BBC says Thailand asks UK to extradite Yingluck

webfact

2 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

they don't want to waste hundreds of thousands on pricey UK barristers, 

Politicians say that there is limit to cash and they don't want to waste money but in actuality if they wanted something for sure that cost whatever amount they would do it. Luckily politicians don't need money to breathe otherwise they would just create it as they needed too. It's more used as an excuse to say we are bored and would rather sit at our desks and play Angry birds.

5 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

Won't happen, as the UK does not extradite democratically elected leaders who are toppled in a coup to the instigators of said coup...especially a military junta. The junta are just asking to make it look good so they can claim they have tried and that it's not their fault, case closed...move along. The UK can't even get round to extraditing ISIS fighters, murderers etc. out of the country.

I think you are right, almost certainly so; but one can never be certain what the courts may do, and the current atmosphere surrounding foreigners residing in the UK is certainly somewhat febrile... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jayboy said:

The letter concludes that if the British avail themselves of this provision, the Thais will reciprocate when receiving a British request that doesn't meet the stated criteria of the Treaty.

Yes, I too read it as "You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours". It's just right now, I don't see any high-profile British ne'erdowells camping out publicly in Thailand while jet-setting around the world, upsetting the (democratically elected) British government.

• Like 1

Here is a question.

In order to begin the process of extradition from the UK, does a foreign country ...

a) have its embassy send a request letter to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office?

b) engage a legal team to begin court proceedings?

My point being, is this a real attempt at extradition? Or some zany non-attempt?

Maybe a buy one get one free deal. Get Yingluck for 3 billion and we'll throw in Julian.

But in all seriousness,  I'm not sure how Julian Assange must be feeling?  I'm sure I would rather be dead in his situation .  Maybe he regrets his actions. They still want to torture him.

As for Yingluck, her only crime being rich and pretty. 

• Sad 1