Best pick-up to buy for budget up to 680.000 Baht

wolf81

4 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

But Pickups are Trucks. They dont 'give' in a front on collision, like a passenger car is designed to do, and they dont handle well.

Hit a tree/wall?  Better off in a top end large car than a Pickup - Trucks dont give and they take all the impact - tend to have cheap airbags etc.

Front on with another vehicle?  Better off in a pick up - especially if you hit a car because the car will 'absorb' much of the impact.

Roll over? Better off in a large passenger car - Truck roofs/sides are not designed to take much impact and most have little/no inside rollover safety (bags etc).

Side on collision?  Better off in a large passenger car - Trucks have very little side-on protection.

Best solution?  Buy a large Mercedes - get a used one if you cant afford new (find a well maintained one though ?)

Second best solution (cheaper)?  Get a Pickup that has lots of 'safety extras'.

https://www.trucks.com/2017/03/15/pickup-trucks-struggle-safety-ratings/

The road safety issue with pickups in Thailand is that many Thais drive Pickups far too fast and dangerously (no comment why).

Pickups lose control very easily when brakes applied too quickly or wheel turned too fast or when they corner too fast or in the wet.

A luxury pickup with 5* everything passes the same tests as other cars with 5* results 

Of course it won't handle the same but horses for courses my friend

The 4x4 will do a lot the 2 wheel drive sedan won't also 

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, ELVIS123456 said:

But Pickups are Trucks. They dont 'give' in a front on collision, like a passenger car is designed to do, and they dont handle well.

Hit a tree/wall?  Better off in a top end large car than a Pickup - Trucks dont give and they take all the impact - tend to have cheap airbags etc.

Front on with another vehicle?  Better off in a pick up - especially if you hit a car because the car will 'absorb' much of the impact.

Roll over? Better off in a large passenger car - Truck roofs/sides are not designed to take much impact and most have little/no inside rollover safety (bags etc).

Side on collision?  Better off in a large passenger car - Trucks have very little side-on protection.

Best solution?  Buy a large Mercedes - get a used one if you cant afford new (find a well maintained one though ?)

Second best solution (cheaper)?  Get a Pickup that has lots of 'safety extras'.

https://www.trucks.com/2017/03/15/pickup-trucks-struggle-safety-ratings/

The road safety issue with pickups in Thailand is that many Thais drive Pickups far too fast and dangerously (no comment why).

Pickups lose control very easily when brakes applied too quickly or wheel turned too fast or when they corner too fast or in the wet.

I ain't a Thai and I know how to drive different vehicles taking into account the pros and cons of driving different vehicles...?

'''My GF would prefer a more expensive car (up to 1.000.000 Baht), but I am not sure if that would really be a good choice for us. I think her preference has more to do with "face" and status, not really with rational thoughts.''

I'd agree with her, it sounds like you are too dull for her. Rational thoughts?? 

27 minutes ago, Maradona 10 said:

'''My GF would prefer a more expensive car (up to 1.000.000 Baht), but I am not sure if that would really be a good choice for us. I think her preference has more to do with "face" and status, not really with rational thoughts.''

I'd agree with her, it sounds like you are too dull for her. Rational thoughts?? 

Are you her boyfriend....?   ?

On 8/2/2018 at 8:10 PM, wolf81 said:

My GF would prefer a more expensive car (up to 1.000.000 Baht), but I am not sure if that would really be a good choice for us. I think her preference has more to do with "face" and status, not really with rational thoughts. 

sorry to say as I don't subscribe to this idea, but I have been told by many Thais buying a pickup means you are a farmer or working class and not a HiSo. So already your status is not cool.

In the USA, people buy $50k plus pickup trucks just because they always wanted one, not because they need one.

That is something Thais don't understand, like beach shirts and shorts to them means you are broke even if you are a CEO and paid $300 for your shirt.

6 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

sorry to say as I don't subscribe to this idea, but I have been told by many Thais buying a pickup means you are a farmer or working class and not a HiSo. So already your status is not cool.

I don't think that is quite true...

22 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

In the USA, people buy $50k plus pickup trucks just because they always wanted one, not because they need one.

That is something Thais don't understand, like beach shirts and shorts to them means you are broke even if you are a CEO and paid $300 for your shirt.

My wife is a school director and we have an Isuzu spacecab.

Sod all to do with face /status or anything else like that.

We have a pickup because it has double doors, makes life a lot easier getting me in.

When i first came home from hospital my wife was using her sisters Vios, damn near impossible to get me in, even with the electric winch.

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

We have a pickup because it has double doors, makes life a lot easier getting me in.

When i first came home from hospital my wife was using her sisters Vios, damn near impossible to get me in, even with the electric winch.

Think you will agree there has been a lot of posted nonsense  ....?

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

Hello Colin, how are you today?

Yes for you it has nothing to do with status and you have a very real need for a practical vehicle. 

But you should know Thais are controlled all their lives by status and face.

Down here in Hua Hin it is a constant parade of Mercedes BMWs and even a few super cars.

Pickup trucks don't get parked in front of the Intercontinental.

I don't make these rules. :cheesy:

13 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Yes for you it has nothing to do with status and you have a very real need for a practical vehicle. 

Down here in Hua Hin it is a constant parade of Mercedes BMWs and even a few super cars.

47% of all cars sold in Thailand in 2016 were pickups. They are a status symbol to Thais and sometimes others. It's all about size.

Apparently the size of your car is inversely proportional to the size of your penis.

I drive a Mitsubishi Mirage. ?

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

47% of all cars sold in Thailand in 2016 were pickups. They are a status symbol to Thais and sometimes others. It's all about size.

Apparently the size of your car is inversely proportional to the size of your penis.

I drive a Mitsubishi Mirage.

You drive a Mitsubishi mirage, so is that why your mates call you Weiner?:cheesy:

3 minutes ago, Spidey said:

I drive a Mitsubishi Mirage.

And if you have a red pick - up it physiologically increases penis size 3 fold. Unfortunately as is evident to their road skills , it reduces the driving skills common sense by a similar proportion. but the good news is that a third of zero is still zero

5 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

middle class Thais.

A HiSo Thai would never buy a pickup truck.

Their cars cost start at three million baht. 

Wouldn't know, I prefer not to associate with Hi So Thais. I hate snobs and much prefer to associate with Issan farmers/baan noaks.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

Aaaaah, Hua Hin, the land of no potholes .....?

21 minutes ago, transam said:

Aaaaah, Hua Hin, the land of no potholes .....?

The Hua Hin you can walk about a half an hour....? Limited things to see, do, and few places to eat.....Yawn....

Worth about one visit.....Not much to recommend it (unless maybe you want to study the parked cars in the limited places available?)......

45 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

The Hua Hin you can walk about a half an hour....? Limited things to see, do, and few places to eat.....Yawn....

Worth about one visit.....Not much to recommend it (unless maybe you want to study the parked cars in the limited places available?)......

Where do you live yourself?

12 minutes ago, Maradona 10 said:

Where do you live yourself?

Chiang Mai - outer area....

Close enough to be down town in just over half an hour - if I absolutely have to.....

But out far enough to enjoy  the "country" feel & pace/quiet of it....

6 hours ago, Ks45672 said:

A luxury pickup with 5* everything passes the same tests as other cars with 5* results 

Of course it won't handle the same but horses for courses my friend

The 4x4 will do a lot the 2 wheel drive sedan won't also 

6 hours ago, transam said:

I ain't a Thai and I know how to drive different vehicles taking into account the pros and cons of driving different vehicles...?

https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career/death-by-auto-things-every-driver-should-know-about-crash-deaths.html/

6. SUVs and pickups lead in fatal rollovers

Although SUVs and pickup trucks have come a long way over the years, these vehicle classes still lead the industry when it comes to risk of rolling over. Looking at fatal crash records, this factor should still be on the minds of auto consumers in 2017. Compared to sedans, which had a 23% rate of rollover death, SUVs had more than double the rate at 48%. Pickups, at 42%, were not far behind SUVs in this scary stat.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/general-statistics/fatalityfacts/passenger-vehicles

Pickups and SUVs are proportionally more likely than cars to be in fatal single-vehicle crashes, especially rollovers. However, pickups and SUVs generally are heavier than cars, so occupant deaths in SUVs and pickups are less likely to occur in multiple-vehicle crashes.

Forty-one percent of car occupant deaths in 2016 occurred in single-vehicle crashes and 59 percent occurred in multiple-vehicle crashes. In contrast, single-vehicle crashes accounted for 56 percent of SUV occupant deaths and 59 percent of pickup occupant deaths.

1 hour ago, ELVIS123456 said:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career/death-by-auto-things-every-driver-should-know-about-crash-deaths.html/

Although SUVs and pickup trucks have come a long way over the years, these vehicle classes still lead the industry when it comes to risk of rolling over. Looking at fatal crash records, this factor should still be on the minds of auto consumers in 2017. Compared to sedans, which had a 23% rate of rollover death, SUVs had more than double the rate at 48%. Pickups, at 42%, were not far behind SUVs in this scary stat.

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/t/general-statistics/fatalityfacts/passenger-vehicles

Pickups and SUVs are proportionally more likely than cars to be in fatal single-vehicle crashes, especially rollovers. However, pickups and SUVs generally are heavier than cars, so occupant deaths in SUVs and pickups are less likely to occur in multiple-vehicle crashes.

Forty-one percent of car occupant deaths in 2016 occurred in single-vehicle crashes and 59 percent occurred in multiple-vehicle crashes. In contrast, single-vehicle crashes accounted for 56 percent of SUV occupant deaths and 59 percent of pickup occupant deaths.

Where does the "in Thailand, more than 80% of road traffic fatalities are on motorbikes" fit into those two links?

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Where does the "in Thailand, more than 80% of road traffic fatalities are on motorbikes" fit into those two links?

Last I saw was 94 out of every 100 road fatalities.....

9 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

Its common knowledge a pickup won't handle like an f1 car

Why would you expect it to? 

As Clint once said " a man's got to know his limitations" ?

I think people should buy what they like.

I don’t give much of a hoot about resale value or safety.

I do care about the way something drives, looks and feels, as well as reliability and total cost of ownership.

I buy something to drive, not something to crash or sell...

12 hours ago, ELVIS123456 said:

My 4x4 PU has a section in the handbook giving a warning about roll over. The warning is not because of a manufacturing design fault, they are warning because of the rides usage design and it's limitations.

Many moons back I took a heavy goods vehicle test so that I could drive and understand them.

47 minutes ago, transam said:

My 4x4 PU has a section in the handbook giving a warning about roll over. The warning is not because of a manufacturing design fault, they are warning because of the rides usage design and it's limitations.

Many moons back I took a heavy goods vehicle test so that I could drive and understand them.

With any vehicle the primary safety concern is the abilities of the driver not the vehicle.

3 minutes ago, mogandave said:

You mean a tall vehicle with a high center of gravity rolls over more easily than a short people with a low center of gravity?

Shocking...

Absolutely, I am not tall and I know that the chances of me rolling over is only in my thoughts after 6 pints...:stoner:

When I bought my vehicle I wanted something large and visible that could cope with bad roads and occasional floods, and that would allow me to climb up into it rather than have to climb up out of it. Also I wanted automatic transmission. I dont live in Bangkok so I didnt care about parking in small sois. I didnt need or want 4WD.

So my choice was either some sort of pickup or some sort of SUV. Given that SUVs cost about 20-30% more than the pickups they are based on, and given that I never sit in the back seats or even use them, a pickup seemed the obvious choice.

So I have a 4-door pickup with automatic transmission, and I am happy with it.

Archived