done.

other passport may work but all depends if oz police have it on record and if they shared it with Thai police .

land border in my opinion would be less risky with new passport , worst case they turn you back.  

Good luck

• Like 1

thanks everyone for their comments , i guess i will have to forget Thailand for a while, i don't want to make it worse as it is,  there are other beautiful south east Asian countries to visit, are there any other similar places like pattaya in south east asia? Thanks

Because of your criminal record, you are now blacklisted from entering Thailand. If you have a second passport, it is most propably linked to any old matches. 

I have recently experienced that if you are blacklisted for reason of overstaying a visa (I have no criminal record), the airplane company will not even let you board the flight from your own country, as all flights are requiered to give thai immigration details of every one boarding. Not even a slight name change or new passport will go through the system. I had no idea the linking was that thorough, me trying to reunite with my wife after doing 2 years of my ban for 3 years. I didn't even get to Bangkok in my case.

So anyone thinking there is a shortcut, think again. I must spend another year outside the country any how I do it.

I can apply to have my ban lifted, with wife and kid as a reason, but this I believe is a long and expensive process through a lawyer. But I will give it a try, as I am afraid I will be losing my wife the next year because of the long time of not seeing each other.

In your case you don't have an overstay ban, but I believe you are now blacklisted. With the thai immigration now knowing about your criminal record, it should not be any easier for you, and the same will probably apply to you. Sorry to say.

But good luck anyway.

I stay at the moment in Malaysia, trying to get my wife to stay with me here, but no luck so far.

Edited by thaibreaker

12 hours ago, heybuz said:

australian federal police have people stationed in thailand and work with the local

police on a permanate basis,your name has been flagged.

AFP are permanently stationed at Suvarnabhumi at present and any flight into Australia is routinely monitored with one or more AFP officers checking passengers movements and validity of their passports and visas at the gates.Bikie gang members.bail jumpers and other naughty boys are well and truly on their radar now!

• Thanks 1

Just for information. 

Question 1 on the Australian IPC (a statuary declaration) specifically asks if you have steroids, as well as other prohibited items. 

I'm surprised that the OP, firstly was prosecuted if carrying only a small amount for personal use, and secondly why they would inform Thailand of his second trip over  a relatively minor matter. I tend to think there was more to the story.

Australian federal police and other agencies work closely with their overseas counterparts and will inform if major criminals are heading overseas. It's quite common. Anyone remember how the Bali nine were caught? There have been plenty of other similar cases.

There is no legal right for authorities to stop someone departing even if they have a criminal record. (Exception some pedophiles and terrorists?)  The normal procedure is to inform the destination country for them to decide on entry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, micks88 said:

First my conviction has nothing to do with sex offences , i was charged with importing,bringing back some prescription drugs from Thailand 3 years ago, as you all know purchasing steroids or other prescription drugs in a pharmacy in Thailand is easy ,my question is simply if i travelled with a different passport/country would i still be flagged? would a land crossing lets say from Cambodia be easier?

You seem to have been screwed over here by your own government.

I suggest you consult a lawyer back in Australia because what's to say they won't do this to you again and again in the future.

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Drugs and steroids are 2 very different things 

No they are not. Steroids are drugs taken for body-building, with side effects of increased cancer risk, and psychosis - the so-called "roid rage". There are legal drugs, and illegal drugs.

Personally, I think all drugs should be decriminalised, with the caveat that when a crime is committed under the influence of drugs, the offender is treated exactly the same as someone who is not.

In the meantime, the law is what it is. And those laws vary from country to country.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Just for information. 

Question 1 on the Australian IPC (a statuary declaration) specifically asks if you have steroids, as well as other prohibited items. 

I'm surprised that the OP, firstly was prosecuted if carrying only a small amount for personal use, and secondly why they would inform Thailand of his second trip over  a relatively minor matter. I tend to think there was more to the story.

Australian federal police and other agencies work closely with their overseas counterparts and will inform if major criminals are heading overseas. It's quite common. Anyone remember how the Bali nine were caught? There have been plenty of other similar cases.

There is no legal right for authorities to stop someone departing even if they have a criminal record. (Exception some pedophiles and terrorists?)  The normal procedure is to inform the destination country for them to decide on entry.

Actually oz does not allow any amounts of steroids, irrespective of its intended use. UK on the other hand allows a fair bit if reasonable for personal use.

a good buddy of mine , pro bodybuilder was arrested and convicted for possession of steroids in his house for personal use.

he was not jailed but still convicted, with conviction recorded.

if OP had it mailed in, it would be importation charge even if for personal use, same if he was bringing it with him but undeclared and found in the luggage. Importation charge 

7 minutes ago, BestB said:

Actually oz does not allow any amounts of steroids, irrespective of its intended use. UK on the other hand allows a fair bit if reasonable for personal use.

a good buddy of mine , pro bodybuilder was arrested and convicted for possession of steroids in his house for personal use.

he was not jailed but still convicted, with conviction recorded.

if OP had it mailed in, it would be importation charge even if for personal use, same if he was bringing it with him but undeclared and found in the luggage. Importation charge 

Hey BestB , i never imported steroids i just said they easy to get in thailand, i imported large amounts of prescription drugs, and i was jailed for it and ofcourse convicted with 2 years probation which i just finished

Edited by micks88
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, sydneyjed said:

AFP are permanently stationed at Suvarnabhumi at present and any flight into Australia is routinely monitored with one or more AFP officers checking passengers movements and validity of their passports and visas at the gates.Bikie gang members.bail jumpers and other naughty boys are well and truly on their radar now!

They're Australian Border Force, rather than AFP.

1 hour ago, ukrules said:
11 hours ago, micks88 said:

First my conviction has nothing to do with sex offences , i was charged with importing,bringing back some prescription drugs from Thailand 3 years ago, as you all know purchasing steroids or other prescription drugs in a pharmacy in Thailand is easy ,my question is simply if i travelled with a different passport/country would i still be flagged? would a land crossing lets say from Cambodia be easier?

So you wanted to import illegal drugs into Australia by selling steroids......now you seems to be obsessed with Thailand? Alarm bells are naturally ringing. There are plenty of Asian countries, Bali is nearer you for example. Why do you want to come back to Thailand so much when you know there are problems? Hidden agenda I suspect. If steroids should be freely available as you seem to feel why are they a prescription drug in many countries. In addition there would presumably be tax on these items you were trying to circumvent. Did you get 3 years in jail? Now you are asking if you can cheat the system with another passport which as you know you are not allowed into Thailand is a crime in itself. You do not follow the system do you?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, micks88 said:

Hey BestB , i never imported steroids i just said they easy to get in thailand, i imported large amounts of prescription drugs, and i was jailed for it and ofcourse convicted with 2 years probation which i just finished

Sorry champ

i thought you meant steroids when you said prescription drugs ?

You imported prescription medicine to Australia, from Thailand ?

Pseudoephedrine?