Many expats live in Thailand on less than 45,000 baht a month

rooster59

15 hours ago, balo said:

Walking and riding around on a bicycle gives you good health, even in this heat , 

A normal BMI (body mass index)  is important , especially when you get older.

I see too many obese farangs here in Thailand over 50 , they look 10-20 years older than their age  and will probably not be around after 75 .  

It's never too late to start changing your lifestyle. 

If you want to live a full life live in danger.  And I'm 76.

Edited by David Walden
  • Like 1

Obese, 5555 One thing I discovered is that every time I come to Thailand or Cambodia, I lose between 22 lbs. - 25 lbs, in weight by about the end of the second month. And if I stay for four months, I drop about another 15 lbs. Funny thing.....I’m not consciously dieting. 67 years old, feel a lot younger and with more energy when I’m thinner. I go back to Canada and put all the weight back on and feel like crap again, and can’t wait for my next trip to LoS and/or Cambodia. 
    Anyone else experience this ? ?    It can’t be just me. And no, I haven’t had traveller’s diarrhea for many, many years. (Dukoral might have something to do with no traveller’s diarrhea.)
At the beginning of my stay here I had the same experience. Probably the high temperatures boost your metabolism paired with the heat that decrease your appetite.
But for long term after two years I slowly gained weight and now have to be careful what I eat.
I would reckon the sugar intake is generally higher here if you eat normal.
  • Like 2

On 9/7/2018 at 1:06 PM, 9KPhalak said:

Yet pay for a farang English teacher is 30,000 baht per month. 

20 years ago the pay was the same - or more.

No wonder Thailand will remain in the 'middle-income trap' for the forseeable future.

LBJ.jpg

• Like 2

The Thai wife and I are living quite well in northern Thailand with expenses averaging 30,000 baht a month (including expensive medical insurance for me). Once we've moved into the home we are building and stop paying rent I expect we'll drop down to 25,000 per month.

What part of he up country your located ?

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 9/7/2018 at 8:39 PM, suzannegoh said:

I don't know how old the participants in this thread are but some have said that there are working and in some parts of Thailand, such as Chiang Mai, there are a lot of young farangs supporting themselves by doing things like teaching English or digital nomading.

Yea but come pension time they will be in serious do-do. I wanted to come live here before 50 but resisted it fanatically, for visa reasons, but mostly financial. Got to 50 and was here within 2 months. Could live on 45k easily but 100k is easier if you like wine, women and song as I do. But, to be fair, I rarely spend over that 45k figure a month and the rest goes on my many holidays throughout the year.

• Like 1

Yea but come pension time they will be in serious do-do. I wanted to come live here before 50 but resisted it fanatically, for visa reasons, but mostly financial. Got to 50 and was here within 2 months. Could live on 45k easily but 100k is easier if you like wine, women and song as I do. But, to be fair, I rarely spend over that 45k figure a month and the rest goes on my many holidays throughout the year.
I didn't mean to say that I recommended working age people living here if they are only going to be in the able to scrape by, just that many do. Moving to Thailand younger than 50 might be a good thing for mid-career corporate expats or offshore oil workers who get a Western salary plus living expenses but if you're going to be working for local wages it doesn't make a lot of sense economically.
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

but if you're going to be working for local wages it doesn't make a lot of sense economically.

But it does make sense to many western Incels.

I'd rather have 10 years of plentiful sex and die, than live to 100 with none at all.

Which is effectively (and unfortunately) how a lot of western men are forced to live these days.

Totally different for a woman who can have casual sex any time she wants, no matter how she looks, or what her income.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'd rather have 10 years of plentiful sex and die, than live to 100 with none at all.

Which is effectively (and unfortunately) how a lot of western men are forced to live these days.

Castration would be a better plan than that.

Totally different for a woman who can have casual sex any time she wants, no matter how she looks, or what her income.
You can have both. If you live a healthy life and carefully choose what you eat and drink you can have sex when you turn 90 , no erection problems. I read a story about a 92 year old who had weekly sex .

3 hours ago, ostyan said:

I don't understand the point of this article. It is widely known that schools want teachers around 30k-40k.  In fact, European teachers can earn something around 35K and natives 40-45K. 

What are you speaking about here?

I said the same thing two months ago...let alone 40K puts you in the top 20% of households in BKK.

ANd if they can pull it off..they prefer Filipinoes at 20K, with an African or two.

Edited by moontang

16 minutes ago, balo said:

You can have both. If you live a healthy life and carefully choose what you eat and drink you can have sex when you turn 90 , no erection problems. I read a story about a 92 year old who had weekly sex .

Sure, if you stay here.

I think he was referring to western countries and western women.

I still keep contact with many of my friends in the US and they never have sex. Maybe twice a year.

Western women use it as a major control issue.  It is sick and disgusting.

They cannot get a divorce because it will cost too much.  So, they turn to the internet for release probably the same girls I am actually seeing in person. ?

Most western women I believe create a depressing lifestyle in later life.

I will remain here thanks.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Sure, if you stay here.

I think he was referring to western countries and western women.

I still keep contact with many of my friends in the US and they never have sex. Maybe twice a year.

Western women use it as a major control issue.  It is sick and disgusting.

They cannot get a divorce because it will cost too much.  So, they turn to the internet for release probably the same girls I am actually seeing in person. ?

Most western women I believe create a depressing lifestyle in later life.

I will remain here thanks.

My parents are still in love after 62 years, and divorce never crossed their minds, but they are rare exceptions, and most of my friends in their 50s and 60s are in the situation as you describe.  And quite a few would express their disgust at someone banging a bar girl, even though their sins from 30 years ago are costing them 5000+USD per month..and not a kiss.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2018 at 1:12 PM, ostyan said:

I don't understand the point of this article. It is widely known that schools want teachers around 30k-40k.  In fact, European teachers can earn something around 35K and natives 40-45K. 

What are you speaking about here?

Where ?