NATIONAL Two day booze ban finishes tonight at midnight

rooster59

Two day booze ban finishes tonight at midnight

By The Thaiger

maxresdefault-3.jpg

The sale or serving of alcohol will remain prohibited in Phuket until midnight tonight (Saturday) as part of a nationwide ban commemorating the start of Buddhist Lent. Yesterday (Friday) alcohol was banned for the main Buddhist annual holiday, Asanha Bucha Day.

“Alcohol sales are prohibited from midnight Thursday until midnight Saturday.”

Alcohol may be sold in only one location: hotels. This exemption was put in place to “stimulate the tourism sector”, according to the ministerial announcement.

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/two-day-alcohol-ban-around-thailand

thtthaiger.png
-- © Copyright The Thaiger 2018-07-28

34 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

Alcohol may be sold in only one location: hotels. This exemption was put in place to “stimulate the tourism sector”, according to the ministerial announcement.

Didn't I read in another thread the ban covered all establishments?

If you're a Thai tourist staying in a hotel you can drink alcohol then? I can see a loophole appearing for some hotel entrepreneurs: Free room with every 1,000 Baht of alcohol consumed in our bar.

4 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

At the beach today. See many Buddhists not refraining from drinking alcohol. Guess they bought the alcohol before the ban and brought it with them. Which begs the question - why ban the sale of alcohol anyway? 

Lip service.

If they bought the alcohol before the ban, that shows the organised ones.

Not difficult, but needs forward planning - a minority attribute.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guess Ban Tha Makhaeng is no longer in Thailand. Seeing the state of many of the men who had a day off work and will have trouble remembering where it went I assume booze was pretty much all that consumed yesterday. No sales ban here I can assure you.

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Lip service.

If they bought the alcohol before the ban, that shows the organised ones.

Not difficult, but needs forward planning - a minority attribute.

I thought the ban meant drinking in public was banned not just alcohol sales ?

The sale or serving of alcohol will remain prohibited in Phuket until midnight tonight (Saturday) as part of a nationwide ban commemorating the start of Buddhist Lent. Yesterday (Friday) alcohol was banned for the main Buddhist annual holiday, Asanha Bucha Day.

Every Thai person that I know as well as the online calendars say that Buddhist lent started Friday ( coinciding with Asanha Bucha day). So Saturday is not a Buddha day at all - Why the ban??

46 minutes ago, loong said:

Every Thai person that I know as well as the online calendars say that Buddhist lent started Friday ( coinciding with Asanha Bucha day). So Saturday is not a Buddha day at all - Why the ban??

The Thai calendar on my iPhone says:

Fryday 27: Asalha Puja, Buddist observance commemorating the Buddha's first discourse, the Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta.

Saturday 28: Buddhist Lent Day, Buddhist observance marking the beginning of Vassa also known as  Buddhist Lent.

both being clearly Buddha day on this calendar.