plastic wrap luggage for Intl flights?

chubby

The only reason I'd do it would be if I'm worried the bag will fall apart! 

Ultimately, any customs official (anywhere) has the right to cut it open for inspection.

I can only assume that the baggage handling industry are more focused on efficiency than trafficking some illegals in my bag. We can only hope.  A great business opportunity with a paranoid traveler market however .

I say don't bother. Roll your own dice though.

5 hours ago, Trouble said:

Aircrew generally don't check their luggage.  Most of the time they take them on board as carry on.  That's why all the  nooks and crannies are filled with black roller boards. 

I think that depends on the airline rules.

Years ago when we had Northwest Orient they were schlepping their bags to the gate.

Recently I have seen lines of Air Hostess "pretties" checking identical bags at the departures counter.

20 hours ago, Small Joke said:

Look at it this way. Professional flyers (Aircrew) don't wrap their luggage anywhere on the planet. Even in holes like Lagos, Rio, and Manila. 

Why then,  should You? 

because my soft bag was cut in the airport and stuff removed. Plastic wrap makes it less likely. Hard cases probably don't need wrapping.

On 7/27/2018 at 8:27 AM, GinBoy2 said:

I'd almost guarantee that if you tried to check a bag at a US airport that was wrapped, that DHS rules would force you to remove the wrapping before you could check it in.

Now, in the other direction, dunno about that. I see that fancy shrink wrap station as you enter Survanaphumi
Whether or not if you try to check bags to a US destination there are rules, similar to the periodic 'enhanced' checks they do before you board, thats difficult to know.

Basically don't do it. I would think. If you're worried about the bag bursting and showering your undies over the baggage claim, probably just better to buy one of those baggage straps

OP is looking for facts here, not opinions and guesses. 

How often do you travel international ? I always either have my checked luggage plastic wrapped or secured with several wraps of duct tape. Plus small pad locks. In over 60 flights I have never once had my bag opened by security. This is 2018. Scanning will show all they need to know. If something suspicious they will pull you aside so you are present if your bag needs internal inspection.
If someone wants to steal your luggage then it doesn't matter if you wrap it or not. Don't see the point in doing this. I've been traveling frequently for over 20 years, have never locked or wrapped it and have never had anything from my luggage stolen or have someone put something in it.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, reenatinnakor said:

If someone wants to steal your luggage then it doesn't matter if you wrap it or not. Don't see the point in doing this. I've been traveling frequently for over 20 years, have never locked or wrapped it and have never had anything from my luggage stolen or have someone put something in it.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

So, I guess your name is Lucky.