Best pick-up to buy for budget up to 680.000 Baht

wolf81

On 8/4/2018 at 8:22 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Although I wouldn't care about tax: a four door pickup is the highest in tax.

It is taxed by displacement like a limousine.

For tax they are not pickups (which are taxed by empty weight).

But we are talking of sums not more than about 4000 Baht/year for a big pickup.

I pay nearly 5000B for my 4-door pick-up. And I believe that the SUV version of the same vehicle would cost me more.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, transam said:

My 4x4 PU has a section in the handbook giving a warning about roll over. The warning is not because of a manufacturing design fault, they are warning because of the rides usage design and it's limitations.

Many moons back I took a heavy goods vehicle test so that I could drive and understand them.

Big money, even moons ago, well done.! I got mine in Styafford City U.K. Class A,in 1988. enjoyed the people during my stay there.Also got UK Car one, all long expired now.Also got addiction for Egg Bacon Sandwich with Daddy Sauces.

19 minutes ago, HAKAPALITA said:

Big money, even moons ago, well done.! I got mine in Styafford City U.K. Class A,in 1988. enjoyed the people during my stay there.Also got UK Car one, all long expired now.Also got addiction for Egg Bacon Sandwich with Daddy Sauces.

My test was in 1970....I to enjoyed a "Banjo"...It was our name for an egg and bacon sarnie...:stoner:

When I bought my vehicle I wanted something large and visible that could cope with bad roads and occasional floods, and that would allow me to climb up into it rather than have to climb up out of it. Also I wanted automatic transmission. I dont live in Bangkok so I didnt care about parking in small sois. I didnt need or want 4WD.

So my choice was either some sort of pickup or some sort of SUV. Given that SUVs cost about 20-30% more than the pickups they are based on, and given that I never sit in the back seats or even use them, a pickup seemed the obvious choice.

So I have a 4-door pickup with automatic transmission, and I am happy with it.

I drove a four-door pickup here for 16 years, last one was a 3l AT Isuzu. Have a 2.8 Fortuner now which is okay, but I think I liked the Isuzu better. Certainly cheaper to buy and maintain, and about the same on fuel.

Just an update: with the GF decided to check out the Toyota Hilux Revo "Rocco". We'd like the automatic transmission and 2 "Rocco" types have quite a few extra safety features.

This means our budget will increase to 1.100.000 Baht. My GF will pay an advance (500.000 Baht) and I will probably pay her back over the course of the coming 10 months, provided I have enough work coming in. And if not, it will be slower. 

We're hoping to visit a car dealer tomorrow or Saturday.

There does seam to be some Toyota 100.000 Baht discount promotion going on until the end of august, but my GF explained its more like a lottery. Have a chance to get the discount, but not guaranteed for every purchased car in this period.

If there are some good arguments against the "Rocco" pick-up, would be happy to hear them. Or if there would be some better alternatives for a 1.100.000 Baht budget.

Just an update: with the GF decided to check out the Toyota Hilux Revo "Rocco". We'd like the automatic transmission and 2 "Rocco" types have quite a few extra safety features.

This means our budget will increase to 1.100.000 Baht. My GF will pay an advance (500.000 Baht) and I will probably pay her back over the course of the coming 10 months, provided I have enough work coming in. And if not, it will be slower. 

There does seam to be some Toyota 100.000 Baht discount promotion going on until the end of august, but my GF explained its more like a lottery. Have a chance to get the discount, but not guaranteed for every purchased car in this period.

If there are some good arguments against the "Rocco" pick-up, would be happy to hear them. Or if there would be some better alternatives for a 1.100.000 Baht budget.

The Rocco is a good choice, just make sure you like the way it looks and drives.

I think there’s a motor show in Bangkok later this month where you can see most everything, and perhaps get a “promotion”.

For 1.1 I think you can get the base MuX...

55 minutes ago, wolf81 said:

If I had the cash I would to, this colour....

revo.jpg.4d375698393bd1bf3dc954e1a4f4acff.jpg

26 minutes ago, transam said:

If I had the cash I would to, this colour....

revo.jpg.4d375698393bd1bf3dc954e1a4f4acff.jpg

From what I read, Thai people prefer white. So with regards to resale value, white is probably the better choice.

My GF already made up she want the car pearly white though, since her sister has a 2.000.000 Baht Fortuner in the same color. 

1 hour ago, wolf81 said:

From what I read, Thai people prefer white. So with regards to resale value, white is probably the better choice.

My GF already made up she want the car pearly white though, since her sister has a 2.000.000 Baht Fortuner in the same color. 

Seems most folk drive silver rides here, l hate silver. When I bought my Toyota truck I thought about white, they told me white was extra, so went for my initial choice of blue, had to wait a month till they did a run of blue, l was OK with that..:stoner:

21 minutes ago, transam said:

Seems most folk drive silver rides here, l hate silver. When I bought my Toyota truck I thought about white, they told me white was extra, so went for my initial choice of blue, had to wait a month till they did a run of blue, l was OK with that..:stoner:

White is the cheapest at Isuzu other colours are 7000 baht extra I like silver because I'm lazy it looks clean even when dirty.  ?

Me and the Mrs joke when we see a pose white cheapskates car.  ?

White is the cheapest at Isuzu other colours are 7000 baht extra I like silver because I'm lazy it looks clean even when dirty.  [emoji106]
Me and the Mrs joke when we see a pose white cheapskates car.  [emoji16]

As I recall, pearl white & metallics are extra at Isuzu, with the pearl being most expensive.

Regular white and blue are no extra.

11 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

White is the cheapest at Isuzu other colours are 7000 baht extra I like silver because I'm lazy it looks clean even when dirty.  ?

Me and the Mrs joke when we see a pose white cheapskates car.  ?

But they use white emulsion....?

Just now, mogandave said:

As I recall, pearl white & metallics are extra at Isuzu, with the pearl being most expensive.

Regular white and blue are no extra.

When we picked the truck we wanted don't know what white Isuzu did they offered the white one they had in stock it was white so noway thanks paid the 7000 extra.

Everybody for the last few years around our area have white cars/trucks and wash them every day there soo common here,  for me we stuck to one of the common metallic silvers on offer. ?

On 8/4/2018 at 8:22 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Don't "fall for the pickups are sturdy/safe due to their mass" myth.

Just look at the daily carnage.

Light weight build, 1.5 tons with heavy motor, ax Thereles, wheels etc.

But the chassis does nothing for safety.

Well put.     There's not guarantee a person will walk away from any accident.

1763474622_trucktruck.jpeg.ee8dbc5a3de797676ae8959052419b67.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

When we picked the truck we wanted don't know what white Isuzu did they offered the white one they had in stock it was white so noway thanks paid the 7000 extra.

Everybody for the last few years around our area have white cars/trucks and wash them every day there soo common here,  for me we stuck to one of the common metallic silvers on offer. ?

The pearl white is really nice however.

11 minutes ago, watcharacters said:

The pearl white is really nice however.

? ?  If owners like cleaning car/suv/trucks or paying for it go for it.

Getting my first truck in Thailand which was the Thai in colour at the time, metallic black was a big mistake.

[emoji16] [emoji23]  If owners like cleaning car/suv/trucks or paying for it go for it.

Getting my first truck in Thailand which was the Thai in colour at the time, metallic black was a big mistake.

I bought my first black car around 30 years ago in the uk ....... never again !!!
Said that again when I bought my next black car 15 years later [emoji20]

What’s that saying “ once bitten, twice bitten ? “ [emoji848]

Although I will say that white cars look cleaner longer than black ( IMO ).

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

? ?  If owners like cleaning car/suv/trucks or paying for it go for it.

I've had pearl white and don't recall any cleaning difference from any other car I've had.

I guess you simple clear a car as often as it suits you.   I fuel the economy and have it done at a car wash I like.   ?

Archived