filter for raining water

SEO

no,it's not for drinking water,just shower.I've been using this well and the raining water for longtime

,just with sand filter,no problems.But I need to rent my house and people ask for filter.I'd like something out of chemy.

I doubt there's much in the rain water that would cause issues to anyone showering (or, in reality, drinking).

With no pump you're not going to get much of a shower and any decent filter will need a pump to get sensible flow, time to buy a small pump.

To give peace of mind to your renters I would install one of the blue in-line filters with a ceramic filter element (they usually come with a polypropylene element so you buy the ceramic one separately) between the pump and the house. Retain your sand filter as well.

One of these:- https://www.homepro.co.th/product/56513

56513.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are going to have problems if you are installing for tenants,

doubt they will look after the filters and change them when

required,which could be often if using well water and using

it for showering.

regards worgeordie

• Like 2

On 8/1/2018 at 7:29 AM, SEO said:

ok thanks for the recomandation,but do you think it will slow down the flow?

All filters will reduce the flow somewhat.

What is the height above ground of your tank, does it provide sufficient flow/pressure to shower, do you have a water heater?

On 8/1/2018 at 5:07 AM, Dante99 said:

asbestos if it is collected off an old roof

the chance are if your collecting rain water for showering the chances are the OP has an old roof cos it seems to me he ant got a pot to pee in. :sorry:

• Haha 1

On 7/31/2018 at 3:46 AM, Pond Life said:

I use a Britta filter jug, tastes great.

I live out in the countryside, I wouldn't do it in the city.

In 2014 the NATURAL NEWS FORENSIC FOOD LAB tested a bunch of filters. Brita came out the worst. It only removed about 12% of arsenic, 14% of lead...and it actually ADDED about 34% aluminum to the water. It's been well known all over the western world for some time just how poor the Brita filter is, and that it adds aluminum to the water. Just sayin'. I don't know if they have improved the filter in the last little while or not.

i let it rain a bit first to clean out any particles, than catch it from my shades, filter it through a cotton cloth and that is it. I use that, i am still alive thank you, and great for making coffee and bread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, catman20 said:

the chance are if your collecting rain water for showering the chances are the OP has an old roof cos it seems to me he ant got a pot to pee in. :sorry:

Rubbish! I used rainwater for years and drank it. Not because I didn't have 'pot to piss in' but because we didn't have mains water.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, SEO said:

yes the tanks are approximately 10m above,maybe a bit more(hill).

With no pump you will have a flow loss. It's 10m up , so it means you have a pressure of just 1 bar. You already have a sandfilter (is it in the water supply towards the tank?), adding an additional filter (filter from tank to house?) will cost you flow.

Additional aswell the level in the tank influences the flow. The less higher the level is the less flow and then with filters inline your flow is going down.

The filters have a drop loss and is influenced by the material you use and the holes (how much micron the filter is) in the filter. Ofcourse depending on how dirty your water is and on how big particles you want to filter, the filter will get dirty fast or not, depending on particle pollutants. Thats with filters inline from the tank.

I dont know how water is getting into the tank , otherwise it would be wise to filter it before getting into the tank. 

Bit paranoid to filter rain water for showering  me thinks. Asbestos in the water is basically harmless

It is dry particles in the air you don't want to breath as well as the kind used here (yes, still used here)

is nowhere as dangerous as in Australia (One is white , one is grey but cannot remember which way around

I double filter my town supply for drinking .3 & then .1 micron. Tastes good & no one ever got sick.

In Thailand we use bore water for showering etc and buy water for drinking. MIL use rainwater for cooking.  In OZ  we use rainwater for everything except toilet. That is on bore water.  Amazing how water a toilet uses. 

For the rainwater we have s first flush diverted.  It's a pvc pipe with a plastic ball in it.  When it rains the water goes into the pvc pipe and slowly drains out.  At the same time the ball floats on the water in the pipe until it rises against a seat and blocks the flow.  The water then overflows to the tanks.  This allows all the accumulated crap from the roof to go to waste and not into the tank.  When it stops eating the pipe slowly drains and the ball ends up at the bottom eventually..... waiting for the next rain. I've been drinking this water for twenty years - no filters or anything fancy at all. 

5 hours ago, rozand said:

i let it rain a bit first to clean out any particles, than catch it from my shades, filter it through a cotton cloth and that is it. I use that, i am still alive thank you, and great for making coffee and bread.

Same for me for several years. Only that I don't drink it.

Tank is 5M higher and despite filtering the pressure is sufficient for shower (including heater mechanical switch) and laundry machine valve.

2 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I have 2 tanks for collecting rain water for the past 8 years....use for everything except drinking. Never occurred to me to filter it....why would one need to?

I filter it again debris (dead insects, lizards or snails, leaves residues..)

5 hours ago, Gandtee said:

Rubbish! I used rainwater for years and drank it. Not because I didn't have 'pot to piss in' but because we didn't have mains water.

well if u had a pot to piss in u would not live in the jungle where there is no mains water. your be telling me next u have candles for lighting. sounds like i hit a nerve.  :cheesy:

Edited by catman20

3 hours ago, catman20 said:

well if u had a pot to piss in u would not live in the jungle where there is no mains water. your be telling me next u have candles for lighting. sounds like i hit a nerve.  :cheesy:

I have many pots to piss in and prefer to live where there is no mains water. Both in Thailand and in Canada. It's called country living.

• Like 1