What is the attraction of people who can't sing?

My Thai gf watches often a Thai TV show "I can see your voice" where celebrities should guess if guests can sing or not.

Some of the guests can sing and that is obviously ok. But some can't sing at all and the noise they make if often horrible. But they continue "singing" and it looks like that is a lot of fun for all those people watching. I have to admit I don't see the attraction of people who can't sing.

In other countries like the UK there are also shows where some people are good and others bad. But then someone presses on the big red button and the singing stops. Nobody watches the failures trying to do something they can't do for a long time.

Does anybody understand why people watch that?

There really is someone worse sounding than me?

But agree that program has some really awful sounds - I try to be watching video using headphones when on.

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, transam said:

What I think is great in LOS is that folk will have a go...For sure rough singing getting on tele is questionable but at least those who try have the balls to have a go....:thumbsup:

Whenever there is a birthday or getting together in the family out comes the portable karaoke machine and away they go. Doesnt matter if they have had a drink or not they love it. I enjoy watching them irrespective of how good they are especially with all the dance moves. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 2

They use sharps & flats a whole lot differently than what our ears are use to....

Some of the old traditional Thai songs sound like a cat fight = and, they evidently are supposed to....

I've asked when they are watching some of these if the singer is doing a good job & am told yes (also backed by audience response)....Doesn't sound good to me.....

We do sing - they sing Thai/western songs .....

My wife & one daughter do well enough in both to know that they have a decent ear for tones......

But, some of the sounds that come off of some of the Thai TV singing contests do assault the senses....

At many schools, kids (even the poor singers) take turns singing the national anthem, rather than having only the "best" singers perform day after day. The neighbor's wife who can't keep a tune to save her life regularly serenades the moo ban with her singing. I used to go to after-work karaoke bars with Japanese salarymen, some of whom weren't especially good singers.

I think the simple explanation is that the focus is on social bonding rather than the singer's technical skill. On TV shows, the producers probably know that if contestants were humiliated it might be hard to book future contestants. The judges always seem to be very gentle in their critiques. I've never heard anybody get the 'don't quit your day job' treatment. A charming example of 'face-saving' culture?

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

Would like to expand a little bit on this.

Some Thai Live Bands in tourist-spots are doing an OK job playing "Hotel California" etc etc....but most of them are not really up to it. Having limited instrumental-skills and not knowing what you are singing about, makes it hard to "bring the song over". (For the same reason, I would never dare to perform a Thai-Song in public). What I sing and otherwise do under the shower is my business!

- I myself was born as a poor black child in a lousy neighborhood (Beverly-Hills), but still I consider myself as a polite person. This is the only thing that keeps me from approaching certain Thai Live Bands, offering them a royal sum of money, just so that they would stop performing and go home.

I know damm well why the Rolling-Stones are not performing nightly at "Lulu's Bar & Grill" in Pattaya. They would never qualify for a work-permit. (......what a Thai can do, a Farang is not allowed to do).
Cheers.