Farewell Chiang Mai, TBL has left the building.

thaibeachlovers

9 hours ago, EL159 said:

It really amuses me that some people think theyre so important that they have to announce their departure from here! You know what "TBL", nobody gives a flying f. !! Life goes on. I dont even know you so I certainly wont miss you ! Bye !

You, are a Barclays Banker.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, faraday said:

There's always somebody, who just has to post a negative comment.

Give it a rest.

I just stated facts , I didnt suggest that it was a negative thing .

You was the one who suggested that the actions are negative 

And you forgot to mention the horrendous traffic and air quality. There does not seem to be anything in the way of traffic mitigation being done. The city keep growing, more and more people are getting new cars and trucks, and the roads do not seem to be able to handle all of that growth. I like CM. But for those two reasons alone, do not think I could live there. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, sanemax said:

How many pavements did you tread on that "collapsed"?

The unused telephone boxes were removed a few years ago, although some they missed out still remain .

How do you know that the drains were not properly cleansed ?

Heavy rains happen in the moonsoon , some roads flood for a while and all the water goes within 30 minutes .

I didn't say which pavements I trod, and the ones I used are indeed collapsing, and blocked by unused telephone boxes, but obviously you haven't been on that road. C M is big enough that you won't have been everywhere, man.

I know the drains weren't cleaned, because I can look in them and see that they are full to the top with dirt. How else would I be able to know that?

Heavy rains happen in the moonsoon , some roads flood for a while and all the water goes within 30 minutes .

I think I learned that about 30 years ago. If the drains are blocked, the floods last longer.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, BernieOnTour said:

I lived in Pattaya more than a year, and living now in CM some 24 months ...

I do not know, in which area you lived in CM - however with regard to the inner city and Nimman - I see that quite the opposite!

IMO, CM is far cleaner and far better maintained.

Flooding? - Yes, a little bit after heavy downpours, but not to the extent of Pattaya, where you have to wade though hip-high water in some Sois and one the main traffic arteries - Beach Road - constantly changing to "Beach River".

Concerts - maybe not in Old Town or Hangdong 555 - but there are a lot of concerts and a very lively music scene for all tastes, e.g. on that open area behind Duangtawan in Nimman.

And at least in the inner city (the outer areas, I confess, committees are controlled  by the developers) city planning is far superior to Pattaya, e.g. zoning with limited building heights in Old Town and general planning. A superior traffic concept like the 3 ring roads in CM - impossible in Pattaya, because only greed controls their decisions ... I still remember the terrible f..k up, when they built just 1 tunnel on Sukhumvit.

First quote is nothing to do with the second. Pattaya infrastructure is no better and often worse than C M, though both are bad.

Pattaya does put on a lot more public entertainment than C M. I was struck by how little C M did for new year, compared to Pattaya.

I lived in Pattaya for over a year, and likewise in C M.

Where Pattaya is far superior to C M is in the baht buses. It's sometimes difficult to find drivers that will take the minimum fare of 30 baht, while in Pattaya, most of the places I went were on the 10 baht route.

C M has a wonderful asset with the river and it could be developed with a  nice walkway and parks along it, but they have done nothing. Phayao proves that it could be done by a decent council that cares. Sadly, C M council does little to develop public resources.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I do not know, in which area you lived in CM - however with regard to the inner city and Nimman - I see that quite the opposite!

I lived off Loi Kroh.

I visited Grace dentist so had some experience of the Nimman area. Seems to be a lot of development in that area. Not so in the night market area.

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Oh dear, you dislike me so much that you just HAD to come on here and make some totally erroneous claims to try and disparage me.

I disagreed with what you said , why did you take it personally ?

I do think that you require a bit of companionship, love and affection .

"So sorry to upset you , I dont dislike you , you are a very nice guy and apologies if I upset you "

• Like 1

Real busses are only 6.5 in BKK, and quite a few run 24 hours.  That is for non-airconditioned but if you have been in aircon all day, it feels good.  And you get an actual seat.  BTS and MRT are uncivilized for about 7 hours per day....so dont underestimate the value of living on good bus lines vs. near the rails....and it is a lot cheaper, not that any of us have to maintain budgets...lol.

Edited by moontang
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I disagreed with what you said , why did you take it personally ?

I do think that you require a bit of companionship, love and affection .

"So sorry to upset you , I dont dislike you , you are a very nice guy and apologies if I upset you "

I have edited the post to which you refer.

Have a nice day.

39 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I know the drains weren't cleaned, because I can look in them and see that they are full to the top with dirt. How else would I be able to know that?

Tell me exactly where that drain was and I will go and have a look now and take a photo of it and post it on here to see whether the drain really was full to the top with dirt .

Name the exact location and I will go now and be back withing an hour

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, moontang said:

Real busses are only 6.5 in BKK, and quite a few run 24 hours.  That is for non-airconditioned but if you have been in aircon all day, it feels good.  And you get an actual seat.  BTS and MRT are uncivilized for about 7 hours per day....so dont underestimate the value of living on good bus lines vs. near the rails....and it is a lot cheaper, not that any of us have to maintain budgets...lol.

Real buses in BKK take hours to go anywhere and with no a/c and window down are absolutely disgusting.

I've never been on one and never will....

27 minutes ago, moontang said:

Disagree. I think the BTS and the MRT are the best thing since sliced bread. Even when they are crowded, they are fast and efficient. And reasonable. A truly great system. World class public transport. Compare them to the BART in the SF area. There are daily stabbings and robberies, it is filthy, urine stench everywhere, and costly. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I liked going on them as it gave me a view of life for the ordinary people in LOS. IMO, the really interesting side of LOS was with the ordinary people. The wealthy people that would never have been on a non AC bus were too much like western people to be interesting to me. Same reason I never flew domestic if I could take the train or the bus.

The overnight sleepers are ok in Thailand, however as much as i admire you for wanting to experience the locals aspect of life, for me i don't do buses.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I liked going on them as it gave me a view of life for the ordinary people in LOS. IMO, the really interesting side of LOS was with the ordinary people. The wealthy people that would never have been on a non AC bus were too much like western people to be interesting to me. Same reason I never flew domestic if I could take the train or the bus.

My dad used to drive home from work in an unairconditioned car with the windows down in DC/VA.  The windowless computer room he spent the day in had false flooring and intense airconditioning blowing up it all day, it actually gave him a stiff neck.  I think there would be some surprises on who rides the cheap busses, a few out of necessity, but quite a few don't care and some, who dont even want to ride with those, who think they are too good for the non-ac bus.  Probably easier to avoid Legionella on the non-ac bus.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You're wrong,

I've enjoyed TBLs posts, and I give a flying f that he's departing the country.

On the other hand, who are you?

TBL seems to have spent the whole year trying to find a bar that sells three large cold Chang for 150 Baht , which are given individually and not all at the same time and to be given by a pretty young Uni girl who will sit with him for three hours whilst he drinks the beer

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

The overnight sleepers are ok in Thailand, however as much as i admire you for wanting to experience the locals aspect of life, for me i don't do buses.

The last sleeper I went on had a fire in the AC at 9pm, and we either had to go in 3rd class or wait 2 days as all the trains were fully booked. Worst trip I ever had in LOS. 3rd class is the pits. However, I have to respect the locals that do long trips in it. Not for those that need luxury or sleep.

When we got to Bkk, the refund people didn't know anything about it and I had to insist!. After much telephoning we got the difference between sleeper and 3rd class. I was told if I wanted a full refund I'd have to go back to C M.

Travel in LOS is never less than interesting.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Tell me exactly where that drain was and I will go and have a look now and take a photo of it and post it on here to see whether the drain really was full to the top with dirt .

Name the exact location and I will go now and be back withing an hour

TBL, where is that "full-up drain"?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

TBL seems to have spent the whole year trying to find a bar that sells three large cold Chang for 150 Baht , which are given individually and not all at the same time and to be given by a pretty young Uni girl who will sit with him for three hours whilst he drinks the beer

I gave you a pass on the last one, but you are taking the p*** now. I don't drink beer, and I have no interest in uni girls other than looking at them in MBK where they wear the shortest and tightest possible skirts with a shirt 3 sizes too small. Young girls are trouble at the best of times, and best avoided.