Mandatory travel insurance and GPS trackers for foreign tourists mooted by Thai tourism officials

webfact

17 hours ago, Darcula said:

Here is a screenshot from TATs computer at the department tasked with tracking all those tourists. Highest density is at the 7-11 outside a hotel.

wpid-bnpmap_450x350.jpg

like to know where they get the extra tourist from .i was in pattaya last week so quite all the shops are complaining never seen so many girls in the coconut bar ,in the daytime .spoke to a lot of people that make their living from tourism the answer was the same no people no money.also got friends all over and the feed back is the same.even in my town Tak its gone quiet ,love to see the real figures . 

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mandatory insurance for tourists is actually a good idea.  Require airlines to check just as they are required to check valid visas for many countries before allowing you on a flight.  If arriving by land then require the immigration officials to check it.  I think it would not be a very difficult policy to enforce at least for the vast majority of arrivals.  But the idea of providing tracking bracelets is so stupid, it does make you wonder how the country operates with such monumental buffalos in so high a percentage of important posts.  

4 minutes ago, tigerfeet said:

like to know where they get the extra tourist from .i was in pattaya last week so quite all the shops are complaining never seen so many girls in the coconut bar ,in the daytime .spoke to a lot of people that make their living from tourism the answer was the same no people no money.also got friends all over and the feed back is the same.even in my town Tak its gone quiet ,love to see the real figures . 

Same in HH, restaurants and businesses are all complaining this year, and you can feel the shortage of tourists in and around the town. My gf works in tourism and she spoke about it too. I mentioned it on here and some TV poster linked me to Thai statistics that tourism is up this year.. 
This would suggest that either the statistics are wrong, or that the tourists are in different areas than usual..? Or maybe the tourists are different, less Western tourists who often frequent restaurants and lady-bars, and more of the Chinese variety, who get on a bus, and stop off in certain areas and hop back on their bus again; I've seen A LOT of Chinese bus loads around HH 

Greetings

slightly of topic I know however it might be relevant 

Recently i enquired about Travel insurance and it seems that any one over 70 can not get insurance here. as I am 4 score that leaves me without travel insurance.

I may be wrong and if any one knows of a company that will issue Travel insurance to the Old timers please let me know 

32 minutes ago, SpeakeasyThai said:

Indeed 'the Thai mind....' I could not agree more. Quite frankly it reminds me of the old Monty Python scene where men in white coats with butterfly nets are dancing in the street.

I wrote a letter of complaint once to Thai airlines about how we had a very bad experience with a flight from Bkk to Sydney. They wrote back stating how wonderful the airline was and included a Thai airlines neck tie! Just bizzare juvanile behaviour in dealing with a disgruntled passenger.

Very strange fruit.

Classic! 

12 minutes ago, Easy Come Easy Go said:

Same in HH, restaurants and businesses are all complaining this year, and you can feel the shortage of tourists in and around the town. My gf works in tourism and she spoke about it too. I mentioned it on here and some TV poster linked me to Thai statistics that tourism is up this year.. 
This would suggest that either the statistics are wrong, or that the tourists are in different areas than usual..? Or maybe the tourists are different, less Western tourists who often frequent restaurants and lady-bars, and more of the Chinese variety, who get on a bus, and stop off in certain areas and hop back on their bus again; I've seen A LOT of Chinese bus loads around HH 

Exactly. The numbers for Chinese tourist arrivals are up. And just as you say, they're bussed around from stop to stop. 

I crossed the Chao Praya River the other day, the entire river was absolutely heaving with boats, all full of Chinese tourists. 

The Thai Government are always eager to announce how many millions of tourists are arriving, I think they have some responsibility to ensure they are protected.

The amount of money they are talking about is minimal compared to how much they are earning off all these tourists.

Health care is a different matter but if all “Tourists” paid a nominal amount (100 Baht) there would be enough in the coffers (corruption aside) to pay the medical costs for those who claim they have not enough money.

Care to be limited to Government Hospitals not the Marble and Veneer edifices in the private sector.

I have only experience of the UK where Travel insurance is readily available at a nominal cost even by the Post Office; I am sure similar Travel Insurance is also available in other countries.

Thai Embassies can do a LOT more in informing the public about this when Visas and Info are requested.

Jesus Christ! The “burden on state coffers”? Tourism is a huge foreign currency earner for Thailand, but when Thai carelessness kills some of those valuable tourists they grumble about the “burden on state coffers”. 

Also.....GPS bracelets are no use under water. What next, microchipping tourists?

Mandatory insurance no problem 

but when you get visitors killed or injured that is your fault - utter BS as Thailand not known as a safe place - mini vans boats ripping off tourists in taxis -

as for the "tags" treat your own first 

18 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

How dare those foreigners allow inept safety standards lead to their own deaths. 

Do they not know how much money it costs Thailand?

And as for the negative publicity...

Only in the place where it happens and only for five minutes.

"Meanwhile, the Tourism and Sports Ministry said that 35 million tourists visited Thailand in 2017, an increase of 12 percent on the previous year but it admitted that tourism numbers in Phuket were down in July following cancellations from Chinese tourists."

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

European countries demand insurance before issuing a visa to those who need one. However that has nothing to do with providers' insurance.

Only Schengen countries require visa nationals to have insurance.

18 hours ago, Rally123 said:

Isn't it up to Thailand to protect tourists by implementing better health and safety laws? Talk about cop out.

I agree!!!! People would stop coming! That's why they leave it up to people to buy flight insurance at the airports in the US. Safety is up to the country/ownership of the place holding the venue! They could offer extra insurance to the customer, but if they have good safety etc. they wouldn't have to worry about it because it would be a one chance in a million of something happening.

18 hours ago, Rally123 said:

Isn't it up to Thailand to protect tourists by implementing better health and safety laws? Talk about cop out.

Absolutely.  It is in the national character of Thailand to always say someone else is to blame.  They at the least, might lose face or even worse have to take responsibility for their actions in many cases, for the first time in their lives.  Oh, the horror of those two possibilities. This is why there are so many claims of failed brakes in Thailand. (Well that, AND cr@p maintenance) No one will admit to speeding, dangerous passing or being distracted by their phone or anything else that may require them to take responsibility for their actions.   "Brakes failed.  Look Mum, no face loss,"

Travel insurance might not be a bad idea....but you want to see Thailand turn into a country where tourist numbers will drop dramatically, start making people wear GPS trackers. Is this so they can find the people who drown in the polluted murky waters of Jomtien beach???

GPS trackers for tourists... 

If mandatory that is so against most standards of human freedom of association and free will as to be astounding. Even for a thai ministry appointee.

They do this for criminals on home release, but just coming to Thailand does not de facto make you a criminal.

The tour boat sinks. Will the GPS be water proof and transmit a signal to find your body? Barn door closed, but at least you don’t float away as fish food.

So the cost of all these GPS units will be less than just enforcing safety standards on boats and vehicles?

Another walk back of a political appointee running his moth expected.

TIT. 

18 hours ago, Darcula said:

Here is a screenshot from TATs computer at the department tasked with tracking all those tourists. Highest density is at the 7-11 outside a hotel.

wpid-bnpmap_450x350.jpg

Surely you could have found a screenshot of Bangkok instead of London. In London the only GPS bracelets anklets are given to guests temporarily checking out of Her Majesty's Prison Service hotels.

I don't think the Chinese or any other nationality would take kindly to wearing a bracelet like a criminal on early release from jail.. although I can see how it would make life easier for Thai authorities to find them after an accident has occurred..

I wonder if they work under water??

I for one would be offended by any country asking me to wear such an item while on holiday... I'd vote with my feet & say never again Thailand.. better places to go visit, made to feel more welcome & safe!!!

My Thai family has Cigna insurance. My wife claimed I was automatically covered under the family policy, but I failed to be convinced, so I asked why I don't have an insurance card in my own name?

Wife gets on the phone to obtain a card, on a policy that is paid for each month through her credit card, and has been this way for the past four years. 

They ask does your husband have a work permit?

No, he doesn't work.

Again, does you husband have a work permit?

No again, he doesn't work. He's on a Non-O visa.

Insurance company tells my wife we need to check, 

and get back to you about this.

1 week passes, and they finally decide upon her calling them back, 

that the insurance can provide an answer to the original question, 

on how to get an insurance card for a family policy, which has been paid on for the past four years.

Answer: can't cover foreigner, they cost to much in claims.

Kasikorn bank accident insurance informed me of the same.

First it was that I needed a work permit, 

just to renew the accident insurance I had for several years, 

which is renewed annually.

Then when I no longer have working status, and therefore don't posses a work permit, 

since I'm now retired, well they claim it's to expensive for foreigner to be covered, 

so not able to sell coverage.

Now I'm on the hunt for medical insurance.

Case in point; even when a foreigner wants insurance, it's hard to obtain easily.

Archived