BBC says Thailand asks UK to extradite Yingluck

webfact

18 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

BS. Had they been ordinary somchais without the money these two have, they'd been kicked out long time ago.

Exactly. Any Somchai/Somphong/Sommai wife-beater/wife-killer would be out on his ear in no time.

Edited by varun
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yingluk in a Thai jail is a much bigger headache for the Junta than her out of sight out of mind abroad. Thai authorities are doing it for show.

And the UK does not extradite people to countries run by the army who has forcibly takes over the government from a democratically elected government in an illegal coup.

That the Junta sees itself as having the legitimacy to even request this provides a window into the minds of the generals.

So true their 3 rd gen Ancestors would have shot them.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

3 hours ago, BobBKK said:

"Indeed. Removed by a Court for an illegal abuse of power."

what utter nonsense 

Pray tell me why that is nonsense.

On 7 May 2014, the Constitutional Court of Thailand removed Yingluck Shinawatra from the office of caretaker prime ministerand defence minister following months of political crisis. The court found her guilty of charges of abuse of power over the removal of national security chief Thawil Pliensri in 2011.

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:43 AM, Justgrazing said:

Not withstanding she was granted a 10 yr visa by UK only in May .. And how much are they prepared to put out , legal fee's in Brit' land are withering for this sort of scrap ..

It was not a visa for a permanent stay, but allowed her to stay 6months in the UK per year during a 10 year period - With other Words they can meet in the middle by combinate the visa and jail terms. 6 months in the UK and 6 months at Hilton BKK per year means she will finish her jailterm when the visa expire and she will be free as a bird and ready to focus on and to improve her rice business on a fulltime basis….:whistling:

Edited by ttrd

On 7/31/2018 at 3:48 AM, from the home of CC said:

Window dressing, Thailand doesn't want to create a martyr. Better to stay outta sight outta mind.

I have to agree, the junta would really not have her speak to the Thai public. I'm not so sure the English government feels that the junta represents the rightful government of Thailand either, in which case they may feel any request made by the junta is mute until such time an official election has been held.

2 hours ago, chama said:

I have to agree, the junta would really not have her speak to the Thai public. I'm not so sure the English government feels that the junta represents the rightful government of Thailand either, in which case they may feel any request made by the junta is mute until such time an official election has been held.

Beware of Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. It's the British government.

Edited by Jonmarleesco

""OFFICIAL GUIDELINES to prevent the torture and abuse of people in custody are being drawn up as part of a joint operation between the Thai Justice Ministry and the Association for the Prevention of Torture (APT), an international NGO.

"The Thai Embassy in London has submitted a request to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office of the British government for the extradition of fugitive former prime minister Yingluck Shinawatra to serve her five-year jail term handed down by the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Persons Holding Political Positions "

Two headlines, which when considered together rather point to the extradition request being refused...

• Like 1

This won’t happen, she only has to say her life will be in danger if she is returned to Thailand and that will be the end of it, England is full of murderers and terrorists from far flung Countries, they only have to say, what about my human rights and the British Government say, that’s OK you can stay, we’ll give you a free house and a monthly income !

45 minutes ago, Booboo101 said:

This won’t happen, she only has to say her life will be in danger if she is returned to Thailand and that will be the end of it, England is full of murderers and terrorists from far flung Countries, they only have to say, what about my human rights and the British Government say, that’s OK you can stay, we’ll give you a free house and a monthly income !

I somehow doubt she is dividing her time between the DSS and her local Council's homeless unit, desperately trying to claw back the bus fares. From Knightsbridge.

I might be wrong, but somehow I don't think so...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/31/2018 at 2:15 PM, webfact said:

The embassy also asked that its request be “kept strictly confidential

Well that part failed miserably . 

15 hours ago, Vacuum said:

BS. Had they been ordinary somchais without the money these two have, they'd been kicked out long time ago.

Ordinary Somchais don't get elected PM nor have to undergo political trials. You need to read up more.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2018 at 2:43 PM, Justgrazing said:

Not withstanding she was granted a 10 yr visa by UK only in May .. And how much are they prepared to put out , legal fee's in Brit' land are withering for this sort of scrap ..

They will consider the request made by Thailand and then find a reason to reject it. Of course it will all be politically correct but the end result will be the same i.e. sorry but wont extradite her back to Thailand

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 2:26 PM, BestB said:

This is going to be interesting .

Shouid UK refuse, then Thailand would be refusing in the future.

Shoud UK refuse on political grounds , UK will need to issue her with asylum visa and for her to prove her position. 

I thought that she bought British citizenship

The authorities here don't seem to have a clue how extradition works in the UK

Thailand, being a category 2 territory, the bones of the procedure is:

Requests from these territories need decisions by both the Secretary of State and the courts.

The extradition process to these territories follows these steps:

• extradition request is made to the Secretary of State
  • Secretary of State decides whether to certify the request
  • judge decides whether to issue a warrant for arrest
  • the person wanted is arrested and brought before the court
  • preliminary hearing
  • extradition hearing
  • Secretary of State decides whether to order extradition

Should it ever get to an 'extradition hearing' :

The judge must be satisfied that the conduct amounts to an extradition offence (dual criminality), none of the bars to extradition apply, where applicable, there is prima facie evidence of guilt (in accusation cases), and whether extradition would breach the person’s human rights.

'Dual criminality' means the offence has to be a criminal offence in the country requested for extradition.

All the details are freely available.  I wonder if anyone in authority has checked the futility of it all.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/extradition-processes-and-review#extradition-from-the-uk-category-2-territories

5 hours ago, HHTel said:

The authorities here don't seem to have a clue how extradition works in the UK

Thailand, being a category 2 territory, the bones of the procedure is:

Should it ever get to an 'extradition hearing' :

'Dual criminality' means the offence has to be a criminal offence in the country requested for extradition.

All the details are freely available.  I wonder if anyone in authority has checked the futility of it all.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/extradition-processes-and-review#extradition-from-the-uk-category-2-territories

Yes,it may be futile but that is not the point as this sort of stuff is for domestic consumption only.

They get a two for one propaganda "hit" for their activity..

Naughty Yingluck, et al,

Naughty UK for denying the request as well.

(But the mighty Shangri-Larians, source of hope and a shining beacon for the whole planet-will prevail in the  end)?

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:36 PM, Baerboxer said:

Actually she was there for most of her trial. Just legged it before the verdict.

Your not really there in a Kangaroo Court. But u knew that BB.

What is the outcome to the rice that was held in warehouses, not your factual delivery but the outcome that is a real one?

On ‎8‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:32 PM, Baerboxer said:

She was correctly found guilty. But as usual running off, a family trait, is permitted. Her case was selectively progressed but that doesn't make her innocent.

So what was the outcome of the forensic audit of the warehouses; ah it wasn't done. So why was this court case fast tracked compared with normal trial cases in Thailand? But u knew all this BB.

BB from your posts I am reading u way in over your head leading with right wing diatribe over a legal matter that you have applied little investigation into or have no understanding to a legal process.

As Hun Sen said after winning the election:

"Thank you, dear compatriots, for casting your votes today! You did choose the democratic way and used your right as stipulated in the constitution, the supreme law of the country," he said after the vote, according to Cambodian state media.
Cambodia has been a nominal democracy since 1993, following decades of war and conflict.
"A victory without a contest is a hollow one," exiled opposition leader Sam Rainsy said in a Facebook post Sunday. "For the first time in the 25 years since the elections organized by the United Nations in 1993, Cambodia lacks a legitimate government recognized by the international community ... Denied a real choice, the vast majority of the Cambodian people have refused to participate in this sham election." CNN July 30 2018.
When I read your posts I am reminded of what has happened in Cambodia.