Many expats live in Thailand on less than 45,000 baht a month

rooster59

54 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

So, like I said.

You and others have nothing to prove your "largest mass exodus in farang history" theories.

Things that you "have heard" have nothing to do with facts.

I would say very few have left.  If you know anything about business here, in many cases downward business is due to poor business practices and models.

If

54 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

so many have, there certainly is a lack of reports from those "other places" everyone is threatening going too.

So, like I said you have no facts to support your "mass exodus" conspiracies...

But, believe what ever you want if it makes you feel better.

hard numbers?

Edited by moontang

21 minutes ago, dcnx said:

There’s a pattern happening in many countries now where people are moving for retirement or getting investor visas, the prices are being raised considerably. Some have even doubled and tripled the amount. Once Thailand catches on, it’s going to get a lot more expensive.

Hopefully the old timers will get grandfathered in, but I wouldn’t count on it. At least not if the current government is in charge. They are clearly anti foreigner.

Best everyone wanting to stay long term can hope for is a regime change. But that’s also temporary because another one will come after that. And then another.

The military junta changed the Constitution in Thailand. They have now every seat in the Senate, so there are small possibilities for a regime change.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, suzannegoh said:

Getting a job that "pays the way" in a low cost country is a trap. If your salary is going to be proportional to your living expenses and is greater than your living expenses, then you will be able to save more money if you work somewhere where the cost of living is higher. That's what digital Nomads generally seem to get backwards - the time to concentrate on reducing expenses is during retirement not during your prime earning years.

Mind you, where are the jobs/opportunities these days?  They don't grow on trees.  I do agree with you though.  Everyone has to endure lean times; hopefully not not for too long though.

On 8/5/2018 at 11:19 AM, Maradona 10 said:

Sorry, Dad.

I wasn't talking about myself and certainly not you, pal.

My experience in living here for many years is that you have 2 types of 'expats' say below retirement years, either the ones that work here on modest salaries, or the dodgy types, ie criminals...if you disagree crack on fella. I think you shouldn't get yourself so wound up with other peoples opinions on a message board. For such a successful guy like yourself I'm surprised you're so angry and resentful of other opinions. Was your somtam too spicy this morning or something?

i think you will find more then that early retired

due to various ailments, faked or real

On 8/5/2018 at 10:28 AM, BEngBKK said:

Yess.....You just have to meet a woman with education, instead choosing the first one that spread her legs.....

In every country people marry and end up in divorce and settlements etc.

Some also get lucky and meet a lady / a man and they have a very happy and stable, caring and devoted life together.

I wasn't looking but suddenly right in front of me was a wonderful Thai lady, a doctor of medicine, we spoke and we clicked on the spot and had a wonderful caring partnership together, sadly she has passed away. 

• Like 1

On 8/5/2018 at 9:24 AM, darksidedog said:

Bit negative in the reporting I thought. After all 75% of us are doing very nicely, Thank You! Two in ten are getting by, with only a fairly small fraction on the floor, or very close. Their numbers are probably fairly accurate, but I personally believe that we should not all be written off as broke, just yet.

I'm not so sure.  In some respects this is a survivor's list.  There has been a form of exodus, and I would suppose they didn't leave because they had too much money.  Thailand's a great place if you have 50k and above at your disposal.

4 hours ago, moontang said:

I guess it was just a coincidence that the largest exodus in farang history came after a ban on sworn letters...

Source for this please?

You may well be correct but is there any factual evidence for it?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Yes, you are right of course.

The deal with the ice cream is that she can have one once a week. Usually on a Thursday afternoon. If she wants an extra one she has to give up something; say turn off the tele for 2 hours to compensate. The daughter has come round to my way of thinking on different subjects. She is developing a fine sense of responsibility. Have to instill monetary discipline into these young Thais or they will run amok.

'Abject poverty'; now's there's a thought. The washing machine broke down a month ago and unable to fix it, have put  big stone in the bathroom for clothes washing. Mrs Owl objected at first, but on losing a bit of weight, now can't thank me enough. Now I'm getting her to keep the gas lower when she steams the rice. I think she is beginning to understand about life in Thailand when married to a farang.

For myself, I darn any clothes, especially shorts, that need replacing. Every day I personally give an egg to the passing  monk each morning. I empty the bucket of water, which drips from the leaky roof onto the daughter's bed every morning. have a good heart and I'm waiting for Brexit to happen so the exchange rate will climb and get above 50 again.

what is funny is that you arent even joking,

i saw an earlier post you pull your own teeth to save a buck, toothpaste and other items like washing powder, shower gel and roll on etc items having become just too pricey. your life revolves around frugality altogether,

and you revel in it !

i had a friend, an old man that got bitter

if a resturant didnt provide free water,

but you would have to pay not 8, but 10 baht for a bottle. i liked and admired him,

he took great pleasure and a real meaning with life saving money, he didnt spend half his pension even.

he later got a heart attack, he survived that, but when bkk pattaya hospital gave him the bill for icu, it was just too much for the old mans golden heart

Edited by brokenbone
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

what is funny is that you arent even joking,

i saw an earlier post you pull your own teeth to save a buck, your life revolves around frugality altogether,

and you revel in it

Kind words brokenbone. But don't think for one minute that others suffer whist I live it up. When we have the dosh we all dance and sing, but on those occasions when we are not so flush, so to speak, we are frugal together. Unfortunately those occasions have been very regular since the Brexit ref'.

It is not long now. Boris will have us out on Halloween night and we Brits can start rejoicing; not just because we will have our freedom back but to see the exchange rate rocket up. Ice creams for all on 1st November I reckon.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

Kind words brokenbone. But don't think for one minute that others suffer whist I live it up. When we have the dosh we all dance and sing, but on those occasions when we are not so flush, so to speak, we are frugal together. Unfortunately those occasions have been very regular since the Brexit ref'.

It is not long now. Boris will have us out on Halloween night and we Brits can start rejoicing; not just because we will have our freedom back but to see the exchange rate rocket up. Ice creams for all on 1st November I reckon.

ok, altho i have been fairly frugal by choice,

i have never been forced into such hardship,

i dont have a reference to it.

well, actually i do !

i went on a strict diet of a meal per day,

if i hadnt drop 0.5 kg next day, i would just consume less to meet my objective, (next day required 1 kg loss to stay on schedule) that was a truly rough month and a half,

i know the fatigue in the last detail.

you really should not count on a better pound exchange in case of no deal brexit, just saying

Edited by brokenbone
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

So, like I said.

You and others have nothing to prove your "largest mass exodus in farang history" theories.

Things that you "have heard" have nothing to do with facts.

I would say very few have left.  If you know anything about business here, in many cases downward business is due to poor business practices and models.

If so many have, there certainly is a lack of reports from those "other places" everyone is threatening going too.

So, like I said you have no facts to support your "mass exodus" conspiracies...

But, believe what ever you want if it makes you feel better.

The "largest mass exodus in Farang history", was the end of 1975. Over 50,000 Farang, (US military) left at one time.  I remember people claiming the Thai economy will never recover. As you can see, the country survived. It will do it again.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mommysboy said:

I'm not so sure.  In some respects this is a survivor's list.  There has been a form of exodus, and I would suppose they didn't leave because they had too much money.  Thailand's a great place if you have 50k and above at your disposal.

I've known quite a few who have left - and it had nothing to do with money for any of them.

Having said this, I agree that the falling exchange rates and uncertainty/fear of the ever changing Immigration rules - may well result in more than a few leaving.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Longcut said:

The "largest mass exodus in Farang history", was the end of 1975. Over 50,000 Farang, (US military) left at one time.  I remember people claiming the Thai economy will never recover. As you can see, the country survived. It will do it again.

Out of curiosity, perhaps ye olde ones here can tell what happened to Pattaya after that exodus? Had it already become a tourist destination? Or did it experience a hibernation?

13 hours ago, Max69xl said:

No need for that when they have every seat in the Senate + the PM 

The military has many factions that are competing. So they might coup-a-loop. I think it's happened once or twice, can't be arsed to check the numerous coups here.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

The military has many factions that are competing. So they might coup-a-loop. I think it's happened once or twice, can't be arsed to check the numerous coups here.

You are correct, but this is the first time the military junta actually changed the Constitution, and took over the Senate.

16 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Yes.

Actually funny.

So difficult and a big ego blow for many to grasp that people in this country make more then they do.

Many in BKK especially.

45,000b is a joke of a salary for many professional Thais.

Taking into account deductions any salary above 20k should be taxable. From more than 40 millions potential taxpayers only 3.2 millions ever filed a tax return. The people on 45k and above per month should be a fairly small percentage.  

• Like 1