U.S. topic -- Is there a safe, "legal", non-expensive way to send a bank/credit card to Thailand?

For those of us that get replacement cards sent to a U.S. actual address, other than trips home, any good ideas of getting those cards to Thailand?

I called DHL and they quoted a document mailer minimum one pound for about 130 dollars. OMG!

But they said it was legal for customs as long as declared and a value given, perhaps one dollar.

Any other methods that you've tried that aren't so ridiculously expensive?

I had thought it was more of a 20 to 30 dollar type of thing. 

USPS Priority Air Mail worked for me.

Priority Mail International® Flat Rate Envelope  $32.25

12-1/2" x 9-1/2"

Tell your shipper to put it in between legal papers

You can get smaller USPS priority envelopes but more chance of getting lost I think +

flat rate is the same price.

I tried regular mail twice (disguised in cards etc) but both times stolen/never arrived

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, meechai said:

USPS Priority Air Mail worked for me.

Priority Mail International® Flat Rate Envelope  $32.25

12-1/2" x 9-1/2"

Tell your shipper to put it in between legal papers

You can get smaller USPS priority envelopes but more chance of getting lost I think +

flat rate is the same price.

I tried regular mail twice (disguised in cards etc) but both times stolen/never arrived

That sounds promising.

But getting into details.

I assume they want you to list contents and saying a bank card would probably not be OK.

Or maybe you are stating it's a card?
DHL confirmed to me that was OK for customs but you had to assign a dollar value to the card. 

I reckon probably you aren't saying it's a card though, right? 

So you would put documents (assuming you have to state something)?

By legal papers, I assume you mean standard legal document sized paper (large) meant to what exactly? 

Make it look like a document? Making sure to mask that a card can't be felt?

Would you risk this with multiple cards? 

What about tracking?

I assume you can track it as far as getting to BKK but anything after that?

Does Thai Post deliver like any letter or if not, what?

Thanks. 

Edited by Jingthing
2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

That sounds promising.

But getting into details.

I assume they want you to list contents and saying a bank card would probably not be OK.

Or maybe you are stating it's a card?
DHL confirmed to me that was OK for customs but you had to assign a dollar value to the card. 

I reckon probably you aren't saying it's a card though, right? 

So you would put documents (assuming you have to state something)?

By legal papers, I assume you mean standard legal document sized paper (large) meant to what exactly? 

Make it look like a document? Making sure to mask that a card can't be felt?

Would you risk this with multiple cards? 

What about tracking?

I assume you can track it as far as getting to BKK but anything after that?

Does Thai Post deliver like any letter or if not, what?

Thanks. 

On contents my daughter just put legal documents or documents

No definitely did not say card after two previous failed attempts

Value we just wrote NCV or no commercial value documents only

Yes by legal paper I meant legal sized & easy to tape card to one in the middle

or even put cardboard inside to disguise shape/feel etc

Yes I think for what ever reason could risk multi cards but we just had the one that time.

I am guessing the Priority Air Mail look may carry a higher security. Maybe it is better watched/sorted etc due to tracking

You know I never tracked last time as it came so quickly but I believe tracking is available through usps.co while in the USA & later thru Thai Post

Yes Thai post delivers as usual

***On a side note.....It was not a hassle cancelling stolen cards & they were not used even though I waited a full month to report.

One thing also is I had my daughter send me in multi emails the card number & security code/expiration date.

I was actually using card for a few months before I had her mail it. I was suing for online things & paying property taxes in USA etc.

So unless you need the physical card that is also an option.

When I reported them lost I never said due to mailing them although my credit company knows we are in Thailand they of course do not mail cards to Thailand

Probably same for you

Good luck & as others said it is a bit of a shame that they go missing in Thailand mail but TIT

My US bank  has been sending my card to my Thai address for the past ten years. Never a problem. But I had to change my Thai mailing address to a US address because a number of US companies demand that you have a US mailing address when using your card. For example, Turbo tax wouldn't let me pay for my completed tax return unless I had a US mailing address when I submitted my credit card number. A few other companies likewise. Seems very strange in an age of globalization with over 9 million Americans living and or working overseas we still need to use a US mailing address. Why do they care what your mailing address is as long as they get a valid credit card number.

I now use my brother's US mailing address so when my present credit card expires it will be sent to his address and he, in return, will have to send it to Thailand. USPS priority mail at over $32.00 seem a bit expensive but maybe better safe than sorry. My guess is that if a dishonest Thai postal worker doesn't notice the credit card shape when handling the envelope your safe. Maybe just put the card between some paper padding until it's shape can't be detected. 

Actually, unlike 20 years ago, I have not had any problem receiving mail from the US. Bills, packages, Amazon books, Kindles, CD's, vitamins, Christmas,  presents including cookies, social security notices, Thai income tax refunds all seem to arrive intact. Don't think I would send cash though.

Do you plan to have the credit card issuer send the credit card directly, or are you relying on an intermediary? 

I've had credit card issuers send me new/replacement cards here in Thailand -even though my address of record is in the U.S., never had a problem, they use a tracking carrier, most recently UPS, they used to do this for free, just started charging $15, can track parcel to my home.

If using an intermediary I have had them use USPS International Priority Mail envelopes, I think these are ~ $30-ish to THL, takes a week-ish, trackable. Again, 100% success delivery rate.

I did have one card sent by an intermediary via regular USPS airmail, to my Thai Post Post Office Box, ~ $5-ish, delivery took close to 14 days, but with a Thai holiday or three in the mix.

My US bank  has been sending my card to my Thai address for the past ten years. Never a problem. But I had to change my Thai mailing address to a US address because a number of US companies demand that you have a US mailing address when using your card. For example, Turbo tax wouldn't let me pay for my completed tax return unless I had a US mailing address when I submitted my credit card number. A few other companies likewise. Seems very strange in an age of globalization with over 9 million Americans living and or working overseas we still need to use a US mailing address. Why do they care what your mailing address is as long as they get a valid credit card number.

I now use my brother's US mailing address so when my present credit card expires it will be sent to his address and he, in return, will have to send it to Thailand. USPS priority mail at over $32.00 seem a bit expensive but maybe better safe than sorry. My guess is that if a dishonest Thai postal worker doesn't notice the credit card shape when handling the envelope your safe. Maybe just put the card between some paper padding until it's shape can't be detected. 

Actually, unlike 20 years ago, I have not had any problem receiving mail from the US. Bills, packages, Amazon books, Kindles, CD's, vitamins, Christmas,  presents including cookies, social security notices, Thai income tax refunds all seem to arrive intact. Don't think I would send cash though.

Well the bank sends me the card as far as I know. I might call them and ask them to send the card to my Thai address. They have done this in the past. But having a foreign address is problematic these days. Actually, I want to open an account with one of the American Banks that refund the 270 baht charge when you use the Thai ATM machine. I think Capital One and Schwab are 2 banks that will do this. And there is no charge for international transactions.My present card/bank charge 4% when I use it in Thailand, not to mention the Thai charge of 270 baht I think. So obviously I rarely use it in Thailand. 

We use a mail forwarding service and whenever we get a new credit card it's sent with the regular mail.  They use DHL and it's part of the combined mailing of letters and magazines. 

One time a package got tangled in some DHL sorting equipment in Hong Kong and the package arrived with a note of explanation.  Several envelopes were missing, including one with a new credit card (of course!) and one from the IRS with our SSNs and other personal info (also, of course!)  We cancelled the new credit card and fussed at DHL for how amazingly selective it was that just certain envelopes were lost when the package was ripped open by their sorting equipment.  I guess no one was interested in slightly dated issues of The Economist magazine or our college alumni newsletters.

Anyway, a week later the missing envelopes arrived from DHL, unopened.  Of course, we'd cancelled the credit card by then.

Since then our mailforwarding service puts the letter-sized envelopes in a larger envelope and holds the entire bundle together with two large rubber bands before inserting in the DHL package in case the package rips open again during shipment.  This prevents any lose envelopes from scattering.

7 hours ago, khaepmu said:

My present card/bank charge 4% when I use it in Thailand,

Ouch. There are gazillions of "No Foreign Transaction Fee" credit cards, including some with no annual fees forever. Honestly, no reason not to have one in your card quiver. Your bank probably has one on hand? 

https://www.nerdwallet.com/best/credit-cards/no-foreign-transaction-fee

Fidelity and Schwab, among others, refund ATM fees.

8 hours ago, khaepmu said:

But having a foreign address is problematic these days.

Yes, but when requesting a new/replacement card just tell them you are in Thailand for an extended period, and could they send the card. At least that's what I've done between trips back home, and asking friends/family to pick up a new card at my UPS box, and forward it.

Referring to the last post, I am wondering if one can open an account with Capital One (or Schwab) even though I live in Thailand but use my brother's US mailing address. I use his address for all my financial stuff in the States since it seems US banks and financial institutions won't accept opening  accounts with non-US addresses. I thought I might be able to fill out an application online, insert my US mailing address and then have my brother send me the card in Thailand. Maybe that's too easy.

Chase and USAA send cards normal mail to Thailand and have never had an issue (been 25 years now).  For cards sent to my sisters address she also just uses a normal letter to send.  A piece of cardboard or several layers of paper to change the size/feel is always a good idea.

Obviously there might be issues at a small PO if you regularly have mail missing but here in Bangkok have never had that problem.  The only time mail has been missing it was lost by US Postal Service sending to some South American Island or such and turned up a month or up to more than a year later.  Even if a card is lost obtaining a replacement is not that hard.

• Thanks 1

I have two addresses at my banks as well as government contacts with regard to health care and pension etc - one the primary and the other is a mailing address to a P.O. Box here in Thailand - I use this method on four different banks and cards.  Just go paperless and use online banking, but replacement cards are automatically sent to a safe and secure P.O. Box address and they warn you via message in online banking that the card is in route.  Even all SSA activity and other things that are important go to that P.O. Box.  I have had that box for 18 years and the cost is worth every penny of the 600 baht a year.  For local stuff I use the home address or have auto pay for things like light bill, internet etc.  Only need to check the P.O. Box once a month or so normally because I am expecting something to arrive - other things can just  set there until I do.  So even if you have to go to another in range Post Office not that near your home to get a box it is no big deal.   We don't live in the big muang so we check it when we go there.

The other thing is if you do this it only takes a few minutes online to put a stop on the secondary address and everything re-starts going back to the primary without any hassle at all - just a few key strokes because everything is setup already.

the secondary address remains but the use primary is checked or the secondary.  You can turn it on and off anytime.

Thanks for all the feedback. 

This is obviously not about a bank sending it to Thailand.

It's about a card that has been sent to my U.S. address of record.

I need to make a decision about this. I might just leave it there until I visit. 

Edited by Jingthing
On 8/6/2018 at 9:21 AM, khaepmu said:

Referring to the last post, I am wondering if one can open an account with Capital One (or Schwab) even though I live in Thailand but use my brother's US mailing address. I use his address for all my financial stuff in the States since it seems US banks and financial institutions won't accept opening  accounts with non-US addresses. I thought I might be able to fill out an application online, insert my US mailing address and then have my brother send me the card in Thailand. Maybe that's too easy.

In regards to Schwab opening online, I think they will require some kind of proof of residency, including valid U.S. driver's license and a utility bill using the U.S. address you are using. A mailed bank statement might work as well but you'd need the license. 

I think you would also need a U.S. phone number and best to login with a U.S. I.P. Not sure if they red flag VPN logins either. 

It's quite a chore to be a faux U.S. person these days. 

You can open Schwab global accounts through Schwab Singapore but I'm unclear on how those are treated as far as FBAR for a U.S. citizen. 

You can open an online brokerage (and IRA) account (but not bank) with interactivebrokers with passport and proof of foreign residence. 

Edited by Jingthing
23 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This is obviously not about a bank sending it to Thailand.

I mean you could have that card sitting at your U.S. address of record canceled, and have a replacement card sent to you in Thailand. 

It will probably be canceled anyway if it is not activated within a fixed period unless you ring them and give them the details.

Is there someone who can physically retrieve the card/mailer for you? If so, just have them use the USPS International Priority option for ~ $32? Or if mail can be reliably delivered to you here, then just use air mail, for ~ $5.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Thanks 1

Not to be paranoid, OK this is paranoid but it seems like a reasonable question. Aren't international letters screened by x-ray? If so they would see cards regardless of how disguised. So if that's the case and they let them through anyway, maybe they just don't care? 

Edited by Jingthing
8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not to be paranoid, OK this is paranoid but it seems like a reasonable question. Aren't international letters screened by x-ray? If so they would see cards regardless of how disguised. So if that's the case and they let them through anyway, maybe they just don't care? 

There is no issue sending cards as international letters - as I mentioned two of my US banks do this routinely and they are not small banks (USAA and Chase).  What is a concern is final non-automated hand delivery steps where the card might be felt and removed (banks do not use name in return address area to make this less an issue).  But this is a bank worry as you are not liable for any loss - and in most cases there would be none as card would not be activated.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I can activate it from here without holding the card. :coffee1:

Yes, provided you have the CVV. So that means someone trust-worthy to you is currently holding the card?

I would have them mail it to you and wait until you receive it BEFORE activating it.

I'm not seeing a huge issue here unless there is some piece of information we're missing?

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

So if that's the case and they let them through anyway, maybe they just don't care? 

No clue what to make of this? Who is "they"?

When I was living in Thailand I had all my cards sent to a family member's address in the UK (didn't reveal my real country of residence to avoid my cards  & accounts possibly being cancelled), and then sent  on to me by FedEx.

Usually waited until two had accumulated (debit and credit), and sent in exactly the way described above- taped to a piece of card between about 3  sheets of document sized scrap printed paper on either side, and called on the declaration "documents".  For FedEx put a nominal value like $1 to indicate no commercial value.

Always trackable, always arrived on time, and though a bit more expensive, much the least worrying way of doing it.

• Like 1

don't know about arrangements with the US but for many years now replacements for expired debit and credit cards from my bank in the UK have been sent to my Thailand P.O. box simply using the Royal Mail postal service...never any problem...

same when I was living and working in the middle east using the employer's mail box...just one time in saudi when some dumb shit local admin person left the letter lying in the project inbox and never forwarded it to site, nothing to do with the mail service which is quite good in most places the middle east...

the inattentive admin person was then publicly beheaded after Friday prayers as a warning to others...and tutsi stood by impassively...

Edited by tutsiwarrior