Isoc steps in over Phuket marine safety

webfact

Isoc steps in over Phuket marine safety

By The Phuket News

1533039120_1-org.jpg

Phuket Governor Norraphat Plodthong (left) inspects a catamaran ready to depart Chalong Pier yesterday (July 30). Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET: The Phuket branch of the Internal Security Operations Command (Isoc), which serves as the the political arm of the Thai military, today (July 31) stepped in and formally became involved in improving tour boat safety in Phuket.

At a meeting at Phuket Provincial Hall chaired by Phuket Governor Norraphat Plodthong, it was explained that Isoc will set up guidelines for action to organise tourism businesses in Phuket “for stability of the country”.

Present were R/Adm Boworn Mattawanukul, Deputy Director of the Isoc branch in Phuket, as well as Phuket Vice Governor Snith Sriwihok, Phuket Provincial Police Commander Maj Gen Teeraphol Thipcharoen, the heads of every relevant government agency in Phuket and representatives of tour businesses and operators of the major tour boat piers in Phuket.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/isoc-steps-in-over-phuket-marine-safety-68071.php#5thfUVJXTUtUM6mE.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-08-01

Once again we are faced with the situation where the police and the office responsible, the marine department, are found lacking and cant do their job properly. And the army gets involved in something way beyond its remit.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stevenl said:

We have had boat checks by marine department from Phuket, Phang Nga, Bangkok, navy, tourist police and now Isoc, all coming with different instructions.

Maybe first come with one rulebook before having somebody else step in again?

they have to find it, dust it up and read it first....we all have hope.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

We have had boat checks by marine department from Phuket, Phang Nga, Bangkok, navy, tourist police and now Isoc, all coming with different instructions.

Maybe first come with one rulebook before having somebody else step in again?

One rulebook which each agency that 'sticks its oar in' (pun intended) will interpret the rules completely differently.

As an example, I'm sure there are a lot of people who have have been to different branches of the same bank, requesting to open an account, until they got the answer they wanted. I certainly have.

• Like 2

Rule book is a great idea, how come they have managed without one? Maybe it would be effective & they could write one for the roads too? Or as in most things Thai, they will spend stupid amounts of money in not complying with common sense rules that would save so many parties at the wat....party!!

The equipment inside boats and the equipment on board must be ready to use. The passengers must be checked and we must have some record to identify them by face, including information such as their names, nationalities, their place of accommodation and their destination."
Phuketnews

It seems they have a new rule book which stops just short of the electronic wristbands that have been mooted for tourists.

First they need to know how to make proper regulations for safety at sea. This has already been done all over the world. 

Can check "Transport Canada" website for example. Does Thailand have a "Transport Thailand?".

Secondly one needs the people qualified to enforce these regulations.

I'll pass on a boat ride here, thanks.

Edited by 300sd

1 hour ago, 300sd said:

First they need to know how to make proper regulations for safety at sea. This has already been done all over the world. 

Can check "Transport Canada" website for example. Does Thailand have a "Transport Thailand?".

Secondly one needs the people qualified to enforce these regulations.

I'll pass on a boat ride here, thanks.

After a few unpleasant experiences  when departing from Ao Nang and Krabi years back, my wife will never get on another boat in her own country. It's a shame really.

15 hours ago, webfact said:

The Phuket branch of the Internal Security Operations Command (Isoc), which serves as the the political arm of the Thai military

"serves as the political arm of the military"

How often we have heard, especially from Prayut, that the military is not political and it was for that reason that the military was not included in Prayut's 20-year national reforms?

Prayut has belittled and blamed for the country’s problems and conflicts because of politicians.

It was only in January 2018 that Prayut declared, “I am no longer a soldier. Understood? I’m just a politician who used to be a soldier. I still have a soldier’s traits,” http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30335332

Now we have an open admission that the Thai military does involve itself in politics.

Not that anyone would be shocked but rarely, if at all, has the military declared openly any of its activities as such and setting itself as above political agendas.

9 hours ago, Srikcir said:

"serves as the political arm of the military"

How often we have heard, especially from Prayut, that the military is not political and it was for that reason that the military was not included in Prayut's 20-year national reforms?

Prayut has belittled and blamed for the country’s problems and conflicts because of politicians.

It was only in January 2018 that Prayut declared, “I am no longer a soldier. Understood? I’m just a politician who used to be a soldier. I still have a soldier’s traits,” http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/politics/30335332

Now we have an open admission that the Thai military does involve itself in politics.

Not that anyone would be shocked but rarely, if at all, has the military declared openly any of its activities as such and setting itself as above political agendas.

No. It was a journalist statement, not anything from Isoc or the military.