Mandatory travel insurance and GPS trackers for foreign tourists mooted by Thai tourism officials

webfact

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Darcula said:

Here is a screenshot from TATs computer at the department tasked with tracking all those tourists. Highest density is at the 7-11 outside a hotel.

wpid-bnpmap_450x350.jpg

Anticipating "Cheen-Tracker", the soon to be launched collaboration between TAT, True and 7-11. All tourists get a free GPS wristband and a mini teddy bear on a stick. 

Why can't the Thai government simply self-insure against fallen tourist claims?  Add 50 Baht a day or whatever it takes to the visa/entry fee and send that off to the Ministry of SAT ("Sorry About That".  Or let vendors sell travel insurance in the arrival area along with chicken on a stick and such.

11 hours ago, observer90210 said:

Definately, a tourist riding a bike with no licence, no helmet must have insurance.

A tourist riding a bike with no license and no helmet will never have insurance because no insurance company would pay.

15 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Can you imagine the uproar if they started trying to make it mandatory to put a GPS tracking bracelet on tourists from America and Europe?

If they have an iPhone or Android, they are already tracked....

The implementation will probably just  add to somebody's pocket.  Tracking technologies are very cheap now with software defined radio.  School boards in certain Asian countries were implementing them and charging a pretty penny.  That is what this is sounding like.  It sounds more like money scam that will make Thailand look inept and brainless. 

Would love to see travel insurance vending machines, but Thailand still has not discovered the photo booth.  

No officials want to do their job in Thailand.  They are worthy of all contempt. 

GPS trackers for farang? Brilliant idea! But let’s first test the technology on Thais, starting with Shinawat family and heirs to the Red Bull company. Then we’ll know if they really work!

Very little has been discussed regarding the owners/operators of the boat company involved in the suicide voyage of the tour boat.

How well qualified was the "Captain", and why would he ignore official advice NOT to go out into a storm.

Seems the Thai govt is not at fault but certain boat operators might be.

15 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Why waste anymore much sort after money on GPS trackers, these are cheaper and don't break down or require batteries.

wpid-article-1306834643451-0c487d86000005dc-712407_636x300.jpg

I take it these are for the cash cows?

16 hours ago, Darcula said:

Here is a screenshot from TATs computer at the department tasked with tracking all those tourists. Highest density is at the 7-11 outside a hotel.

wpid-bnpmap_450x350.jpg

Oh! OK, for a moment, I thought that was actually INSIDE the 7/11...…………..!

It is unlikely Thailand will do anything that will even slightly inhibit tourism. They occasionally waive the cost of a tourist visa to increase tourism

Adding the requirement of having health insurance or showing financial capability to support yourself without working for one year on a Thai language visa is not likely to happen

If Thailand had strict health and safety laws there would be far less accidents . I would be very surprised to hear that very few tourists coming to Thailand did not have insurance . The recent terrible accidents that have caused many deaths at sea could have been avoided by having regular inspections to ensure dive and tourist craft were up to an acceptable standard as well as employing experienced staff to ensure passengers safety sadly it’s all about money 

travel insurance is a must for sure for everybody,saves on the begging on go fund me page.please help i have no insurance to fix me up.don ,t know about the gps thing but most have a thai sim like myself,mine is legal and traceble too.checking before you reach bkk not sure if that will work

Having a travel insurance is always a good idea. European countries demand insurance before issuing a visa to those who need one. However that has nothing to do with providers' insurance. When an aircraft crushed the airline must compensate the relatives of those who died regardless if they had other insurance. In the USA (and probably in other countries as well) if someone is injured while visiting a business place or while taking a tour, the business or their insurance will have to pay. In some countries if someone is injured while breaking into a home, the home owner is held responsible... 

so I would think that the boat/ferry/bus companies and other service providers must show an insurance policy in order to get the business license

In the uk these trackers are know as 'tags' and worn by criminals.why would anyone want to be going on holiday to a country where they tag you like you are a criminal.it doesn't matter if they say it's for your safety,it's the esteem they carry with them.i say go on then and put your money where your mouth is.tag away and see what happens.itll be world wide news within hours and the death of tourism.one thing Thais are good at is cocking things up.thailand truely is amazing.

4 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

Having a travel insurance is always a good idea. European countries demand insurance before issuing a visa to those who need one. However that has nothing to do with providers' insurance. When an aircraft crushed the airline must compensate the relatives of those who died regardless if they had other insurance. In the USA (and probably in other countries as well) if someone is injured while visiting a business place or while taking a tour, the business or their insurance will have to pay. In some countries if someone is injured while breaking into a home, the home owner is held responsible... 

so I would think that the boat/ferry/bus companies and other service providers must show an insurance policy in order to get the business license

A new creative design hub is looming. I can see a surge in recruitment adverts: Graphic designer required. Must be experienced using Photoshop,

16 hours ago, happy chappie said:

Don't matter if I have 10 insurance policies it doesn't make thailand any safer for me.are the Chinese the only ones to get gps trackers and if so why? It'll kill European tourism because most would see it as just some sort of way of spying/breach of privacy or human rights.top morons in top jobs.the Thai mind is mind boggling how it works and what it spews out.

Indeed 'the Thai mind....' I could not agree more. Quite frankly it reminds me of the old Monty Python scene where men in white coats with butterfly nets are dancing in the street.

I wrote a letter of complaint once to Thai airlines about how we had a very bad experience with a flight from Bkk to Sydney. They wrote back stating how wonderful the airline was and included a Thai airlines neck tie! Just bizzare juvanile behaviour in dealing with a disgruntled passenger.

Very strange fruit.

9 minutes ago, happy chappie said:

In the uk these trackers are know as 'tags' and worn by criminals.why would anyone want to be going on holiday to a country where they tag you like you are a criminal.it doesn't matter if they say it's for your safety,it's the esteem they carry with them.i say go on then and put your money where your mouth is.tag away and see what happens.itll be world wide news within hours and the death of tourism.one thing Thais are good at is cocking things up.thailand truely is amazing. 

Thailand: The Ladyboy hub

17 hours ago, webfact said:

(Mandatory travel insurance) it wasn’t immediately clear how such a requirement would be implemented

Well, you could look at how some other countries implement insurance requirements. Some make it part of the Visa process. The airlines could require it. The IO could ask for it... But, I don't want to interfere with your brainstorm activity, looks like them alpha waves have taken over, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Archived