Mandatory travel insurance and GPS trackers for foreign tourists mooted by Thai tourism officials

webfact

Scores of tourists die on a boat that should have never been allowed to depart shore; should have been properly registered; should have had liability insurance  and should have a proper crew/Captain and now Thailand is complaining that it is the tourists fault they did not have travel insurance and the country had to pay out damages.

How illogical can one get. should they ever attempt to  mandate travel insurance and a GPS tracker- most tourists will find a new destination.  Clean up your own liability by forcing business that cater to anyone to be properly registered and licensed and have each business with mandatory liability insurance.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For my 2 cents worth.
If money is the primary concern then the GPS tracker is dead in the water. 30 million plus brackets and the hardware and software required to put individual basic data on plus running costs takes this way over the 64 million. Unless they budget this as 2 baht per bracelet per year. 

All tourists should have insurance for personal injury. But if a third party is to blame like the Pheonix tradgey then its up to the state or operator to cough up.

As 20 % of the GDP comes fro  tourism this 64 million is a drop on the ocean. I bet todays arriving tourists spent more than 64 million bath by lunchtime today. 
Too soon to be using the expression "dead in the water" when referring to Chinese tourists...

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Meanwhile, the Tourism and Sports Ministry said that 35 million tourists visited Thailand in 2017, an increase of 12 percent on the previous year but it admitted that tourism numbers in Phuket were down in July following cancellations from Chinese tourists.

Wow! A statement from TAT actually admitting that figures are DOWN - but it HAD to be linked to a statement saying that the overall figures are UP (By 12% no less!)

and boost safety for tourists

So according to the cretins ,having insurance will boost safety for Tourists ,???  shouldn't safety be implemented before allowing anyone in , or maybe that's just pie in the sky ,OOps silly me just thinking aloud , forgot for a mo TIT

On 7/26/2018 at 3:37 PM, happy chappie said:

top morons in top jobs.the Thai mind is mind boggling how it works and what it spews out.

It would seem G7 downs syndromers function at a higher  level

"Thailand has paid out 64 million baht in compensation to the families of the 47 victims and survivors of the Phoenix boat that sank"

- so boats are allowed to operate without public liability insurance?

- mandatory insurance for tourists is a must for personal protection, but not in lieu of failure by the likes of boat operators to have insurance in the first place. 

2 hours ago, sambum said:

Meanwhile, the Tourism and Sports Ministry said that 35 million tourists visited Thailand in 2017, an increase of 12 percent on the previous year but it admitted that tourism numbers in Phuket were down in July following cancellations from Chinese tourists.

Wow! A statement from TAT actually admitting that figures are DOWN - but it HAD to be linked to a statement saying that the overall figures are UP (By 12% no less!)

So, what is your point?

They put out a statement based upon my observation is true.

So??

Hi there.

We have to keep things right regarding travel insurances and disaster compensations!

Travel insurance is covering the persons medical cost due to accident or illness during the stay.

It also covers the cost of home transport of body or funeral in Thailand

It does not  cover any kind of compensation in case of death to family members.

It does in most cases cover for a certain invalidity in case of accident.

This is something that authroties could/should demand that all tourist have to sign as well as foreigners

living in Thailand. I know this is a very "hot potato" four tourists as well for those living here.

It is said to intergrate to persons independence.Will propably get lot of angy comments on this!

A disarster like this in Phuket is naturally the responsibility of the country as it was  lack of control.

The ship was built illegaly,security checks were obviously not proper and how come that the

harbour authorities could not stop the captain from leaving the harbour . The touroperator and captain

should not be able to set off without permission under weather conditions like this.

The lifewest control should be charper and controlled every year.For example are the batteries for the

light ok and does they carry a person even if unconcious.

Is this done,not as far as I know and what I have seen.

It will cost money but it makes the trip safe and gives more passangers.

Rumours say that they left because the tourist had paid for the trip and it had to be fullfilled.

Did tourists know the risks?, Sure not! Would they like to take the trip paid in advance knowing the risk,

most certainly not.Would they ask for many back ? Ofcourse. 

This is nothing any insurance for foreigners will cover and should not.

Perhaps Thailand should have an insurance to cover such cost.That would really make the counytry safe

for tourism.But I hope that this disaster has been a eye-opening and that similar things wount happen again.

8 hours ago, tonysilly said:

I wonder if the diving company had insurance? Do mini vans and taxi drivers have insurance for passengers?  Do club and bar owners,have insurance for their customers? Everyone should get insurance then? 

They already not pay for VAT,

so dont thinking about any insurance...

7 hours ago, Redline said:

I’m sure the Chinese would like a break from being tracked while on holiday. 

I'm not so sure,

all farang with a smartphone are tracked to (not by governement but...) and so, they come with it in Thailand...

And just a simple sim card can be tracked to.

2 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

So, what is your point?

They put out a statement based upon my observation is true.

So??

My point is that for the past few years when the bars, restaurants and hotels are devoid of people, and the owners of such places are all saying the same thing - "Where are all the tourists?" TAT will still come up with a statement to say that tourist numbers are UP, when everybody at the sharp end of the stick knows that they are DOWN! " Based on my observation", where I live, the number of tourists has declined steadily over the years, and the last "High Season" was a non-event. However, the beginning of July saw an obvious increase in tourists, but no one knows why, especially as at that time it was still supposed to be "Low Season", so that explains my surprise that for once, the TAT figures seem to be acceptable, especially as they tempered the statement with a comment that the numbers of Chinese tourists in Phuket (Only!) are DOWN because of the ferry disaster.

So??? That was my point! 

Maybe it's not a bad idea to tracking the Chinese tourists  by GPS so they won't lost. I don't realize the  why they don't travel individually or at least with their family like as we westerners do. But they always need to travel joined with huge groups.   

8 hours ago, roadrunner32 said:

Maybe it's not a bad idea to tracking the Chinese tourists  by GPS so they won't lost. I don't realize the  why they don't travel individually or at least with their family like as we westerners do. But they always need to travel joined with huge groups.   

False.

More and more are traveling in small groups or with families.

Go by The Base or Centric just about 24/7 and you will see them waiting out front for checkin.

2 or 3 (mostly women) and families with small kids.

Brain storming : Maximise Tourism Earnings:
we do have some capacity constraints on public transport and airports.
How to reduce capacity constraints:
reduce growing tourism traffic.
How?
threat tourists like they are special, follow every move they make: 
drive too fast; frequent an unlicensed hotel or bar or, common sense forbid, non existing other entertainment;
cross the street away from pedestrian crossing; buy food at an unlicensed street vendor; not polite in the elevator;
buy handicrafts from unlicensed hawkers;
Fine, Fine, Fine, Fine; fifth Fine extra fine.
so even those that do not object to being tagged will stay away, 
Ah, brilliant ! but what about Tourism Revenue ?

Never mind, that is the Ministry across the street.

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:05 PM, micmichd said:

Tit for tat. Health insurances are mandatory for Thais in Europe. 

Er, not so... My mates Mrs went into her local NHS hospital in England and she was treated free on the NHS.... She was shocked that she didn't have to pay like in Thailand..... My mate had to explain about tax, national insurance and health care...... Something Thailand should be thinking about.....

6 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Er, not so... My mates Mrs went into her local NHS hospital in England and she was treated free on the NHS.... She was shocked that she didn't have to pay like in Thailand..... My mate had to explain about tax, national insurance and health care...... Something Thailand should be thinking about.....

That would mean everyone would have to pay tax on their earnings. 

Simple statement for UK and EU.

Think about Thailand, earnings and the rich/poor divide.

Well that ought to boost tourism! Most countries protect their guest, and citizens, with proper safety requirements being enforced, but why do that when you can use the danger as an excuse to fleece anyone coming as a tourist.

28 minutes ago, chama said:

Well that ought to boost tourism! Most countries protect their guest, and citizens, with proper safety requirements being enforced, but why do that when you can use the danger as an excuse to fleece anyone coming as a tourist.

I agree that proper safety measures should be in place. But  no matter what country they visit, most travelers buy travel insurance.

They pay the money to their domestic insurance companies so Thailand isn't fleecing anybody.

42 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Thailand does have a national health care system. It's the 30 baht plan.

A couple of years ago they introduced an additional 150 baht arrival and departure tax. This money was to be used to cover medical expenses / compensation for tourists injured or killed in Thailand.  300 X 35 million, thats a lot of billions in the trough every year, what ever happened to all this money?  

The hearding of foreign tourists through cattle runs where they will forcefully have tags attached so they can be monitored like paedophiles is going to do much for future tourism.  People won't want to visit a country where they will be looked at as some sort of sub human species.  Tagging your commodities isn't going to stop some thai driving like an absolute idiot or ladyboys seriously assaulting you for your wallet.

Archived