Things that happen by magic in Thailand

Kinnock

Similar experiences except for number 8 !

When I’m watching a movie and go for a pee, or to get something from the kitchen, when I come back the language has magically changed from English to Thai [emoji848][emoji848][emoji848]

And my cleaning fairies seem to be on strike !!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, catman20 said:

yes agree with you 100%

Well, I am sure James Carabatsos meant well writing it, as did the US Marines in adopting it, not  sure Bear Grylls appreciated its reference to frustrated masturbation using his face, but they all forgot Observe and Analyze; without which Improvise, Adapt and Overcome can be costly mistakes.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

My girl handles pretty much everything household, and is also my taxi on demand, or any task that is a 2 minute job for her and a headache for me.  She's low maintenance, and doesn't smother me, but is always near by at a moments notice (except on Buddha days, her business delivery days, or village funerals etc).  Exactly the way I like most.  She says "Can I go BBQ with my friends to XYZ?", I say "You have more than enough money still don't you, I don't control you, you don't need to ask permission from anyone".  So long as we both tag team periodically to update and adjust plans then we make a good team.  It's almost sounds like a business arrangement doesn't it?  I suppose it is, but with other benefits of each of us having someone looking out for the best interests of the other.  My only job is to make sure financed are available, which does take a lot of time and study to build, but I enjoy that so no drama. 

She's not a particularly big spender, but still has a couple of items on her bucket list.  House being one.  The issue there is not "Thai wants free house then fob me off", it's that she's content with the typical single skin concrete baking oven with all the usual quality issues that really rag me.  I want something pretty special and am prepared to pay for it, but I don't see it.  Some are something like, but at about 3x what I could get it done for with my own friends and hired crew, even if I had to fly them there, tool up, buy  a truck on site, and take care of all their living expenses plus salary.  My girl wants a 'walk in' ready to go and has the bar set very modest.  I guess if everything was perfect you wouldn't realise what you've got.

• Like 2

Nothing in life is free... (have you checked your bank accounts lately? lol)

(and before the Thai-girl-haters get going - they only cost me actual cost with no commission added - except for some mysterious expenses related to on-line clothes buying).

PS - Im not a Thai girl hater either Im happily married to a Thai woman and have been with the same woman for 15 years. Experience tells me this is a common misconception that things in life are free.. there is ALWAYS a price to pay one way or another. You just maybe haven't been presented with it yet.

Plus, I hardly ever watch TV its a waste of life. Each to their own though.

Edited by NightSky
  • Like 1

I have the same Magic going on in my house to, except my self filling refrigerator knows what my favourite beer is, and the food I like to eat.

Strange things also seem to happen come Visa Extension Time. When the time comes all my forms are filled out and all information provided including photos I didn't even know I had. 

Nice to have some Magic in ones life.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Shiver said:

My girl handles pretty much everything household, and is also my taxi on demand, or any task that is a 2 minute job for her and a headache for me.  She's low maintenance, and doesn't smother me, but is always near by at a moments notice (except on Buddha days, her business delivery days, or village funerals etc).  Exactly the way I like most.  She says "Can I go BBQ with my friends to XYZ?", I say "You have more than enough money still don't you, I don't control you, you don't need to ask permission from anyone".  So long as we both tag team periodically to update and adjust plans then we make a good team.  It's almost sounds like a business arrangement doesn't it?  I suppose it is, but with other benefits of each of us having someone looking out for the best interests of the other.  My only job is to make sure financed are available, which does take a lot of time and study to build, but I enjoy that so no drama. 

She's not a particularly big spender, but still has a couple of items on her bucket list.  House being one.  The issue there is not "Thai wants free house then fob me off", it's that she's content with the typical single skin concrete baking oven with all the usual quality issues that really rag me.  I want something pretty special and am prepared to pay for it, but I don't see it.  Some are something like, but at about 3x what I could get it done for with my own friends and hired crew, even if I had to fly them there, tool up, buy  a truck on site, and take care of all their living expenses plus salary.  My girl wants a 'walk in' ready to go and has the bar set very modest.  I guess if everything was perfect you wouldn't realise what you've got.

Shiver take it from me use Theramlite bricks they call then q core for the house the difference is amazing,i used them on all external wall's of my house.I don't envy you on the list of stressfull situations,building a house here has got to be top,to date i reckon i have spent 5 million baht,big house with a swimming pool,by the time it is furnished and the garden done it will be around 6 mil,but put it this way a fraction of the cost of building the same house in a western country of this standard.Also you have to constantly check the build,i actually own a smaller house opposite,so i watched them like a hawk,it drove me to the edge of insanity,but thank God the end is now in sight,only the wall and garden left.

Shiver few other tips,i liked your post my wife is much the same,yes i pay her a monthly allowance but she has handled everything from the land office,ampur,water and electric boards,helps me at immigration,and as you say we are both there for each other.

Re the house,get a tiled roof high pitch,sisalation a must under the tiles,insulation on the ceiling,plastered ceiling,not those tile things, my ceiling are about 3.5 metre's high,main living room is 6 metre ceiling,try to align sliding doors windows opposite each other to get a through breeze,just a few thoughts.

13 hours ago, RocketDog said:

I agree most strongly with the self-reliance posts but I generally let my Thai lady partner handle things that occur regularly.. I also endorse the Observe and Analyze approach with new situations..

I have sometimes found that blindly leaving things to her gets them done wrong/late/unfinished/too costly. She tends to rely on advice from uninformed fellow Thai too easily.

When a new situation arises that I am ignorant about, I let her handle it but observe and question whatever information/solution she translates to me. Too often it turns out that the solution gets beneficially altered by my simple questions or suggestions. Something along the lines of :"well sure, I never thought of that. Sure we could do it that way.. Good idea!"

At least they are willing to listen.

On the other hand there have been situations where my questions and resulting translations have proven that the Thai proposal is indeed the best one.. I immediately retract my statements and apologize for my ignorance.. Much the same as I would do at home but without the laborious (and annoyance of my lady) translations and explanations. Invariably however I learn something new that stands me in good stead in the future.

There is a third category of situations in which I don't care much how issues are resolved as long as the cost is acceptable. In that case my lady saves me grinding stomach and headaches.

What I am sure of though is that having her by my side imparts a confidence that we together can handle whatever Thailand throws at us. For that I am very thankful.

Having her not only by your side, but on your side, is key. My wife is not Thai; however, she  manages to solve most of the issues encountered by living in Thailand. I find when I follow her advice, there is less hassle than with some of the decisions I would have made.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Shiver take it from me use Theramlite bricks they call then q core for the house the difference is amazing,i used them on all external wall's of my house.I don't envy you on the list of stressfull situations,building a house here has got to be top,to date i reckon i have spent 5 million baht,big house with a swimming pool,by the time it is furnished and the garden done it will be around 6 mil,but put it this way a fraction of the cost of building the same house in a western country of this standard.Also you have to constantly check the build,i actually own a smaller house opposite,so i watched them like a hawk,it drove me to the edge of insanity,but thank God the end is now in sight,only the wall and garden left.

I have one friend that is *still* building (or getting done for him) a house, and he's really pedantic about doing things the right way.  It has cost him enormous stress and recommends against doing what he did.  It's still the average house at the end of the day, and I am sure that there'll come a point where he gets rid of them and does it himself, but he still has to work, so one costs the other.  There are so many interesting materials out there, but I shudder at the logistics and tax implications.

Brick is fine (especially thermally useful).  I'd like double skin, but I'm told that can have all kinds of nasties living in there if you don't seal it well, and I would have thought you have to let it breathe somewhere.  I have a local friend that has designed all his own, got a crew that (finally) he can rely on as much as can be expected here, and is hands on.  They're all done well, but with local materials.

While nobody wants to pay more than they have to, I'm not particularly cash sensitive, and if I'm going to live there, I want the environment to be something I'm not picking at all the time.  For sure once it's done I'll be wishing I'd done this and that differently, but then that I guess is how we learn.  It doesn't *have* to be the last build.

3 hours ago, marko kok prong said:

Shiver few other tips,i liked your post my wife is much the same,yes i pay her a monthly allowance but she has handled everything from the land office,ampur,water and electric boards,helps me at immigration,and as you say we are both there for each other.

Re the house,get a tiled roof high pitch,sisalation a must under the tiles,insulation on the ceiling,plastered ceiling,not those tile things, my ceiling are about 3.5 metre's high,main living room is 6 metre ceiling,try to align sliding doors windows opposite each other to get a through breeze,just a few thoughts.

Much appreciated.  I'll bear those in mind, especially the door and window alignment.  I was planning a kind of venturi effect to do something similar, but depending on the land it might not be appropriate.  High ceilings I like too.  Maybe put the bedrooms downstairs if it's big enough, a bit like an atrium.