U.S. prosecutors tell jury ex-Trump campaign chief Manafort hid wealth

webfact

U.S. prosecutors tell jury ex-Trump campaign chief Manafort hid wealth

By Nathan Layne, Sarah N. Lynch and Karen Freifeld

2018-07-31T185300Z_1_LYNXMPEE6U1FH_RTROPTP_4_USA-TRUMP-RUSSIA-MANAFORT.JPG

Former Trump campaign manager Paul Manafort is shown in a court room sketch, as he sits in federal court on the opening day of his trial on bank and tax fraud charges stemming from Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into Russian meddling in the 2016 U.S. presidential election, in Alexandria, Virginia, U.S. July 31, 2018. REUTERS/Bill Hennessy

ALEXANDRIA, Va. (Reuters) - U.S. prosecutors on Tuesday portrayed President Donald Trump's onetime campaign chairman Paul Manafort as someone who hid his wealth from political work in Ukraine, as the first trial began arising from an investigation of Russia's interference in the 2016 U.S. election.

Manafort felt tax and banking laws did not apply to him, a prosecutor said in the government's opening statement, telling the Virginia federal court jury he opened more than 30 bank accounts in three foreign countries to "receive and hide" income.

A defence lawyer painted a drastically different portrait of Manafort and made clear he will go after one of the government's star witnesses, former Manafort associate Rick Gates. Gates pleaded guilty in February to conspiring against the United States and lying to investigators and agreed to cooperate with the investigation.

"This case is about taxes and trust," Manafort's attorney Thomas Zehnle told jurors in his opening statement. "His trust in Rick Gates was misplaced," Zehnle said, accusing Gates of embezzling millions of dollars from Manafort.

He asked Manafort to stand up and face the jury, calling him "a good man" and a talented political consultant.

Manafort has pleaded not guilty to all 18 criminal counts, which centre on allegations that he hid much of the $60 million (45.70 million pounds)

he earned in Ukraine in undisclosed overseas bank accounts and failed to pay taxes on it.

"A man in this courtroom believed the law did not apply to him. Not tax, not banking law," said prosecutor Uzo Asonye, a member of U.S. Special Counsel Robert Mueller's team looking at Russian election meddling and whether any Trump campaign members coordinated with Moscow officials.

The government's first witness following opening statements was Tad Devine, who recalled his work with Manafort in Ukraine to help pro-Russian political figure Viktor Yanukovych.

"It was a really incredible operation," Devine said of Manafort's work for Yanukovych, who became Ukraine's president in 2010, was removed from power four years later and lives in exile in Russia.

A Manafort conviction would give momentum to Mueller, who has indicted or secured guilty pleas from 32 people and three companies since the probe started 14 months ago. An acquittal would support efforts by Trump and his allies to portray the investigation as a "witch hunt."

Trump denies any campaign collusion with Russia, and on Tuesday tried to make the case publicly that collusion would not be a crime anyway.

Prosecutors have said they will not present evidence of collusion at this trial. The charges against Manafort largely pre-date his five months of work for the Trump campaign, some of them as campaign chairman.

Trump has vacillated between showing sympathy for Manafort and trying to distance himself. Manafort attended a June 2016 Trump Tower meeting with Russians that is a focal point of Mueller's probe.

EXTRAVAGANT LIFESTYLE

Earlier in the day, prosecutors and defence attorneys selected a 12-member jury to weigh Manafort's fate. Four alternate jurors, three women and one man, also were chosen.

Manafort, 69, was seated in the courtroom wearing a dark suit, white shirt and tie.

Asonye said Manafort set up more than 30 bank accounts in overseas countries and funnelled millions of dollars into them in order to bankroll an extravagant lifestyle. Asonye described how Manafort snapped up expensive real estate in the United States, spent millions of dollars on renovating his properties and more than a half million dollars on "fancy clothes."

Three other former Trump aides, including Gates, have already pleaded guilty and are cooperating with Mueller's probe.

Prosecutors are seeking to provide details of Manafort's work for a pro-Russian political party in Ukraine, raising the possibility that new information about his Russian connections could emerge. Manafort has filed a motion to have details of that work excluded from trial.

Mueller was appointed by the U.S. Justice Department's No. 2 official last year to take over an FBI investigation.

U.S. District Judge T.S. Ellis made several jokes during the jury selection process, including about the quality of the lunches jurors will be provided. While many in the courtroom laughed, including Manafort's lawyers, the defendant himself did not.

Manafort actively conferred with his lawyers during the jury selection process, writing and passing notes. Manafort's wife, Kathleen, was sitting behind him in the courtroom.

Outside the courthouse, a handful of protesters displayed a life-sized puppet of Trump and held signs saying "Trump won't do time for you," "It's Mueller time," and "I like your new suit" alongside a photo of Manafort's mug shot.

The Virginia trial will be followed by a second one in Washington in September in which Manafort is charged with money laundering, failing to register as a foreign agent and witness tampering. Manafort has pleaded not guilty to those charges.

(Reporting by Nathan Layne, Sarah N. Lynch and Karen Freifeld; Additional reporting by Lawrence Hurley, John Walcott; Writing by Warren Strobel; editing by Will Dunham and Grant McCool)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-08-01

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He asked Manafort to stand up and face the jury, calling him "a good man" and a talented political consultant.

Seems like Manafort's defense attorney opened the door for the prosecution to introduce evidence of Manafort's role in the Trump campaign.  The mention of Trump was previously limited by the Judge.

• Like 1

Of all his luxury items purchased as part of his scheme to launder Russo-Ukranian booty, my fav is the karaoke machine. Seems like he'll sing?

Indictment:  https://www.justice.gov/file/1007271/download

Indictment Details $18 Million Spending Spree By Paul Manafort

The special counsel’s indictment against New Britain favorite son Paul J. Manafort Jr. accuses him of expensive, complex and fraudulent financial transactions with an extraordinarily lucrative personal benefit: The acquisition of millions of dollars of luxury items for himself and his family.

He is accused of investing $6.5 million in homes in Manhattan and suburban Washington, DC. He sunk another $5.4 million or so into upgrades to a 10 bed, six-bath, 6,000-square-foot beach house in the Hamptons.

http://www.courant.com/politics/hc-paul-manafort-luxury-20171030-story.html

Edited by metisdead
Edited as per fair use policy.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

A defence lawyer painted a drastically different portrait of Manafort and made clear he will go after one of the government's star witnesses, former Manafort associate Rick Gates. Gates pleaded guilty in February to conspiring against the United States and lying to investigators and agreed to cooperate with the investigation.

"This case is about taxes and trust," Manafort's attorney Thomas Zehnle told jurors in his opening statement. "His trust in Rick Gates was misplaced," Zehnle said, accusing Gates of embezzling millions of dollars from Manafort.

Aw, poor Manafort. He was just duped by his underling Gates. It is the old "Squirrel!" defense of look over there! So Manafort is this political genius but yet is easily swayed by Gates? That is his defense? Looks like they think the jury will be gullible enough to believe it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Emster23 said:

Before Trump excuse makers start in on "doesn't show collusion, just income issues" may I remind our dear readers that it was tax violations that finally got Al Capone into prison.

and how does Manafort hiding money affect Trump?

Mueller is supposed to be investigating Russian collusion with the Trump Campaign, but this is of no relevance to Trump.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Mueller is supposed to be investigating Russian collusion with the Trump Campaign, but this is of no relevance to Trump.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-robert-mueller-prosecute-manafort-20180515-story.html#

• Like 1

Juror no. 3, resplendent in his red cap, heavily favoured by the defence during jury selection, was heard muttering, "Build the Wall," and, "no collusion" during the day's proceedings.

This is the only way Manafort the traitor will be found not guilty. It is entirely possible.

2 minutes ago, simple1 said:

The significant sentence in the article you quote.

Ellis had previously grilled Mueller's team on whether the case was within his mandate and questioned whether they brought the case to get Manafort to testify against Trump.

I do not doubt that Mueller can prosecute Manafort, but it's a long stretch to connect Manafort hiding money to Trump colluding with the Russians, no matter how much some posters wish that were so.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The significant sentence in the article you quote.

Ellis had previously grilled Mueller's team on whether the case was within his mandate and questioned whether they brought the case to get Manafort to testify against Trump.

I do not doubt that Mueller can prosecute Manafort, but it's a long stretch to connect Manafort hiding money to Trump colluding with the Russians, no matter how much some posters wish that were so.

From the linked article...

None of the charges against Manafort involve crimes related to Russian interference in the 2016 presidential campaign. 

So many of Trump's appointees & associated people have connections to Russians, many of those Russians are associated with allegations of criminality / financial crimes. Trump also has a background of association with illicit activities. Though it may not come to charges related to collusion against Trump, instinct tells me something is off at the core with Trump and will be exposed. For the sake of US stability I hope I am wrong, cause all indications are Trump would indulge in very damaging behaviour if impeachment processes commence.

• Like 1

Possibly related?

Trump Calls on Sessions to ‘Stop the Rigged Witch Hunt Right Now’

"President Trump called on Attorney General Jeff Sessions on Wednesday to end the special counsel investigation, an extraordinary appeal to the nation’s top law enforcement official to end an inquiry directly in to the president."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/01/us/politics/trump-sessions-russia-investigation.html

..This is a terrible situation and Attorney General Jeff Sessions should stop this Rigged Witch Hunt right now, before it continues to stain our country any further. Bob Mueller is totally conflicted, and his 17 Angry Democrats that are doing his dirty work are a disgrace to USA!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, simple1 said:

From the linked article...

None of the charges against Manafort involve crimes related to Russian interference in the 2016 presidential campaign. 

So many of Trump's appointees & associated people have connections to Russians, many of those Russians are associated with allegations of criminality / financial crimes. Trump also has a background of association with illicit activities. Though it may not come to charges related to collusion against Trump, instinct tells me something is off at the core with Trump and will be exposed. For the sake of US stability I hope I am wrong, cause all indications are Trump would indulge in very damaging behaviour if impeachment processes commence.

I wouldn't be concerned so much at what Trump can do if impeached ( and I'm sure he can make it very uncomfortable for a lot of the elites, with whom he has been associating for decades ), I'd be more concerned about what his base will do if he is impeached and convicted. None of them will be particularly concerned about the niceties of law, when it is apparent that it is a stitch up ( to them ). Think antifa is bad? You ain't seen anything yet!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

You’ve taken part in a number of discussions in which the scope of Mueller’s investigation has been explained to you.

Now you come back with yet another statement in which you deny knowledge of Mueller’s extensive remit.

It’s pointless trying to explain anything to you that you have demonstrated no interest in accepting.

I suggest you stop making personal remarks about me. The topic isn't about me.

Your opinion regarding whatever I accept or not is of no relevance as to the topic, and nothing to do with you, unless I made a personal comment about you.

It may not occur to you, but this is an open forum and ideas that do not conform to your preferences are permitted.

• Confused 1

58 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I wouldn't be concerned so much at what Trump can do if impeached ( and I'm sure he can make it very uncomfortable for a lot of the elites, with whom he has been associating for decades ), I'd be more concerned about what his base will do if he is impeached and convicted. None of them will be particularly concerned about the niceties of law, when it is apparent that it is a stitch up ( to them ). Think antifa is bad? You ain't seen anything yet!

Precisely to what I was alluding to, Trump will stir the pot with his base. Finally can agree with something you post

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'd be more concerned about what his base will do if he is impeached and convicted.

He might be impeached, but he'll never be convicted.

I assume that his "base" would still respect the rule of law, or they could move to Russia?

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You are correct that this trial of Manafort has little to nothing to do with 45 and/or collusion. It is about Manafort's personal finance issues.

However his OTHER trial which if forthcoming is a different story entirely.

• Like 1

It's amazing that all these contractors, vendors, tailors, car dealers accepted payments in the form of off-shore wire transfers from the Bank of Cyprus, where Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross was previously Vice-Chairman.

Accepting that form of payment should have been a red-flag, or it would be to anyone with half a brain, as it would involve one directly in a potential money-laundering charge.

And if some of these "suppliers" falsified invoices, and kick back cash - a classic money-laundering technique, one can understand why they've been indemnified.

The fact that Paully Man did it this way seems like a dead giveaway?

Cyprus accounts used for homes, contracting, expensive clothing

On Wednesday afternoon, the government sought to establish that Manafort was paying for his family's extravagant lifestyle with wire transfers from Cyprus, a tax haven where Manafort is alleged to have had bank accounts while he was working in Ukraine.   Daniel Opsut, the comptroller of the Mercedes Benz of Alexandria, Virginia, verified promissory notes and wire transfers originating in Nicosia, Cyprus, that had been applied on behalf of Manafort's wife, Kathleen Manafort.

Manafort's neighbor, Wayne Holland, testified, too. The contractor, who also has a real estate license, has known Manafort for 30 years. Holland helped Manafort's daughter, Andrea, purchase her home in Alexandria for $1,899,000 -- paid by wire from Lucicle LLC, a company associated with the Cyprus accounts. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/paul-manafort-trial-bank-fraud-today-2018-08-01-live-updates/

Report: Ex-Trump campaign manager was millions in debt to pro-Russia interests

Former Trump Campaign Manager Paul Manafort was as much as $17 million in debt to pro-Russia interests before joining the Trump campaign, records obtained and reported by The New York Times show.

The Times obtained financial records filed in the tax haven of Cyprus, where Manafort allegedly kept bank accounts while he worked in Ukraine and invested with a Russian oligarch. The Times reported the money appears to have been owned by shell companies connected to his businesses in Ukraine, while he worked as a consultant for the pro-Russia Party of Regions. 

A Cyprus accounting firm certified the records, which included numerous loans, in 2015, several months before Manafort joined the Trump campaign, according to The Times. The documents record activities that apparently took place in 2012 and 2013. Manafort joined the campaign in March 2016. A spokesman for Manafort, Jason Maloni, told The Times the records were "stale and do not purport to reflect any current financial arrangements."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/manafort-debt-pro-russia-interests-report/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I agree that if cornered the Swamp King would rather incite armed civil unrest than go down quietly even in the face of overwhelming evidence. The upside to that is that we will then get rid of some of the worst nutters and teach the rest a lesson.

• Like 2