Mandatory travel insurance and GPS trackers for foreign tourists mooted by Thai tourism officials

webfact

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I like the lets give the Chinese a GPS so they don't get lost, when what they really mean is, we can use it to find them as soon as they have more than a 20 minute overstay. Can you imagine the uproar if they started trying to make it mandatory to put a GPS tracking bracelet on tourists from America and Europe?

I doubt the Chinese would buy this,  and any way the Chinese package tourists are herded around not much chance of getting lost. 

1 hour ago, stanleycoin said:

Nah , way to expensive for Thailand.

They were made of wood here before.

Somchai would just melt that lot down for scrap to buy some

Lao Khao

But there's every chance they will find Wun Hung Lo if he gets lost.

1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

I like the lets give the Chinese a GPS so they don't get lost, when what they really mean is, we can use it to find them as soon as they have more than a 20 minute overstay. Can you imagine the uproar if they started trying to make it mandatory to put a GPS tracking bracelet on tourists from America and Europe?

I can imagine the verbals at the airport on arrival. ???

What an indictment of Thailand that they even have to consider such things as tracking bracelets. Appalling. This is a reincarnation of that daft idea from the old witch, Kobkarn. And again it is painfully apparent that all Thailand is concerned about, when speaking of the tragic loss of all those Chinese human beings (yes, human beings), is - MONEY!

Even scum would feel ashamed to raise its ugly head in such moral company ...

For my 2 cents worth.

If money is the primary concern then the GPS tracker is dead in the water. 30 million plus brackets and the hardware and software required to put individual basic data on plus running costs takes this way over the 64 million. Unless they budget this as 2 baht per bracelet per year. 

All tourists should have insurance for personal injury. But if a third party is to blame like the Pheonix tradgey then its up to the state or operator to cough up.

As 20 % of the GDP comes fro  tourism this 64 million is a drop on the ocean. I bet todays arriving tourists spent more than 64 million bath by lunchtime today. 

What i don't get is why does the tourist protection fund  not claim from the insurance of the boat company.  If they dont have insurance sell their assets to cover this. This is in no way the tourists their responsibility but that of the tour company that sold the trip.

Seems far better to check companies to see if they have the correct insurance, because that is what should cover the tourist on trips. 

16 minutes ago, jonclark said:

For my 2 cents worth.

If money is the primary concern then the GPS tracker is dead in the water. 30 million plus brackets and the hardware and software required to put individual basic data on plus running costs takes this way over the 64 million. Unless they budget this as 2 baht per bracelet per year. 

All tourists should have insurance for personal injury. But if a third party is to blame like the Pheonix tradgey then its up to the state or operator to cough up.

As 20 % of the GDP comes fro  tourism this 64 million is a drop on the ocean. I bet todays arriving tourists spent more than 64 million bath by lunchtime today. 

I like your post.. but the if a third party is to blame.. that third party should have insurance. I believe its mandatory, if they don't have insurance its the governments problem as they should have made sure operators had insurance. So in a way its because of government officials not doing their work.

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Definately, a tourist riding a bike with no licence, no helmet must have insurance.

No insurance company would pay out for someone with no license or helmet . 

They would still be a burden on healthcare system

"Thailand’s tourist protection fund would run out of money if another incident where many people were injured or killed was to occur."

better make sure it does not happen then,did the Phoenix boat company not have insurance ?,that would be a better alternative to

make sure all these tourist attractions have proper insurance to cover any accidents or deaths, and more than 5,000 THB for a leg,

and 50,000  THB in case of death !

regards worgeordie

I see this as Thainess at its best.

They will simply put in a law that every one who enters Thailand must have travel insurance.and it is illegal to enter without it. This may even get written on their entry form given to the traveller at immigration 

So if anything does happen and some one is uninsured they simply say the traveller was in the wrong sorry we told them . Not our problem.We cannot help.

Yes, some cheaper way of tracking tourists is needed.

PRISONUNIFORM_zpspsngtlmi.jpg

39 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

I see this as Thainess at its best.

They will simply put in a law that every one who enters Thailand must have travel insurance.and it is illegal to enter without it. This may even get written on their entry form given to the traveller at immigration 

So if anything does happen and some one is uninsured they simply say the traveller was in the wrong sorry we told them . Not our problem.We cannot help.

So what is your point?

Anyone that travels w/o insurance are mostly being cheap and stupid and deserve the consequences.

Travel insurance is pretty inexpensive and decent coverage

They should be told Thailand cannot help.  Try Go Fund Me maybe that will work..

3 hours ago, stanleycoin said:

Or buy two,  get one free deal. win, win, win. :thumbsup:

Thailand GPS trackers:

--Should sell for 500 baht.

--Marked up to 2000 baht regular price.

--Then offered at special 50% off sale for 1000 baht apiece.

Such a bargain!!!  :cheesy:

4 hours ago, madmitch said:

Finally, how will compulsory insurance improve safety in Thailand?

It won't, & nor will it allow for treatment based on nature of injury instead of the much more lucrative 'ethnicity of patient' ?

34 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

So what is your point?

Anyone that travels w/o insurance are mostly being cheap and stupid and deserve the consequences.

They should be told Thailand cannot help.  Try Go Fund Me maybe that will work..

You did not get the point huh.

Well let me try again.  This is not something I do for everyone. Just the slow learners.

My point was they are going to set in place a law that The Government will have no responsibility. The foreigner will be left with out help from any Thai source unless there is NGO help. 

Hope that helps make the point.

8 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

You did not get the point huh.

Well let me try again.  This is not something I do for everyone. Just the slow learners.

My point was they are going to set in place a law that The Government will have no responsibility. The foreigner will be left with out help from any Thai source unless there is NGO help. 

Hope that helps make the point.

A meaningless point as they will never have responsibility.

I guess you are one who feels they should take care of everyone??

People should get insurance like a responsible adult.

And in case you have not figured it out yet,

It is and will always be your fault. Why?  Because you are here.  If you were not, it would have never happened.  

Think about it.....

They should have a word with my wife on how to do that. She always found me, sometimes at places where I shouldn't have been and not alone in the first place.

That's what she just recently bought.  Very easy to handle.?

We're seeling these tracking units as sets for only $ 199. The first buyers will get 10 %. be fast! 

Yes do it.jpg

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Can you imagine the uproar if they started trying to make it mandatory to put a GPS tracking bracelet on tourists from America and Europe?

I guess there won't be much uproar if they did that. Western tourists will just go to another country where it's more safe.

3 minutes ago, Thian said:

I guess there won't be much uproar if they did that. Western tourists will just go to another country where it's more safe.

With their tracking units from back home and from Thailand? Nah. 

i think a committee needs to be set up to announce the new public holiday July Fools Day.

This is a joke right?

i reallllyyy think tourists shouldnt be encouraged to travel to thailand. the thais just aint all there mentally. 

im more intersted in knowing where all these tourists cash is going and how its being allocated. im sure if some real figures got out everyone would be able to verify what all farang know. Its Greed!

3 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

So what is your point?

I would put stupid before cheap to be honest.

Archived