Are Thai prisoners now required to pay for their food?

Bigfarang1948

I am a prison visitor to several jails and I have never heard anything of this nature. Certainly the food provided is barely enough to keep a scabby dog alive and prisoners do kind of need some money to buy something decent to stay healthy. However, many prisoners do not have any family, so making such people, who have no access to funds pay for food is impossible. While it ignores many of the aspects of the various international treaties it has signed on prisoner rights, cutting off food is not one of them, and even in Thailand, I do not see that they would be crazy enough to try.

• 2 weeks later...

I visit a girls mom in prison near Pattaya. I put money on the books for her between 1000 and 2000 per visit...... They do get free food but basically it is 'slop' and just enough to keep them alive... so as said by Darkside Dog above, Family members can enhance the inmate's eating experience while in prison by depositing money 'on the books' for them....

There is another form you can fill out and pay for such things as tooth paste, soap, shampoo, even ice cream....... and pay seperately for that.....

If somebody has family they are not so bad off.... But pity those others with 'nobody....

The basic food and this system of families 'paying' may be what was mistakenly thought to be what you thought was families 'required to pay'

I had heard years ago that they didn't even have toilets.... Just a hole in the floor in the corner of the room.... According to the 'mom'... they do have toilets......

On 7/30/2018 at 8:25 AM, darksidedog said:

I am a prison visitor to several jails and I have never heard anything of this nature. Certainly the food provided is barely enough to keep a scabby dog alive and prisoners do kind of need some money to buy something decent to stay healthy. However, many prisoners do not have any family, so making such people, who have no access to funds pay for food is impossible. While it ignores many of the aspects of the various international treaties it has signed on prisoner rights, cutting off food is not one of them, and even in Thailand, I do not see that they would be crazy enough to try.

It's a national.disgrace and the government are even worse

Guys,

There is a pitiful government budget for food within prisons.

However, it is there and provided. Prisoners do get fed three times a day. Yes, it's in the main, rice and carbohydrate-based alongside lousy soup.

Sure it is not enough in terms of vitamins and protein, but it is there and it is free. I think whoever has suggested they pay for food is ' pulling the wool ' to get money from somebody??

Nobody starves in a Thai prison no matter how poor they are.

We have mentioned this subject before but the very poor subsidize income by doing laundry, cleaning, and other services and generally being ' lackeys ' for the richer prisoners, especially the poor Cambodians and Burmese.

1 minute ago, Scouse123 said:

Guys,

However, it is there and provided. Prisoners do get fed three times a day. Yes, it's in the main, rice and carbohydrate-based alongside lousy soup.

Sure it is not enough in terms of vitamins and protein, but it is there and it is free. I think whoever has suggested they pay for food is ' pulling the wool ' to get money from somebody??

You say prisoners get fed 3 times a day wrong when i was in Buriram prison you got fed twice a day.

Morning 7.30 afternoon 3.30.

In Chonburi, in 2001 it was three times,

OK, it may have changed or different rules in different prisons?

The main point being, nobody starves no matter the lousy stuff they are given to eat.

8 hours ago, tryasimight said:

I'm curious to know why people become prison visitors.  I can understand if a relative or friend is banged up..... But otherwise? 

i AM SURE that there are MANY answers to your question.........

My case I know a young lady whose mom got locked up for 2 year 8 months.... I've been with the daughter a number of times, Near Pattaya, to visit Mom.......

Not a pleasant way to pay for your 'mistakes' .... very 'crude' in there..........

11 hours ago, Icha said:

Thai prison is a heaven compared to Lao one, according to some who've been there. In Lao prison, the family actually needs to feed them.

In Vietnam they are fed twice a day, morning tea and bread, ;late afternoon, salty rice and dried fish..........families feed the prisoners, or as above deposit money so they can buy food.    There is also a comune farm, they raise chickens, pigs, an grow vegetables for sale. 

On 7/30/2018 at 8:25 AM, darksidedog said:

I am a prison visitor to several jails and I have never heard anything of this nature. Certainly the food provided is barely enough to keep a scabby dog alive and prisoners do kind of need some money to buy something decent to stay healthy. However, many prisoners do not have any family, so making such people, who have no access to <deleted>nds pay for food is impossible. While it ignores many of the aspects of the various international treaties it has signed on prisoner rights, cutting off food is not one of them, and even in Thailand, I do not see that they would be crazy enough to try.

Never met a Thai without family, are they all jailed ?!

Kudos for visiting prisons, is it something that we can do around Pattaya also ?

Guys,

I don't want go back and forward arguing my case on this but here it is:-

You get all these dramatized stories of Thai prisons basically by ' con artists '  after they have left trying to earn a few dollars. The books have now been done to death.

Look, they are not nice places. Sure, they are not. The government spends as little as it can on them and they are run as businesses producing everything from furniture in Chonburi to fake jeans in Bang Kwang! Yes, a prison turning out from an inside factory copy jeans and clothing, all sanctioned by the authorities.

Overcrowding being a massive issue. Yes, people do sleep on floors, Yes, there are very poor sanitary conditions and there are vermin, a fact of Thai prisons. Yes, the food is lousy if you have no money to buy your own,, but it is paid for and budgeted by the government, another fact of Thai prisons. .............. IT'S-A THAI PRISON.

The main reasons for violence tend to be people who have gambling debts or drug debts with the ' inside mafias '  etc.  They don't, as a rule, (unlike UK prisons ) dish out beatings for no reason nor do they differentiate between a paedo, a thief or a murderer.

It is one big ' melting pot ' whereby the most dangerous prisoners are in even with those on petty offenses. It is therefore wise, not to upset a guy who is in again for serious drugs or murder charges and has no chance of Amnesty because it's a second or often third offense and is serving a life sentence.

Male rape is not the norm, there are too many willing to sell themselves for soap, shampoo, food, and cigarettes. These range from ladyboys to young men on long sentences whose family don't, won't, or are too poor to visit.In Klong Prem, open masturbation in the toilet was a filthy habit by long-term criminals.

I personally know and have met Colin Martin author of ' Welcome to Hell ' and Billy Moore ' A prayer before dawn ' Colin, was a scouser although traveling on an Irish passport. The other guy Billy Moore, who got some Pattaya guy to write his book as he is bordering illiterate, was a pure figment of his imagination.

Kudos to him, he managed to con people and it has become a book and a film for a guy who actually only spent four months in Klong Prem. In that time, without dragging up, old news, he wants you to believe he studied Thai martial art boxing, which takes anything up to 20 years to perfect,  and if the film is to be believed ' He fought his way out of a Thai prison ' 

He never fought anything, he made it all up! I was there. He spent the majority of his time conning his way into the hospital as he was a drug addict as well as a thief.

Lastly, I think a Thai prison is much more preferable to a Lao, Cambodia, Mexican or Colombian one for sure.

23 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Guys,

We have mentioned this subject before but the very poor subsidize income by doing laundry, cleaning, and other services and generally being ' lackeys ' for the richer prisoners, especially the poor Cambodians and Burmese.

It's a joke and the conditions are not fit for a wild animal

Archived