Now 3800 places to drop off toxic and electronic waste in Bangkok

snoop1130

Now 3800 places to drop off toxic and electronic waste in Bangkok

By The Nation

75c9da983c73be7679ad9144b8a08990.jpeg

File photo: Traffic jam in Bangkok.

The Pollution Control Department (PCD) has prepared nearly 4,000 locations for Bangkok residents to safely drop off their toxic or electronic waste.

Dumping such waste in the wrong place risks contaminating the environment, and eventual migration of toxics into the food chain and people’s meals.

The problem is foreboding, given that about 29 tonnes of toxic or electronic waste is generated in the capital each day – totalling 993 tonnes yearly. 

“So since 2017, we have collaborated with convenience stores, petrol stations and department stores in developing 3,815 safe spots for people to dump their unwanted cellphones, cell-phone batteries, batteries, fluorescent lamps and contaminated containers such as emptied sprayers in Bangkok,” said PCD director-general Sunee Piyapanpong on Thursday. 

She said the collaboration would soon expand to cover other provinces too. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30350888

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-7-26

3,800 places and not one is listed or any indication how to obtain such a list - reporting at its best.
I've asked many times on various Thaivisa threads about the location of official waste /recycling sites, never once got a location...they are very well hidden ! [emoji45]

23 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

So, living in Chonburi where would I dispose of Nickel Cadmium batteries?  I intend to replace the battery modules in some power tools.

Mmmm.... swimming lessons in the gulf of Thailand.... it’s convenient, easy to find.... and a well developed garbage site designed for ease of waste disposal for most of the nation. (Some of us have to use the alternative Andaman site, which has less access routes, unfortunately)

with such items as nic cad batteries, it is best if they are put in a zip lock baggie, so they float ashore in Pattaya for recycling. ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, farcanell said:

Mmmm.... swimming lessons in the gulf of Thailand.... it’s convenient, easy to find.... and a well developed garbage site designed for ease of waste disposal for most of the nation. (Some of us have to use the alternative Andaman site, which has less access routes, unfortunately)

with such items as nic cad batteries, it is best if they are put in a zip lock baggie, so they float ashore in Pattaya for recycling. ?

Perhaps sister in law's failed dry well.

• Haha 1

On 7/26/2018 at 8:29 PM, lopburi3 said:

3,800 places and not one is listed or any indication how to obtain such a list - reporting at its best.

Every time the PCD comes out with an announcement like this, it's exactly the same. No mention of any specific places. No mention of where or how to find a list of the specific places, etc etc.

Last time  I tried a year or two back, it was in connection with trying to find a place to take a simple used/non working cell phone battery. And it took me hours of searching online, many calls and a lot of detective footwork before I finally found a couple places that merely had a plastic bin for collecting batteries.

For anything else, the best answer I could get even after talking directly to the PCD was to bring stuff to the main PCD location up on Phahonyothin Road.  Where all these supposed thousands of other places are, I'm pretty skeptical.  When I asked before, their response was they were working to develop them.... not that they actually existed at that time.

I'm not sure, per the article, that convenience stores or mobile phone shops or baskets in malls are the places they want people to be bringing used chemical or pesticide containers and other contaminated stuff.

As usual, GARBAGE!!!!

• Like 2